Saturday, May 2, 2015

Freeville/Homer Avenue UMC's - Fifth Sunday of Easter - 05/03/15 Sermon - “I am the true vine” (The "I" series: Part 2 of 5)

Sunday 05/03/15 Freeville/Homer Ave UMC’s

Sermon Title: “I am the true vine”                      
(The “I” series: Part 2 of 5)

Old Testament Lesson: Psalm 22:25-31
                                            
New Testament Scripture: 1 John 4:7-21

Gospel Lesson: John 15:1-8                   

          My brothers and sisters, my friends, welcome once again on this the Fifth Sunday of this our Easter Season. This season where death has been overcome, that Christ has been risen, and this season where we are offered our own spiritual resurrections. This season of new life, of hope, and of God’s power and God’s love.
          Last week I began a five week preaching series called the “I” series. This series focuses on five “I” statements that Jesus Christ made about who he was, about promises that he made to his disciples and to us, and about things we as believers are supposed to do. Last week, I preached on the first “I” statement I chose, of when Jesus said in the gospel according to John, “I am the good shepherd” (John 10:11a, CEB).
          In this sermon, I talked about how Jesus was telling his disciples and us, that he is trustworthy, honest, and faithful. That unlike people and leaders that have lead us astray, that Jesus Christ says, “I am the good shepherd” (John 10:11a, CEB). Further, if we can put our trust in Jesus Christ, the Messiah, God in the flesh, we can then realize that we are all shepherds of something. That God has entrusted us all with various things, the care others, and etc., making us all shepherds.
          This morning however, I want to talk about the second “I” statement that I chose. I took this “I” statement from the gospel according to John reading from this morning, when Jesus said, “I am the true vine” (John 15:1a, CEB).
          Now has anyone here ever been to vineyard? Has anyone here ever been up close to a grape vine? Has any here ever picked grapes? Has anyone here ever drank wine? Has anyone here ever picked other things, like raspberries, or blue berries, or etc.?
          I ask these questions, because there are many plants that produce fruit. Whether the plant is a bush, a tree, a plant that grows a vine, or something else, there are many plants that grow fruit.
How many of you hear this morning like to eat fresh fruit? How many of you like to eat fresh fruit that you have picked from your own garden that grew on the plants that you yourself tended to?
          We hear in the Bible in many places scriptures about “bearing fruit.” That fruit is generally seen as a good thing. That most people like fresh fruit, and that most people love to see fruit hanging on the vine, a bush, or a tree. That the fruit is the thing that we seek. In this way, I have never seen someone who was picking raspberries, tear part of the plant off and eat that, instead of the berries. This is because they wanted the fruit.
          Imagine though if you were to tear off a grape vine, or a raspberry stalk, or a piece of a blueberry bush that had fruit on it. Imagine if you then quickly ate that fruit. After that fruit is gone, can you then regrow more fruit on that same vine or that piece of the plant that you tore off? We know that the answer is no. That the vine or the piece of the plant that you have torn off will wither and die, without being connected to the main plant, tree, or vine.
          When we buy someone fresh cut flowers for example, we put them in water, and sometimes even sprinkle in some of that plant food, but soon, the flowers will wither and die.
          I remember talking to someone once who had gotten a tooth knocked out on accident. They put the tooth in a glass of milk the said, and were able to get the dentist in enough time to get the tooth put back in, and save it. Yet, if they were too late, then that tooth would not reconnect to the root in the person’s mouth. If that were to happen, then the tooth would remain detached from that person’s body.
          I give you all of these examples about plants, fresh flowers, and losing a tooth, because I want to connect these example to what Jesus Christ said this morning, when he said, “I am the true vine” (John 15:1a, CEB).
          When Jesus said this, like his shepherd statement from last week, he was once again using language that made sense at the time, to his disciples and his other followers. While we do still have a lot of vineyards today, like shepherds back then, there were many people at the time that Jesus lived in, who worked in vineyards. Growing grapes, pressing them, eating them, and making juice and wine, were very common things for the ancient Israelite people.
          Due to this, it is very likely that Jesus used this imagery of a vine to talk about himself, because his followers would understand it immediately.
In this way, Jesus was telling his disciples, his followers, and us today, that he is like a grape plant, or a raspberry bush, or a blueberry bush. By this, Jesus Christ is saying that He, that God is the very source of life, love, and light itself.
          That God is like a mighty tree trunk and a root system, and we are all the branches of that tree. That our spiritual nutrition flows from the mighty tree trunk and the root system of God. That if we separate ourselves from the source of love, light, and life, we will wither and bear no fruit. That a cut off tree branch will no grow leaves next year, because it’s cut off from its source of life.
          In all of these ways then, Jesus is simply telling us all this morning, to stay connected to Him, to God. That we on our own cannot do what God can. That we cannot make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of world by ourselves, but God can through us. When we are connected to the vine that is Jesus Christ, that is God, then God can use us to change the world for Him.
          It is when we try to do everything on our own, that we cut ourselves off from the vine, from the plant, from the bush, from the tree, from the source, and then our faith grows weak. That our witness to the gospel of Jesus Christ fades, and our ability to bear fruit goes out the door.
          Given all of this, I think that churches in 2015 that are making disciples of Jesus Christ, that are reaching out to the community and to the world, that are loving each other radically, are churches that are connected to “the true vine” (John 15:1a, CEB).
          I think that sometimes though we over think many of the simplicities of the gospel of Jesus Christ. That when we love and trust God, love others, care for others, and bear witness to the gospel of Jesus Christ, that God uses us the branches to bear fruit. That churches who were once feeling like they had no strong future, find new energy, new excitement, and find that God is using them to bear all kinds of fruit.
          All we have to do, is stay connected to God, to Jesus Christ, and to one another. To follow God, and do all of the things that He has called us to do. When we live like this, when we love radically, and when we care abundantly, God uses us to bear fruit.
          So a good question for us to ask ourselves this morning is, do we trust God, and are we connected to “the true vine” (John 15:1a, CEB). Or do we just go to church, have some spirituality, but are not really and truly connected? For when we are really and truly connected, a church that once looked like withering bush, can grow into a mighty tree, with many branches. I don’t know about you, but I want to see this church, a tree that is already growing, to grow into a mighty tree of faith, of service, of love.
          People have asked me before as young pastor, “Pastor Paul how do we grow and strengthen our church?” Well this morning, Jesus says stay connected to me, to God, and love each other radically, and through this, fruit will grow, the community will change, and the world will be made better. This is the gospel of Jesus Christ. This is the gospel of truth.
          For me myself, I know that I cannot do anything on my own. That every day, I surrender my life to Jesus Christ, and do my best to allow God to work through me. That through staying connected to God, I am able to bear the fruit that God has called me to bear. When we do this my brothers and sisters, everything changes. You will see a church that is thriving, growing, and full of life, love, and light. To me then, the gospel of Jesus Christ couldn’t be any easier.
          I really like the reading from this morning from Psalm 22, as it tells us a little bit about worship. It says in 22:25, “I offer praise in the great congregation because of you; I will fulfill my promises in the presence of those who honor God” (Ps. 22:25, CEB). That we come here, not for us, but for Him, for each other, that in Him and through Him, all things are possible, if we stay connect to “the true vine” (John 15:1a, CEB).
          In the reading from the Apostle John’s first epistle or letter from this morning, John speaks of staying connected to God and to each other. He says, “Dear friends, let’s love each other, because love is from God, and everyone who loves is born from God and knows God” (1 John 4:7, CEB). That in Him and through Him, all things are possible, if we stay connected to “the true vine” (John 15:1a, CEB).
          John then goes on say in 4:8-9, “The person who doesn’t love does not know God, because God is love. This is how the love of God is revealed to us: God has sent his only Son into the world so that we can live through him” (1 John 4:8-9, CEB). John then goes on to say in 4:15, “If any of us confess that Jesus is God’s Son, God remains in us and we remain in God” (1 John 4:15, CEB) John then says in 4:16b, “God is love, and those who remain in love remain in God and God remains in them” (1 John 4:16b, CEB). So are we connect to “the true vine” (John 15:1a, CEB)?
          In looking more closely at the gospel according to John reading from this morning, Jesus begins by saying, “I am the true vine, and my Father is the vineyard keeper. He removes any of my branches that don’t produce fruit, and he trims and branch that produces fruit so that it will produce even more fruit” (John 15:1-2, CEB). I do know about you, but sometimes I find that God needs to prune me, that God needs to cut away things from me that keep me from bearing fruit.
          In this way, strong churches, healthy church, flourishing church are churches that are connect to “the true vine” (John 15:1a, CEB). We are also a church here that is willing to be pruned or sculpted when we need to remove things that keeping us from producing fruit.
          Be encouraged though, as Jesus says in 15:3, “You are already trimmed because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, and I will remain in you” (John 15:3, CEB). When we are focused on God, on Jesus Christ, and when we loving each other radically, reaching out, and excited about Jesus Christ, it not only transforms the church, but the whole community.
          Jesus does remind us in 15:4b however that, “A branch can’t produce fruit by itself, but must remain in the vine. Likewise, you can’t produce fruit unless you remain in me” (John 15:4b, CEB). Jesus then says, “I am the vine; you are the branches. I you remain in me and I in you, then you will produce much fruit” (John 15:5, CEB). Jesus then says this simple truth, “Without me, you can’t do anything. If you don’t remain in me, you will be like a branch that is thrown out and dries up. Those branches are gathered up, thrown into a fire, and burned” (John 15:5c-6, CEB).
          My brothers and sisters, this is why we have growing churches and dying churches in American today. To be all that God has called to us to be, we must stay connected to “the true vine” (John 15:1a, CEB).
I would like to close this message with a story called, “Chuck Swindoll,” and the source was listed as being that this story was “heard in a talk by Swindoll.” Here is how it goes: “Chuck Swindoll is a well-known author and preacher. He describes a moment of crisis in his life. He was speaking at a pastor’s conference. By any measure it was successful. Participants begged him to speak longer and were very engaged. But when he was alone in his room at the end of each day he felt an emptiness and frustration.”
“Sensing God was wanting to do something in his life Chuck called four trusted friends. “I want you to listen to my life story and see if anything stands out to you.” And so the four friends and Chuck Swindoll gathered. Beginning with his earliest memory Chuck poured out his life story.”
“When he had finished, one of the friends asked him a few questions and then said, “Chuck, I want you to put your head on the table and close your eyes.” Chuck put his head on the table and closed his eyes.” “Now I want you to imagine your father is holding you in his arms. What do you feel?”
“Almost instantly Chuck began to cry. For thirty minutes he cried his eyes out. You see Chuck’s father had died when Chuck was seven months old. And as he closed his eyes what he felt was pure unconditional love.”
“What Chuck also realized that day was that while he had preached many times about God’s great love he had never made that personal. With his head on the table that day he really felt, for the first time, that Got loved him, that his heavenly father loved him deeply, richly and unconditionally.” “And by his own testimony, he was never the same again.”
My brothers and sisters, when we stay connected to “the true vine,” then and only then can we bear fruit (John 15:1a, CEB). Then and only then, can we be transformed, and can God use us to transform this church, and this community. For the churches all across American right now that don’t get this, that are shrinking, that are worried about the future, they and us would do well to stay connected to “the true vine” (John 15:1a, CEB). Amen.







No comments:

Post a Comment