Friday, April 24, 2015

Freeville/Homer Avenue UMC's - Fourth Sunday in Easter - 04/26/15 Sermon - “I am the good shepherd” (The "I" series: Part 1 of 5)

Sunday 04/26/15 Freeville/Homer Ave UMC’s

Sermon Title: “I am the good shepherd”                      
(The “I” series: Part 1 of 5)

Old Testament Lesson: Psalm 23
                                            
New Testament Scripture: 1 John 3:16-24

Gospel Lesson: John 10:11-18                   

          Welcome again, my friends, my brothers and sisters, on this the Fourth Sunday of the Easter Season. This season of resurrection, of hope, of renewal, of newness of life, and of death and darkness being defeated by life, light, and love. For what is God, but life, light, and love?
          As we continue in this Easter Season, I have decided to start a five week preaching series this morning. This series is called the “I” series. It is called the “I” series, because I will be preaching on five “I” statements that Jesus Christ made. Some of these “I” statements are things that Jesus said about himself, things that he promised to his disciples, or things that we need to do as his followers. The reality is, Jesus said many things about himself, Jesus said many things about how we are supposed to live, and about the kingdom of God. Jesus taught many truths, made many claims, and instructed us in many ways.
          With this is mind, the first “I” statement that I want to look at this morning, is when Jesus said to the disciples in the gospel according to John, “I am the good shepherd” (John 10:11a, CEB). This is definitely a unique thing to say. Further, he isn’t saying that he is just a shepherd, but that he is “the good shepherd” (John 10:11a, CEB).
A shepherd, generally speaking, is the title for a person that herds and cares for sheep, or perhaps other animals. The title shepherd was then put into a Christian context from the beginnings of the Christian faith, in that clergy are sometimes seen as shepherds for the people, or “the flock.” That we have been called by God, to lead the people, to protect the people, and to serve the people. That we are called to instill the truths of God, of Jesus Christ, and to call upon the life changing power of the Holy Spirit. This is also why we sometimes see bishops processing with a shepherds staff or a crozier. This is a curved staff that is designed to grab a sheep at the neck if need be.
          Now in the time period that Jesus lived in, being a shepherd was a common job, as people used the wool from the sheep for clothing, and as people would sometimes eat the sheep, as well. We certainly still have many people who raise sheep today, but in the time period that Jesus lived in, being a shepherd was as common as a person who worked in an office building or a department store.
          In 2015 then, the average American probably knows very little about the actual shepherding of sheep or other animals. Yet Jesus’s disciples and other followers in Ancient Israel and Palestine knew exactly what a shepherd was. Likely they saw and talked to shepherds all the time, and because of this, when Jesus said, “I am the good shepherd,” they understood him much more in this way, than we might understand him today (John 10:11a, CEB).
          The disciples would have likely understood more the importance of a shepherd, and how the shepherd made sure that the sheep were protected, that the sheep were fed, and that the sheep were safe. The Shepherd was even willing to risk their lives to protect the sheep from predators and other threats. For their flock was their life, their livelihood, and a strong part of their identity. To survive, the flock needed a shepherd, and likewise, the shepherd needed the flock.
          This morning though, Jesus is not only saying that he is the shepherd, but that he is “the good shepherd,” in that he will die for the love, the protection, and the care of his sheep (John 10:11a, CEB).

          I have a video clip that I want to show, that explains being a shepherd really well.
~ Show Video Clip ~
So as you can see, Jesus often said things, and spoke truths that had deep and far reaching meanings. That he was saying that while some people and some leaders will lead their people astray, that he would not do this. That he was and is trustworthy. That he was and is the fullness of truth, love, and life, and that he would lead the disciples and us, to life, to love, to grace, and to salvation.
          In Psalm 23 that we read from this morning, it says, “The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; he leads me beside still waters; he restores my soul. He leads me in right paths for his name’s sake” (Ps. 23:1-3, NRSV).
          You see God shepherds us and leads us, and Jesus this morning says “I am the good shepherd” (John 10:11a, CEB). That Jesus, the fullness of God, and the fullness of a human, is God in the flesh. That he, the Lord, leads us. That God leads us. For he is “the good shepherd.” (John 10:11a, CEB).
          The Psalm goes on to say in Psalm 23:4, “Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I fear no evil; for you are with me; your rod and your staff—they comfort me” (Ps. 23:4, NRSV). That God is our source of love, of life, and light, not this world, not wealth, not possessions, not power, but God and God alone. Jesus then says, “I am the good shepherd,” as he was and is the shepherd of us all (John 10:11a, CEB).
          In the Apostle John’s first epistle or letter from this morning, John reminds us that through an act of great love, “Jesus laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters” (1 Jn. 3:16).
          John then says, “But if a person has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need and that person doesn’t care—how can the love of God remain in him” (1 Jn. 3:17). If we allow ourselves to be led by God, to be led by Jesus Christ, “the good shepherd,” then we stay on a good path (John 10:11a, CEB). A path the leads to life and truth, not to death and darkness.
          John then says, “Little children, let’s not love with words or speech but with actions and truth. This is how we will know that we belong to the truth and reassure our hearts in God’s presence” (John 10:18, CEB).
          John encourages us to trust God, to follow Him, and to follow his Son, Jesus Christ. To do this, John says that we must, “believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and love each other as he commanded us” (John 10:23b, CEB).  That “the good shepherd,” Jesus Christ, says to love each other, as he loved us (John 10:11a, CEB).
          In looking more closely at our Gospel of John reading for this morning, Jesus says first, “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep” (John 10:11, CEB). To then offer a comparison of what He means, Jesus then says, “When the hired hand sees the wolf coming, he leaves the sheep and runs away. That’s because he isn’t the shepherd; the sheep aren’t really his. So the wolf attacks the sheep and scatters them” (John 10:12, CEB). Jesus then says, “He’s only a hired hand and the sheep don’t matter to him” (John 10:13, CEB).
          Yet Jesus says, “I am the good shepherd. I know my own sheep and they know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father. I give up my life for the sheep” (John 10:14-15, CEB). Jesus then says that his sheep know his voice, and they follow his voice. Jesus lastly tells his disciples that he will give up his life willingly, and will take it back up willingly, as well.
          We certainly then, have some powerful language spoken to us this morning, by Jesus Christ. In the midst of our own lives, of our own struggles, of our own trials, do we see the hand, and hear the voice of “the good shepherd” (John 10:11a, CEB)? Do we realize our need for God, and our need to follow Christ? Do we see, do we hear, and do we trust?
I want to share a very short story with you, called “Oswald Golter and Unconditional Love.” Here is how it goes: “Oswald Golter was a missionary in northern China during the 1940’s. After ten years of service he was returning home. His ship stopped in India, and while waiting for a boat home he found a group of refugees living in a warehouse on the pier. Unwanted by anyone else, the refugees were stranded there. Golter went to visit them. As it was Christmas-time, he wished them a merry Christmas and asked them what they would like for Christmas.”
“We’re not Christians,” they said. “We don’t believe in Christmas.” “I know,” said the missionary, “but what do you want for Christmas?” They described some German pastries they were particularly fond of, and so Oswald Golter cashed in his ticket, used the money to buy baskets and baskets of the pastries, took them to the refugees, and wished them a merry Christmas.”
“When he later repeated the incident to a class, a student said, “But sir, why did you do that for them? They weren’t Christians. They don’t even believe in Jesus.” “I know,” he replied, “but I do!”
You know, it is so amazing to me that Jesus Christ knew that his own disciples would lose heart. That they wouldn’t “get it” right away. That one of his handpicked disciples Judas Iscariot, would betray him for thirty-pieces of silver. Yet Jesus Christ, God in the flesh, was and is “the good shepherd” (John 10:11a, CEB). So no matter if the sheep are loyal or deceiving, Jesus Christ protects them, feeds them, and lays his life down for them, to show us his love and his truth.
I would like to close this morning with a scripture from the Gospel of John 21:15-19. Now if you remember, the Apostle Peter denied knowing Jesus three times, and the rooster crowed upon the third denial. Here is what this scripture from the gospel of John says though, “When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my lambs.” A second time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Tend my sheep.” He said to him the third time, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter felt hurt because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” And he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep. Very truly, I tell you, when you were younger, you used to fasten your own belt and to go wherever you wished. But when you grow old, you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will fasten a belt around you and take you where you do not wish to go.” (He said this to indicate the kind of death by which he would glorify God.) After this he said to him, “Follow me” (John 21:15-19, NRSV). You see even after Peter, one of Jesus Christ’s flock denied Him, Jesus then said to him, “feed my sheep” (John 21:17c, NRSV).

My brothers and sisters, we are all called to be priests, pastors, and shepherds, not just me, and not just the clergy in general. We have a world that is spiritually hungry for life, love, and light. “The good shepherd,” laid his life down for us, and now he tells us all, “Feed my sheep” (John 10:11a, 21:17c, NRSV). For this is the command of the “King of Kings,” the “Lord or Lords,” “the good shepherd” (John 10:11a, NRSV). Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment