Saturday, September 14, 2013

Freeville/Homer Ave. UMC - Sunday - 09/15/13 Sermon - “The Democracy of the Dead: Listening to the Saints who went before us” (Reclaiming our Wesleyan Heritage Series, Part 2 of 5)

Sunday 09/15/12 FUMC/HAUMC UMC’s

Sermon Title: “The Democracy of the Dead: Listening to the Saints who went before us”
     (Reclaiming our Wesleyan Heritage Series, Part 2 of 5)

Old Testament Scripture Lesson: Jeremiah 4:11-12, 22-28                  
                            
New Testament Scripture Lesson: 1 Timothy 1-12-17

Gospel Lesson: Luke 15:1-10                  

          Good morning my brothers and sisters, and greetings in the name of Risen Christ, on this seventeenth Sunday after Pentecost. Pentecost that holiday so long ago that tongues of fired descended upon the Apostles, and they were will filled with the Spirit. This indwelling of the Holy Spirit, then gave the early Christians the courage and the authority to go forth and preach the gospel far and wide. So far and so wide in fact, that Christianity is the world’s largest religion today, with about 2.2 billion believers. Starting originally with our savior Jesus Christ, 12-Apostles and some others, we have grown to be the world’s biggest faith. In fact, the Christian faith comprises about one-third of the world’s population.
          Given this then, how could this have happened? Why would the early Christians in the Roman Empire be willing to die for their faith in Christ? Are we to believe that all Christians over the past 2,000 years of Christendom have been just fakers?
          If some people were willing to risk life and limb to get the gospel of Jesus Christ to people, then it must be true, must it not? How else can you explain this beautiful church, all of the beautiful churches in this country and the world? To me, this is the reality of the grace and the truth found in Jesus Christ. As the Apostle Paul said in first letter or epistle to Timothy from this morning’s reading, he said “I am grateful to Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because he has judged me faithful and appointed me to his service.” You see these words were originally penned almost 2,000 years ago, and yet we still read and believe these words today. The Apostle Paul then ended this letter to his young friend Timothy by saying, “To the King of the ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.”
          My brothers and sisters, as I am speaking, I would ask that now in this very moment and in this place that you all look around this church for a minute. As you’re doing so, do you notice the stained glass windows? Do you notice all of the beauty of this church? You might notice the names on the stained glass windows, or the metal placards that are all over this church, that commemorate a saint or saints that have gone before us. That at one point, the people of God, saw fit to come together on this holy ground and build this beautiful church. Yet I wonder though, who were those people? Who were the people that invested the time, the money, and the energy to build this beautiful church? Perhaps some of them are listed on the stained glass windows? Perhaps some of them are on some of the metal placards throughout the church? Perhaps some of them are your grand-parents, your great grand-parents, and so on and so forth? Who were these people, and what were they like? What were there faiths like? Did they pray often?
          When I originally gave a sermon similar to this over a year ago, I wondered what it would be like, if would we could, just for full day, bring all these saints I speak of back from this church and all churches straight from heaven, just for one day? What would these saints have to say to us? What would they teach us about our faith? What would this “Democracy of the Dead” have to say about our church, our community, and our country? What if our Methodist founder John Wesley were come in on this same day?
          When I started here at this church, a whopping week ago now I will have you know, I was told “Pastor Paul you feel free to change around the bulletin.” After church last Sunday though, somebody very lovingly brought to my attention, “You know Pastor Paul, I don’t know if you knew this or not, but we always do this or that in every church service.” This person then said, “But pastor, this is your church, and we can change that if you want.”
You might have noticed, that in the bulletin this morning that I have tried to add back all of your worship traditions. Why have I done this? I have done this, because our traditions matter and what we believe is timeless. As your pastor, it is not my role to come in and turn all that you know to be true on its head. Rather, I come to love you, uphold our scared traditions, and uphold your sacred individual churches’ sacred traditions, once I learn them of course.
          You see my brothers and sisters, while the world around us is changing, and changing to what we don’t know, the Kingdom of Jesus Christ remains steadfast. One day in fact, this church and all manner of things in this city will be gone, yet the Kingdom of God will remain.
          When looking at our gospel reading from the gospel according to Luke from this morning, the scribes and Pharisees are ridiculing Jesus because as they said, “This fellow welcomes sinners and eats with them.” Jesus then told the parable of the lost sheep, and that if there are 100-sheep and one is missing, you go after that sheep. Jesus than said, “Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance. Jesus then said that if a woman has ten coins, yet loses one, she will look to find it. When she does, she will call her friends and neighbors together and rejoice. Jesus concludes this gospel reading by saying, “Just so, I tell you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”
I remember when I was a first year seminary student in Rochester, a whopping 3-years ago! Yes folks they had schools way back then. Of course we had to walk 5-miles though, up-hill both ways, and in the snow, but we had a school. I remember that it was my second semester at the seminary and the good Reverend Paul Livermore was teaching our class that semester. Dr. and also Reverend Livermore has been and ordained Methodist minister for well over 40-years, and has been a seminary professor nearly as long. He always had a dry yet pleasant sense of humor, and I always seemed to give him a run for his money. In fact, in being an even younger snot nosed kid at that time than I am now, sometimes I wanted to stump the good Dr. The good reverend. Yet it would blow up in my face every time. You see while I believed in the Holy Trinity, of the Father, the Son, and Holy Spirit, I didn’t understand it that well. So I raised my hand in class one night and said Dr. Livermore, “I don’t understand the doctrine of the Holy Trinity in modern day world I am living in. Can you explain it me?” Now bear in mind, that the belief in the Trinity is many centuries old. Well about 3-minutes later I had heard enough 50-cents words that if I had sold them, I could have bought a new car. I might have also gone crossed eyed, but I can’t remember.
I then looked at the good professor and said, “Dr. Livermore, thank you for that explanation, but it still doesn’t make any sense to me” I said with a smart grin on my face. He then did as he always did, said something brilliant that stopped me dead in my tracks. He responded by rattling off a list of famous Christians. What I am about to read is but a few of names he stated, when he said, “You know Paul, if Saint Augustine believed it, if Saint Francis of Assisi believed it, If Saint Thomas Aquinas believed it, if Martin Luther believed it, if John Wesley believed it, if John Calvin believed it, if Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. believed it, if Mother Theresa believed it, if C.S. Lewis believed, and if Bill Graham and Dr. David Jeremiah believe it sill, then guess what Paul, then it’s probably true!” Wow! Well that did it for me!
          You see what Dr. Livermore was teaching me was that our sacred faith hasn’t changed, but that our society and our world have changed. It is our duty then, to preach the gospel in a new and fresh way that speaks to young people, but that at the same time honors our traditions, and upholds what we he have believed for centuries.
My brothers and sisters, as I often do, I would like close this morning with a true story. This story is called, “The Storm.” Here is how it goes,After a few of the usual Sunday evening hymns, the church's pastor slowly stood up, walked over to the pulpit and, before he gave his sermon for the evening, briefly introduced a guest minister who was in the service that evening. In the introduction, the pastor told the congregation that the guest minister was one of his dearest childhood friends and that he wanted him to have a few moments to greet the church and share whatever he felt would be appropriate for the service.
With that, an elderly man stepped up to the pulpit and began to speak. This is what he said, "A father, his son, and a friend of his son were sailing off the Pacific coast," he began, "when a fast approaching storm blocked any attempt to get back to the shore. The waves were so high, that even though the father was an experienced sailor, he could not keep the boat upright and the three were swept into the ocean as the boat capsized."
“The old man hesitated for a moment, making eye contact with the two teenagers who were, for the first time since the service began, looking somewhat interested in his story. The aged minister continued with his story, "Grabbing a rescue line, the father had to make the most excruciating decision of his life: to which boy would he throw the other end of the life line. He only had seconds to make the decision. The father knew that his son was a Christian and he also knew that his son's friend was not. The agony of his decision could not be matched by the torrent of the waves. As the father yelled out, “I love you son!,” he threw out the life line to his son's friend."
"By the time the father had pulled the friend back to the capsized boat, his son had disappeared beneath the raging swells into the black of the night. His body was never recovered."
“By this time, the two teenagers were sitting up straight in the pew, anxiously waiting for the next words to come out of the old minister's mouth.” "The father," he continued, "knew his son would step into eternity with Jesus and he could not bear the thought of his son's friend stepping into an eternity without Jesus. Therefore, he sacrificed his son to save the son's friend. How great is the love of God that he should do the same for us. Our heavenly Father sacrificed his only begotten son that we could be saved. I urge you to accept his offer to rescue you and take a hold of the life line he is throwing out to you in this service." With that, the old man turned and sat back down in his chair as silence filled the room.”
“The pastor again walked slowly to the pulpit and delivered a brief sermon with an invitation at the end. However, no one responded to the appeal. Within minutes after the service ended, the two teenagers were at the old man's side.
"That was a nice story," politely stated one of the boys, "but I don't think it was very realistic for a father to give up his only son's life in hopes that the other boy would become a Christian."
"Well, you've got a point there," the old man replied, glancing down at his worn bible. A big smile broadened his narrow face, he once again looked up at the boys and said, "It sure isn't very realistic, is it? But I'm standing here today to tell you that story gives me a glimpse of what it must have been like for God to give up his son for me. You see - I was that father and your pastor is my son's friend."
Brothers and sisters, tradition, our faith, the sacrifices born by so many matter, and they matter very much. Our faith is not dead, it is very much alive and well, and Jesus is very much still of the throne of grace. So let us this week take a moment in this church, in our homes, or in our hearts, to remember “The Democracy of the dead,” those saints who went before us. In the name of the one whom are ancestors have worshipped for centuries, Jesus the risen and the sovereign Christ. Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment