Saturday, September 7, 2013

Freeville/Homer Ave. UMC - Sunday - 09/08/13 Sermon - “Because I love you and God this much” (Reclaiming our Wesleyan Heritage Series, Part 1 of 5)

Sunday 09/08/12 FUMC/HAUMC

Sermon Title: “Because I love you and God this much”
     (Reclaiming our Wesleyan Heritage Series, Part 1 of 5)

Old Testament Scripture Lesson: Psalm 139:1-6, 13-18

New Testament Scripture Lesson: Philemon 1-21           

Gospel Lesson: Luke 14:25-33

          Good morning brothers and sisters! I greet you in the name of our risen Lord and savior Jesus Christ! Let me start by saying what an honor and a privilege it is for my beautiful wife Melissa and I to be worshipping with you here today in this house of the Lord. I want to especially take a moment to thank all of those who greeted us, and for all those who helped to prepare the parsonage for Melissa and I, and our very Pentecostal dog, Mylee. You all have been resources for me when I had questions or needed information, you have showed us continued kindness, love, and feed us more than perhaps we have ever eaten, but after all, we are Methodists right.
While we have not been in Freeville very long, we already have a piece of our heart here. While we just left two loving congregations in the Adirondack District of our United Methodist Conference, and while we have left a piece of our heart there, we now as I said, have some of our heart here. In the same way that the Apostle Paul wrote in his letters to the Romans, the Galatians, the Corinthians, and etc., he would often tell his people that he missed them. That he longed to be with them, but that God had called him elsewhere. On this morning, while Melissa and have left our version of the Galatians in Adirondacks, we now come to a new book in our journey. We come to serve the Freevillians and Homer Aveians. While the heart laments and grieves the loss of leaving, God has much to show us, and much to do in these churches. For God is not done with us, and Jesus Christ is still securely on the throne.
While Melissa and I had a thriving ministry in the two churches that I pastored in the Adirondacks, and while God blessed both of these churches with remarkable growth, with kids going to camp for the first time in a decade, baptisms, and much fuller pews, our dear Bishop Marcus Webb asked Melissa and I to come back to the Finger Lakes. While I was originally asked to begin here on July 1st, I would have had to have given the two churches that I was serving less than 2-weeks’ notice of this move. You see this would have devastated my people, so I asked to stay longer, to ensure that those two little country churches continued to grow, and continued to be loved and upheld.
Melissa and I hope to be here with you our new brothers and sisters for many years to come, and after moving from the Adirondacks and then moving from our house in Moravia, I really mean this many years to come thing! This I will tell you though, if the day ever came where I would have to be moved in less than 2-weeks’ time, I would do everything possible to stay at these churches we are serving longer to transition, because my brothers and sisters, “I love you and I love God this much.”
I am here like any pastor then, to order the life of the church, administer the sacraments, and to preach the Gospel, but in addition to all of this, I am here to love you. Brothers and sisters I have been in churches in my short life where I did not feel like that pastor loved me. What I want you to know about me here today though is that I love you, I love your children, and even after hearing that some of you are Buffalo Bills fans, I guess I still love you. As you folks really needed to be loved! What I want you to know, what I want you to believe, is that when you put your heads on your pillows at night that you know how much your pastor loves you. That he prays for you, that he had been praying for you for weeks, and that you are a precious child of Almighty God, and that God doesn’t make any junk. If nothing else in the time that my beautiful wife and I are here, I hope that you can say “that kid loved us. He might have had several corny jokes, he might have had a haircut that looked like Dennis the Menace, and he might have put his foot in his mouth so much that you would think that the pastor eats Nike’s for lunch, but oh how he loved us. Oh how he treasured us, oh how he treasured our children, and oh how he served us and the community.” Brothers and sisters, I humbly and with great love for Jesus Christ come to you, “Because I love you and God this much!”      
Since this is an introductory sermon, I will give a testimony about myself in the coming weeks, but this morning I wanted to bring you this message, and this is why. About a month before I started my first pastoral appointment back in July, 2012, I was on the phone with my dear friend and then District Superintendent Pastor Bill Mudge. As some of you maybe have already figured out, I was chatting the good Reverend’s ear off. Suddenly during my endless chatter, Pastor Bill said, “Oh and hey Paul have you thought about what your first sermon will be?” No sooner than I begin to start to tell him ideas of what I was going to preach on, I heard that chirp noise of an incoming call. I then said, “Pastor Bill, is someone trying to call you?” He then said, “Yes, the head of the trustees of one of my churches, along with some of the other members of the church, who are quite unhappy with their present pastor.” I than said, “Oh I am sorry to hear this.” Pastor Bill than said, “Yeah, you know the funny thing is, is that I pastored at that church about 30-years ago, when I was just getting started in ministry, and I know the head of the Trustees there and many others well. I then said, “well would you like me to let you go, so that you can call that head of that church Trustees back.” He then said, “No that is ok, I will call her back when were done chatting here.”
Then he said something that change my entire focus for doing ministry. He said, “You know Paul, the interesting thing is, I told the woman that was the head of the trustees, when I was young pastor there about 30-years ago, that I said and did much worse things that what you are describing from this new pastor.” Pastor Bill then said this, “The head of the Church Trustees Committee then paused for a few seconds on the other end of the phone, and then said, but you loved us, so we forgave you Bill.” Then the good Pastor Bill and I hung up. I then had the first sermon that I will preach for the rest of my life, at every pulpit, on every first Sunday. That I come here, “because I love you and I love God this much.”
Yet within all of this, we have many challenges in front of us don’t we. We have church budgets, buildings that constantly need upkeep, and some churches seem to continue to be shrinking. Yet Melissa and I just came from two amazing churches that are alive and well! A church where two years ago the people were worshipping in the basement of the church, because they couldn’t afford the heat. That the old furnace from the 1950’s, that looked and sounded like the monster under the stairs in the Adam’s Family TV show, has just a few weeks ago been replaced with an entire new furnace system. That the attic of that church now has blown in insulation, and on my last Sunday, last week, I told these churches, “I leave you with the knowledge of knowing that never again will you worship in the basement.” I then said, “and remember that this is your church, and while my wife and I have been immeasurably blessed to serve here, this is your church. This church is part of this community. Many of you were baptized and married in this church. Many of you came to know Jesus Christ in this place. Many of you raised you children in this church.” Then I said, “This house prayer, this house of Jesus Christ, and this is your church. It belongs first to God, but second to the people of this community. Let us reclaim in the Wesleyan traditions, our roots, our communities, and our churches. For our founder John Wesley loved the people so much, and his churches grew as a result of this.
While I do normally very much preach about the scriptures and the Gospel lesson that we read on Sunday morning, I have chosen to eat up a lot of this first sermon, with this message of greetings. However, the Gospel according to Saint Luke reading from 14:25-33 from this morning, concludes with Christ saying, “So therefore, none of you can become my disciple if you do not give up all your possessions.” You see in the Gospel reading from this morning Jesus is talking about the “Cost of Discipleship.” That when we chose to follow Christ, we give up much, but that we gain so much more than we will can ever imagine. So when we feed people at our food pantry, when we give clothes to people who need them at this church, we are saying to all people, “we do this, because we love you and Jesus Christ this much.”
          I want to close this message with a story. This is a story about a rich father, who lived in Pennsylvania around the time of World War II. The father had a wife, but she passed away, leaving him with just his one beloved son. The father being so wealthy did have a butler, but the father still loved his son more than anything. The father wasn’t shocked when his son announced his intention to enlist in the army and fight in World War II. Reluctantly, the father sent his son to fight. While away his son excelled in the army. He was a leader, but mostly was a servant to his fellow soldiers. He was also the first to volunteer, and loved his brothers in arms so much, that one day he dove on top of a hand grenade that suddenly flew into the vicinity that his military unit was in. Realizing that there was enough time to throw the grenade back at the enemy, he dove on the grenade and sacrificed himself so that everyone else may live. The war then ended a few months later. The father in Pennsylvania as you can imagine was in mourning, as he had heard the news shortly after his son had died. In the late fall of that same year, one day the father had a knock at his door, and it was one of the son’s best military friends. He told the father that the son was the bravest soldier that had ever seen, and that he sacrificed himself for everyone else. Fancying himself an artist, one night of low military activity this soldier drew a grease pencil picture of the son, and wanted to make sure that the father had it.
          The father once again being immensely wealthy took one of his multi-million dollar Pablo Picasso paintings off his wall above his mantle, and then framed and put the drawing of his son up. It wasn’t much to look at, but it really did look like his son, and he was pleased with it. That winter, the father completely grief stricken by the loss of his son, died. His last will and testament called that all of his possessions and belongings be auctioned off, and that the money be donated to various charitable causes. The father also requested a man in his will that he knew who was an auctioneer to oversee this auction. The auctioneer was given some special instructions that no one else had. Allowing a couple of weeks before the auction, wealthy and prominent people for all corners of the globe came to this auction to buy up the expensive art work and the riches of the father. The auction then began, and the first item to be auctioned, as per the will, was the grease pencil picture of the father’s son. Everyone in attendance seemed frustrated as no one wanted this cheap grease pencil drawing of the son. The butler, who was still working for the father’s estate through the end this auction, assured everyone that after this piece of art sold the real riches would come. So the bidding be began, $500 dollars… nothing, $300 dollars… nothing, $100 dollars nothing. The auctioneer also having had know the son seemed frustrated that no one would buy the picture of the son. The auctioneer then said will no one bid on this drawing? The bidders of the auction seemed determined to have the item tabled, skipped, and not auctioned. Just before this happened though, the father’s butler said, “excuse me auctioneer, I know I am not part of this auction, but I did really love the father and I loved his son.” If it is ok with the rest of the folks who are here to buy the father’s riches, I was wondering if I might bid on the drawing of the son? The group quickly agreed, and the butler bid $20 dollars.  The auctioneer than did his normal routine of “going once, going twice, sold!” Upon say sold and hitting his gavel, the auctioneer then suddenly and unexpectedly said, “well thank you for coming folks, this concludes our auction.” The wealthy bidders from far and wide were furious and said, “But we haven’t even gotten to the real riches yet.” The auctioneer then said the special instructions I had from the father’s will were very clear. He said it says here who ever receives my son, gets everything. You see brothers and sisters when we receive the son; we get all of the riches of the father.
          My dear brothers and sisters, I come to you, “because I love you and God this much.” I am so excited to be serving with you, and let us all dream big dreams together. For we are the Children of Resurrection and we stand to inherit the greatest Kingdom of all time. Let us see together what the Risen Christ has in store not only this town, but for this whole area. I bring this message to you in the name of Father, the Son, and Holy Spirit. Praise God and amen.
         


No comments:

Post a Comment