Saturday, July 20, 2013

RWJ/Pottersville UMC - Sunday - 07/21/13 Sermon - “Martha's Lesson"

Sunday - 07/21/13 RWJ/Pottersville UMC

Sermon: “Martha’s Lesson”

Scripture Lesson: Amos 8:1-12
                                             
Gospel Lesson: Luke 10:38-42

          Good morning brothers and sisters! Welcome in the name of the risen Christ, to worship on this ninth Sunday after Pentecost! That day so long ago that Holy Spirit filled the followers of Jesus Christ, and the Christian Church was born.
          This morning, I want to talk to you about people who feel overburdened, stressed, or worried. For those people who feel these ways, it could be because you are working to much, it could be because you have to much responsibility, it could because you have too much on your mind, it could be because you think that you have to do everything, and etc. Imagine for a moment though that if Jesus himself said to you, “hey relax,” “hey lighten up!” I can only imagine what it would feel like to have Jesus say something such as this to me.
          For me, it makes me think about all of those things that distract us, that consume our time, and that wear us down. I think about times in my own life that I have worried about things, that I have been distracted with work or tasks, and that I have otherwise not saw what was right in front of me. For when we are not focused on Jesus, then what are we focused on? If we are not seeking Christ primarily, then what are we seeking?
          In this morning’s scripture reading from Amos 8:1-12, the Lord showed the prophet Amos “a basket of summer fruit.” The Lord then goes on to say in this scripture, that the people of Israel will suffer, will not be in God’s grace, that they not receive this fruit. For they have become like decaying fruit. For God then said to Amos, “Hear this, you that trample on the needy, and bring to ruin the poor of the land, saying, “When will the new moon be over so that we may sell grain; and the Sabbath, so that we may offer wheat for sale? We will make the ephah small and the shekel great, and practice deceit with false balances, buying the poor for silver and the needy for a pair of sandals, and selling the sweepings of the wheat.” The scripture goes on according to the prophet Amos saying that the people of Israel will be punished for their ways. That their songs of joy will turn into “lamentation,” that there will be “sackcloth on all loins, and baldness on every head,” as is the stereotypical look for a Christian monk of the Middle Ages. Surely the prophet Amos is telling the people of Israel that if you want to live, if you want forgiveness, then you must repent, then you must focus on the Lord.
          For when turn away from the Lord, we are like the people in the Book of Judges in Old Testament. In the Book of Judges, it says in 21:25 “In those days there was no king in Israel. Everyone did what was right in his own eyes.” Brothers and sisters, when we turn from God, don’t we begin to do what is right in our own eyes? Perhaps we start small, but then finally we have gotten to a place of such sin, such depravity, and such falseness, that sometimes we don’t even know how we got there to begin with.
          With that said, like any good young Methodist Pastor, I want to talk about the head of the Roman Catholic Church, Pope Francis. Pope Francis in a recent address to some Roman Catholic Seminarians and soon to be Roman Catholic Nuns said this, “It hurts me when I see a priest or a nun with the latest model car, you can’t do this, a car is necessary to do a lot of work, but please, choose a more humble one. If you like the fancy one, just think about how many children are dying of hunger in the world.” Wow! By the way, in case anyone was wondering what the head of the Roman Catholic Church drives around Vatican City, it is a used 2005 Ford Focus. He is no longer transported in the usual Mercedes Benz. In fact, he no longer wears the ornate vestments of his office, and doesn’t even live in the large Papal apartments. Rather he lives in a small modest apartment, as he is only the head of a church 1.1 billion people.
          For many of us, we have seen this leader of one our sister church denominations, and have been humbled and impressed by him. I know that I have been humbled by this person, and I have been further compelled to give freely, and serve others even more. Imagine a world where we all gave a little more, and took a little less. Imagine a world, where the hungry are feed, where the naked are clothed, and were children live in peace.
          Brothers and sisters, I think that the Christian Church is on the verge of a great awakening, a great revival. I went over to the Lake Luzerne area for part of the day yesterday, to the town of Hadley. I did this to meet with my ministry mentor for ordination, the Rev. John Chesney. Within a few minutes of our chatter, came the usual Saturday question from one pastor to another, “So what are you preaching on tomorrow?” I told Rev. Chesney that I was preaching a sermon called “Martha’s lesson,” and he said that he was preaching a sermon called “Martha, Martha, Martha,” a play on words of the Brady Bunch television show phrase, “Marsha, Marsha, Marsha.”
          In the midst of our conversation Rev. Chesney was encouraging, and he then asked me what sort of vision I have for the future our collective church. I told him that if we love people so radically, so boldly, and with such extravagant generosity, than they are much more likely to know the Lord. I mean if someone is loving, if they care for you, if they make you feel valued, if they love the Lord with everything they have, and if they love their neighbor as themselves, then others will come follow. You see when we truly live the gospel, people see it, and that love absorbs into them, and they believe. For when we give it all to the Lord to serve his people, when we truly love with all that we have, we seek God, we serve his people, and we see Christ in every face that we encounter.
          So then, as Rev. Chesney would put it, on to the “Martha, Martha, Martha” reading from this morning, from the Gospel of Luke. This gospel reading says, “Now as they went on their way, he entered a certain village, where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. She had a sister named Mary, who sat the Lord’s feet and listened to what he was saying.” Brother and sisters, if the Lord entered our house this afternoon, would we immediately sit at his feet, or would we busy ourselves with other things? The gospel goes on to say, “But Martha was distracted by her many tasks; so she came to him and asked, “Lord, do you not care that my sister had left me to do all the work by myself? Tell her to help me.” Anyone her every feel like growing up that you always did all the work, and that one of your siblings slacked off? Her is what Jesus says to Martha, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; there is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part, which will not be taken away from her.”
          When I hear these words, I think to myself, “when have I been too busy for the Lord?” How many times have I found excuse after excuse to be about the business of church, but struggled to take time to be like Mary, and sit at the feet of the Lord. Growing up, I always remember that my mother would go to great efforts to put on a large and multiple course meals for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. She was always insistent that she didn’t need any help in the kitchen. She was also insistent that I lick the beater blades off from the mixer, a task that she didn’t have to twist my arm to get me to do! I would remember so often at these family gatherings say, “Mom when will you sit with us to eat? When will you join us?”
          Well we got host my parents and Melissa’s parents at the parsonage for this past Thanksgiving dinner, and yes my mom still did a lot of cooking, but not all of it. What a joy it was to have my mom take it a little easier, and not be so busy with so many things.
          Yet we are all a little like Martha some days aren’t we? There are days where we are busy, where we are worried, where perhaps we are angry, or that we are distracted. Yet what I have learned in my young life my brothers and sisters, of all of the things that we can recover from the mistakes we make in this life, and while Jesus will always forgive us, there is one thing that we can never get back. That thing is time. Time my brothers and sister is precious.
I would like to close this morning with a story, from an unknown author. He is how the story goes: Ruth looked at the envelope again. There was no stamp, no postmark, only her name and address. She read the letter one more time... Dear Ruth, I'm going to be in your neighborhood Saturday afternoon and I'd like to stop by for a visit. Love Always, Jesus
Her hands were shaking as she placed the letter on the table. "Why would the Lord want to visit me? I'm nobody special. I don't have anything to offer." With that thought, Ruth remembered her empty kitchen cabinets. "Oh my goodness, I really don't have anything to offer. I'll have to run down to the store and buy something for dinner."
She reached for her purse and counted out its contents. Seven dollars and forty cents. "Well, I can get some bread and cold cuts, at least." She threw on her coat and hurried out the door. A loaf of French bread, a half-pound of sliced turkey, and a carton of milk... leaving Ruth with a grand total of twelve cents to last her until Monday. Nonetheless, she felt satisfied as she headed home, her meager offerings tucked under her arm.
"Hey lady, can you help us, lady?" Ruth had been so absorbed in her dinner plans, she hadn't even noticed two figures huddled in the alleyway. A man and a woman, both of them dressed in little more than rags. "Look lady, I ain't got a job, ya know, and my wife and I have been living out here on the street, and, well, now it's getting cold and we're getting kinda hungry and, well, if you could help us, lady, we'd really appreciate it."
Ruth looked at them both. They were dirty, they smelled bad and, frankly, she was certain that they could get some kind of work if they really wanted to. "Sir, I'd like to help you, but I'm a poor woman myself. All I have is a few cold cuts and some bread, and I'm having an important guest for dinner tonight and I was planning on serving that to Him."
"Yeah, well, OK lady, I understand. Thanks anyway." The man put his arm around the woman's shoulders, turned and headed back into the alley. As she watched them leave, Ruth felt a familiar twinge in her heart. "Sir, wait!" The couple stopped and turned as she ran down the alley after them. "Look, why don't you take this food. I'll figure out something else to serve my guest." She handed the man her grocery bag. "Thank you lady. Thank you very much!" "Yes, thank you!" It was the man's wife, and Ruth could see now that she was shivering. "You know, I've got another coat at home. Here, why don't you take this one." Ruth unbuttoned her jacket and slipped it over the woman's shoulders. Then smiling, she turned and walked back to the street . . . without her coat and with nothing to serve her guest. "Thank you lady! Thank you very much!"
Ruth was chilled by the time she reached her front door, and worried too. The Lord was coming to visit and she didn't have anything to offer Him. She fumbled through her purse for the door key. But as she did, she noticed another envelope in her mailbox. "That's odd. The mailman doesn't usually come twice in one day." She took the envelope out of the box and opened it.
Dear Ruth, It was so good to see you again. Thank you for the lovely meal. And thank you too, for the beautiful coat. Love Always, Jesus
The air was still cold, but even without her coat, Ruth no longer noticed. Then the righteous will answer him, "Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?" The King will reply, "I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me." Matthew 25:37-40.

          My brothers and sisters, how many times have been like Martha, fretting, worried, and forgetting that all that the Lord wants of us, is us. He desires only our hearts, and perhaps “Martha’s lesson” was that she didn’t have to get everything perfect for the Lord, but rather that she just had to come to the Lord. My brothers and sisters, time is precious, and we can never get it back. Let us use our time well, let us use our time loving at the feet of Jesus. I bring this message to you, in the same of the one who has saved us all, so that we never taste death, but instead that we shall live. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment