Saturday, July 6, 2013

RWJ/Pottersville UMC - Sunday - 07/07/13 Sermon - “Lambs in the midst of wolves"

Sunday - 07/07/13 RWJ/Pottersville UMC

Sermon: “Lambs in the midst of wolves”

Scripture Lesson: Psalm 30
                                             
Gospel Lesson: Luke 10:1-11, 16-20

          Well greetings and good morning again my brothers and sisters! I humbly and lovingly greet you in the name of the risen Christ! I must say that while my wife and I very much enjoyed our trip to Northern Illinois to perform my older brother’s wedding, we missed all of you very much this past Sunday. In fact, it felt a little odd last Sunday to not be here in church with you all. I assure you however, that I was put to work doing prayers, blessings, a wedding, a sermon, and etc.
          When Melissa and I returned home this past Monday night though, I began to think about the message I would give to you all this morning. As the week progressed, I began thinking of the many ways that people use to harm others. That these forms of harm happen not only within our own country, but that they happen all around the world. When thinking of the various places around the world, I thought of the ways in which dictators in some countries suppress other people’s freedoms. How that there are some people present in many of the places that we go, that do not have our best interests in mind. I thought about how there are people in this world that have no care for anybody or anything other than themselves. That some of these people seek to harm us not because we are bad people, but simply because they do not believe in the purity, the love, and values of being a follower of Jesus Christ. It is then through our faith, our deeds, and our actions, that we may be known to a world that knows Him not. Sometimes my brothers and sisters, pastors get moved, sometimes our children move away, but we will be known by our faith, our deeds, and our actions. We sometimes have to deal with cutting and hard situations, but we realize that our hearts and how we treat people matter. That you all matter to me, and that you all matter to God.
          In contemplating all of this, I particularly reflected upon these things on this past 4th of July. I reflected upon the contributions of the Christian Church to the welfare and betterment of this country and this world. The reality that brave men and women, both now and throughout our history have laid down their lives down for the cause of freedom, for the cause of liberty. I reflected upon the reality that there are places in this world where it is not okay to worship Jesus. That there are still many places in the world today where you are not only told what to believe, but how to believe it. In such places, I find that these believers are “Lambs in the midst of wolves.” That in such places people are persecuted, oppressed, and even killed, simply for loving others and promoting peace and freedom through Jesus Christ. For me though, I think that the Christian Church is one of the only bastions of purity, of love, or truth, and of goodness, in a world that knows Him not. This means sometimes though that the leaders of our churches are expected to go forth on new missions, to tackle new challenges, and to serve in new ways. While I knew this reality would come some day for me, the stinging reality of this is very hard for me, and I am grieved.
          To attempt to commemorate this past 4th of July and better explain this though, I came across a quote from Abraham Lincoln. Here is his quote, as Abraham Lincoln presented this in a message to the then Methodist-Episcopal Church on May 18, 1864, one year before our Civil War ended. Here is what President Lincoln said, “It is no fault in others that the Methodist Church sends more soldiers to the field, more nurses to the hospital, and more prayers to Heaven than any. God bless the Methodist Church - bless all the churches - and blessed be to God, who, in this our great trial, giveth us the churches.”
          Given all of this, I think that the reality for all of us is that we have days or even times in our lives that we all feel like that we “Lambs in the midst of wolves.” There are days where we all feel like the world is going to you know where “in a hand basket.” Within this though, it is our faith that defines us, that sustains us, and that guides us. That in the greatest depths of our experiences of despair, and in our worst trials and tribulations, that this is often where we find God in all of His fullness and faithfulness. In fact, one of my favorite military quotes is, “There is no such thing as an Atheist in a fox hole.”
With this said, when looking at the Psalm 30 reading from this morning, it said, “I will extol you, O Lord, for you have drawn me up, and did not let my foes rejoice over me.” It continues to say, “O Lord my God, I cried to you for help, and you have healed me.” It then says, “O Lord, you brought up my soul from Sheol, restored me to life from among those gone down to the Pit.” The scripture than says, “Sing praises to the Lord, O you his faithful one, and give thanks to his holy name.” What the scripture then says, is particularly striking, it says, “For his anger is but a moment; his favor is for a life-time. Weeping may linger for the night, but joy comes with the morning.”
You see I think that there are days where we all feel beaten down by this world. I remember the movie “Field of Dreams” starring Kevin Costner. In this movie Kevin Costner is a farmer in Iowa. The family is not rich, and much like many farm families, they are dependent upon the harvest of their crops for their very livelihood. Yet one day as Kevin Costner walks through his corn field, he hears a voice, perhaps a still small voice. The voice than says, “If you build it, he will come,” and then sees a vision of a baseball field. After some internal wrestling, Kevin Costner who plays the character “Ray Kinsella” cuts down a good portion of his crops and builds the baseball field. His wife as you can imagine was not happy with her husband ray. At first nothing happens to the baseball field, as it just sits empty. Suddenly a man walks from the cornfield, dressed in old 1919 Chicago Black Sox uniform. Ray quickly realizes that is the now deceased famous “Shoeless Joe Jackson.” Soon after this, many other players begin arriving. At first many cannot see the players because they don’t believe in something greater than just the baseball field itself. By the end though, all people believe, and many cars stream down the highway to see this “Field of Dreams.” Towards the end of the movie, the catcher behind home plate gets up on the baseball field and takes his mask off. Ray quickly realizes that this person is his father, as a young man. He introduces his father to his family, and then asks his dad if he can have one more catch with him, before disappears in the corn field. When Ray saw his father and realized who he was, he told those around him, that that was his father as a young and vibrant man. In fact, he said, “That was what my father looked like, before the world beat him down.”
Now I’m saying go home and build a baseball field if God has not called you to do so, but I am saying that God is sovereign and reigns over all people. If we are not God’s faithful people, if we are not God’s sheep, are we not wolves? If we do not seek to follow God, do we oppose God and his people? Do we desire a better future for our children? Do we desire to believe in the freedom that Christ offers us, or do we desire to destroy God’s sheep as vicious wolves? Sometimes brothers and sisters God calls us from serving him in one place, and then we must leave and go serve in another place. It is vital though that people know that they are loved. That the function of the Christian Church is to raise people up and send them out, but oh how it stings sometimes when we are the ones being called or sent out.
When looking at the gospel reading from this morning from the Gospel according to Luke, Jesus had just “appointed seventy others and sent them on ahead of him in pairs to every town and place where he himself intended.” The lord then said to these 70 people, “The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few; therefore ask the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest.” You know brothers and sisters, I think that sometimes in our churches today we feel like the work of God is plentiful, and yet that the workers are few. In fact, the Lord in this morning’s gospel reading then tells these 70 people, “See, I am sending you out like lambs into the midst of wolves.” Jesus then told the seventy to “Carry no purse, no bag, no sandals; and greet no one on the road. Whatever house you enter, first say, ‘Peace to this house!’ Jesus went on to say, that the 70 should “remain in the same house, eating and drinking whatever they provide, for the laborer deserves to be paid.” Jesus continues to talk about the 70 loving and being with the hospitable and the loving, but that if they are not greeted and loves, that they will depart and not be oppressed.

So the mission of the Christian Church is train leaders up and send them out as “Sheep amidst the wolves.” You have indeed greeted me, and I have eaten and drank what you provided like the scripture says, but in being called to somewhere new I have admit I like this house. I like what you have fed me and what you have given me to drink, and I like being here. Our bishop however, who is a great Holy Spirit filled man, has asked me and I have agreed to embark on a new mission beginning on September 8th. Perhaps as any place we encounter there will be wolves, but this is the reality of our calling to serve God. That so often we are “Lambs in the midst of wolves.” I bring this message to you this morning my brothers and sisters will a full, heavy, and a humble heart. Most of all however, I bring this message to you so that you will all know just how much your pastor loves you, values you, and how much you matter to me and the kingdom of God. Amen brothers and sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment