Saturday, June 8, 2013

RWJ/Pottersville UMC - Sunday - 06/09/13 Sermon - “He tells the dead to breathe"

Sunday - 06/09/13 RWJ/Pottersville UMC

Sermon: “He tells the dead to breathe”

Scripture Lesson: Galatians 1:11-24
                                             
Gospel Lesson: Luke 7:11-17

          Good morning brothers and sisters! What a joy and a pleasure it is to be here with you all on this our “Third Sunday after Pentecost.” This third Sunday after the Holy Spirit showed up on that day of Pentecost almost 2,000 years ago. The day that the spirit of God arrived, and that day the Christian Church was born. The day that the Apostles and all of the other followers of Christ, both men and women had the courage, the conviction, and the faith to go and preach the Good News of Jesus Christ, regardless of the consequences.
          If the Apostles and the early Christians were this committed to spreading the faith, and if they were even willing to die to have people know Jesus, then logic would argue that they believed it! If our faith has become the largest faith in the whole world, which it has, then it must be true. How could a faith with one Messiah, and a rag tag group of followers grow to such epic proportions? It is true! Jesus Christ is the savior of all!
Throughout history, so many have claimed to be prophets, so many have claimed to be God, and so many have claimed to have some form of truth. Yet, we have yet to encounter anyone in all of human history who was like Jesus of Nazareth. No one in fact, did all that Jesus did and still does even today.
          When we are talking with non-believers then, or people of other faiths, those people might not fully understand all that is Jesus Christ. I think that as Christians though, we must love all of God’s people, and that we must love all people of other religions. Yet in doing so, we should at the same time stand on Christ and Christ alone, because we believe him to be the one and the only way to glory. While I personally have friends that are Jewish, Buddhist, Atheist, and etc., if you talk to any of them about me, this is what they would probably say about me. “Paul respects me and my beliefs, but yet he persists that only true way to almighty God is through Jesus Christ. He believes that I might have some sort of connection to God with what I believe, but he persists that the purest and truest revelation of God is found only in Jesus Christ. Yet I feel loved and respected by Paul though, and while he values me, at the end of the day he is a full-fledged and devout Christian.”
          I have even heard some of my students and some of friends say things like this: “Paul is a devout Christian, but he is not mean to me. He does not judge me.” So when a child of God of another faith, or a non-believer asks you, “Why do you believe in Jesus Christ?” When they then ask you “What makes him so unique and so powerful, what do we then say in response to those people?”
          Well my brothers and sisters, among the many things that I could say to these people, one is, is that “He tells the dead to breathe.” That Jesus Christ can bring back the dead to life. That we serve a Messiah that can raise the dead, heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, and can do anything. So while I think that the love of God is everywhere, and while I think that all people can have at least some connection with God, I challenge you to find me another Messiah that can “Tell the dead to breathe.” You find me another prophet who meets the qualifications to be the savior of all of humankind. You find me another savior who was sinless, who changed the world with his words, and who created an entire new way living, being, and existing. A Messiah that has given us morals and ethics to live by, and a Messiah who’s teachings are at the very core of who we are and what we represent, when we proudly say, “In God we trust.”
          Yet I worry my brothers and sisters, that so many of our young people today have not only abandoned the free salvation that Christ offers us, but in addition to this they have further turned away from our Judeo-Christian teachings altogether. For if we are not made to learn Judeo-Christians ethics or morality then as one of my student’s told me we can then believe that, “the only crime is getting caught.” I however, don’t follow the laws, just because they are laws, but also because almighty God and the Bible forbid me to break many of them. I will not steal something from someone just because I am worried that “I will get caught,” but because it is immoral to do so. Without the teachings of Christ then, where do we draw our ethics and our morality from? After all, he was the one “who tells the dead to breathe.”
          Let us look at our scripture reading for this morning from the Apostle Paul’s letter to the churches in Galatia. This is what the Apostle Paul said, “For I want you to know, brothers and sisters that the gospel that was proclaimed by me is not of human origin; for I did not receive it from a human source, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation in Jesus Christ.” The Apostle Paul was a devout follower of Christ, and his ethics, his morals, were governed not by what the world said, but by what almighty God said. The Apostle Paul went on to say in this scripture that at one time he was a Pharisee and a great persecutor of the Christian Church. Yet he said, “But when God, who has set me apart before I was born and called me through his grace, was pleased to reveal his Son to me, so that I might proclaim him among the Gentiles.” You see Paul had encountered God, had encountered the Spirit, and believed. Despite what the world told him, his faith in Christ, his belief in a better world, and his moral and ethical compass led him to free people all over from the bondage of disbelieve and emptiness. That robbing and stealing are not ok, because Jesus Christ says, “we shouldn’t do that.” That we should feed the poor and care for the sick, because Jesus said to “do that.” That when we view dictators like the North Korean dictator Kin Jong-Un, we should long to liberate those people who are in bondage, who long to be free, and who desperately need to be healed by the gospel of Jesus Christ. That we should long to have all people be free and live in the light of the grace of Jesus Christ.
          In this morning’s gospel reading from the gospel according to Luke, it says speaking of Jesus, “Soon afterwards he went to a town called Nain, and his disciples and large crowd went with him. As he approached the gate of the town, a man who had died was carried out. He was his mother’s only son, and she was a widow; and with her was a large crowd from the town.”
          Now listen carefully to what the gospel says next, “When the Lord saw her, he had compassion for her and said to her, “Do not weep.” Then he came forward and touched the bier, and the bearers stood still.” Just for clarification, a “bier” is A stand on which a corpse or a coffin containing a corpse is placed before burial, and this is what Jesus had touched. Jesus than said, “Young man, I say to you, rise!” The dead man sat up and began to speak, and Jesus gave him to his mother. Fear seized all of them; and they glorified God, saying, “A great prophet has risen among us!”
          Brothers and sisters, a man was dead, and Jesus said, “breathe.” Jesus said “rise.” Jesus said, “live.” Only the Son of God could do such things, only the savior of all humankind could do things such as this. When we chose to believe we are not being ignorant, we are not being irrational; instead we are surrendering our lives to King of Kings and the Lord of Lords. In a world draped in darkness and so much immorality, Jesus has come to deliver the captives, restore sight to the blind, and yes even “tell the dead to breathe.”
What this world needs today then is people who are willing to be in the trenches showing people who Jesus Christ is. Who are willing to lead and love a person who is staving and thirsty, to the fountain of life, to feast at the banquet table of the Lord.
          In my workings, so many non-believers have said to me, “Well Paul if God really exists, then why do such bad things happen.” I often reply with a quote from Sir Edmund Burke, that “All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.” The people of God are on the front lines brothers and sisters, even now as I speak. Our brothers and sisters are in Oklahoma, feeding and caring for the Tornado victims, the United Methodist Church is partnering with other organizations to cure Malaria in Africa, and so many of us feed the sick and clothe the naked. We brothers and sisters are a people of the resurrection, we serve the risen King, and he is King “who tells the dead to the breath.”
          Yet I think that some of the people in the world today, who are alive, are actually dead. Sure they get up in the morning and go to work, sure they pay their bills, but they are dead. Their soul is stifled, their hearts our bitter, and they long to know truth and to know the meaning of it all. They are hungry, thirsty, beaten down, and are heavy laden. Yet Jesus said in Mathew 11:28, “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.” Jesus said in John 6:35-37, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty. But as I told you, you have seen me and still you do not believe. All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away. 
          Jesus teaches that we should all come unto him, and that if we follow him, we will grow in righteousness, we will become more pure, we will become more whole as people, and as the founder of Methodism John Wesley said, “We will go on to perfection.” Mother Theresa said, “At the end of life we will not be judged by how many diplomas we have received, how much money we have made, how many great things we have done. We will be judged by "I was hungry, and you gave me something to eat, I was naked and you clothed me. I was homeless, and you took me in.” 
          I would like to close this sermon this morning with my own story. Here is the story. A student of mine asked me other day, “How do you know there really is a God?” She asked this because she does not believe. I told her, that “I don’t just believe, I have experienced God.” I have felt the presence of the Holy Spirit, I have seen healings, I have witnessed miracles, and I have seen great things.” I then said, “in fairness though there are days that believers feel like God is very distant, and there are days that they feel that he is heavily present.” I then also said, “And we believers aren’t perfect, we are just as human as anyone else.” She then said, “So to be a believer, you need to have a “spiritual experience?” I then said, “Well it doesn’t hurt, and it usually really convinces people of Gods existence.”
          Well brothers and sisters, this student called me yesterday and said that she had a “spiritual experience.” She then explained that something inside of her caused her to start telling people the phrase “One love,” as in the one love of God for all people. She then went to store shortly after this feeling compelled to begin to say this phrase to many people. She said that when she got to the store, the first thing that she saw in that store was a key chain. The key chain she said, said “One love” on it. She told me this story with such excitement, and I could hear God working in her. I could tell that she had never had an experience like this before, and I can’t wait until I see this student next week.
          You see so often, I wonder if I am being effective with my students, yet one of my students a couple of weeks ago told me that he is thinking about becoming a minister, but “a cool minister like you, he said.” Then I had the student I just talked about call me yesterday with this story of having a “spiritual experience.” Two or three of my students that I have worked with in the last year have switched from becoming Atheists to Agnostics, or people who believe in God. You see they all believe in various things, and therefore, have become convinced that there is something more than just us. That God is real and is on the throne. For if you go to the movie to watch haunted movies, movies about demon possessions, and etc., and if you believe in any of it, than guess what, “you’re not an atheist!” I have a feeling that there are many more believers in the world than we think there are.

          As children of God, as a people of the resurrection, we must continue to see a world that is hurting, that is fallen, and that desperately needs to be saved, and we must tell these people that, “He tells the dead to breathe.” We must tell them, “You're the one who conquers giants. You're the one who calls out kings. You shut the mouths of lions. You tell the dead to breathe. You're the one who walks through fire. You take the orphan's hand. You are the one Messiah. You are I am. You are I am,” when speaking of Jesus. So go forth this week brothers and sisters and proclaim that we serve a risen Lord who “tells the dead to breath.” Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment