Saturday, June 1, 2013

RWJ/Pottersville UMC - Sunday - 06/02/13 Sermon - “I am unworthy"

Sunday - 06/02/13 RWJ/Pottersville UMC

Sermon: “I am unworthy”

Scripture Lesson: Galatians 1:1-12
                                             
Gospel Lesson: Luke 7:1-10

          Good morning brothers and sisters! What a joy and a pleasure it is to be here with you all on this our “Second Sunday after Pentecost.” This is the time of the year in the Methodist Church that we call “Kingdomtide,” or as our Roman Catholic brothers and sisters call it “Ordinary Time.” This essentially means the time after Easter, Pentecost, and last Sunday’s Trinity Sunday. This time of our yearly liturgical calendar is usually designated by the color green. Some churches use the white on communion Sundays however, or if other sacramental services are occurring.
          So the good news for those folks who are always rushing about to try to change and figure out, “what color will it be next week?” Your answer for next week, and several weeks is, it will be green. This will largely be the case in fact, until we enter into our advent season for the Christmas season. Many folks always see this time of the year that we are entering into as a “slow time” in the life of the church, or a “down time,” but I don’t see it that way. I see our Kingdomtide or Common Time as the time we replenish, we grow in scripture, we grow in faith, and we grow in the gospel.
          I remember I was in my first seminary that I attended for the first two years of my seminary journey, and I raised my hand and asked the pastor/professor one day about this whole liturgical calendar things. I guess everyone “should just know these things as Christians,” but I didn’t. So I asked the pastor/professor, “Did Jesus take the summer and early fall off?” The pastor/professor promptly said, “Paul, what do you mean by that question?” I said, “Was Jesus only a late Fall, Winter, and Spring-time teacher and miracle worker.” Well at this point the pastor/professor burst out laughing, and said, “No Paul! We just don’t have any holidays during the summer months.”
          So given all of this, in the summer months and the early fall, during Jesus’ ministry, he was very much teaching, healing, proclaiming, and performing miracles during these months we now refer to as “Kingdomtide,” or “Ordinary time.” Additionally, this time of the year is also called by many church trustee members, “the time the pastor thinks they can take several weeks of vacation time.”
          So with all of this said, the title of my sermon today, is “I am unworthy.” To better explain this sermon title, let me jump right into today’s scripture readings. In the reading from this morning from the Apostle Paul’s letter to the church in Galatia, or the Galatians, as they were known, he said, “Paul an apostle-sent neither by human commission not from human authorities, but though Jesus Christ and God the Father, who raised him from the dead.” As the Apostle Paul moves further down in this scripture, he says to the church in Galatia, “I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel-not that there is another gospel, but there are some who are confusing you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ.” The Apostle Paul tells the congregation in Galatia, “Am I now seeking human approval, or God’s Approval? Or am I trying to please people? If I we still pleasing people, I would not be a servant of Christ.”
          The Apostle Paul goes on to finish today’s scripture from Galatians, encouraging the congregation in Galatia to cling to Christ, his message, and his gospel. Yet I have to admit, sometimes one of my struggles as a pastor and as a person is that I often want to please everyone. In fact, I can very much be a “people pleaser.” Yet you can never make everyone happy, can you? Someone is always bound to be disappointed or unfulfilled by our failed attempts to make them happy. I have found for me, in my own life, that when I look at human standards, I can very quickly say and think, “I am unworthy.” I might say, “If I am called by almighty God to preach his word and serve his people, then why can I make them all happy?”
          Jesus I think would say to me, “Paul love them all, and do you best by me, and I will bless you. I will tell you, “Well done good and faithful servant.” I think Jesus would also say to me, “In me you are never unworthy, but to world, you will always feel unworthy.” You see when I try to be all things to all people; I quickly become discouraged, and quickly feel like, “I am unworthy.”
          In the gospel of Luke reading from this morning, Jesus was just entering the town of Capernaum. The gospel reading from this morning said, “A centurion there had a slave whom he valued highly, and who was ill and close to death. When he heard about Jesus, he sent some Jewish elders to him, asking him to come and heal this slave. When they came to Jesus, they appealed to him earnestly, saying, “He is worthy of having you do this for him, for he loves our people, and it is he who built our synagogue for us.” So listen what happens next in this gospel reading. It says, “And Jesus went with them, but when he was not far from the house, the centurion sent friends to say to him, “Lord do not trouble yourself, for I am not worthy to have you come under my roof; therefore I did not presume to come to you. But only speak the word, and let my servant be healed.”
          One of the friends than said, “For I also am a man set under authority, with soldiers under me; and I say to one, “Go,” and he goes, and to another, “Come,” and he comes, and to my slave, “Do this,” and the salve does it. At this, the gospel reading said, “When Jesus heard this he was amazed at him, and turning to the crown that followed him, he said, “I tell you, not even in Israel have I found such faith. When those who had been sent returned to the house, they found the slave in good health.”
          You see, Jesus I think, wants our devotion, not our denial of him. When we judge ourselves by earthly standards, we will often say as the centurion in this gospel story said, “I am unworthy.” Yet when Christ sees our devotion to him, he is so touched that he heals and blesses us. We will not find worthiness in this world, but will always be worthy in the Kingdom of God. For in the Kingdom of God we are all, without any exceptions, God’s created, chosen, and preciously made children. Children that are all royalty, for all you women are princesses, and all you men are princes, as your Father, as your savior, is the King of Kings, and the Lord of Lords. You are part of the royal family, the royal priesthood, and you stand to inherit the greatest inheritance of all time. God took on flesh as a man named Jesus and died for us, so that we may life. Christ was broken, so that we didn’t have to be. Christ was broken for everyone alive, and all those to come. In his crucifixion, he said, clearly and boldly, “you are worthy.” “In you my child, “I am well pleased.”
          So brothers and sisters don’t ever think or let anyone ever tell you, that you are not worthy of God’s love. We serve a master that is so loving, so powerful and so mind blowing, that his forgiveness is not only guaranteed, it is eternal, and it was formed with three nails, a cross, and a lot of love. For he did this “for the least of these.”
          Yet I seemed to have forgotten all of this yesterday brothers and sisters. For on Friday night of our Upper New York Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church, all the pastors were recognized. The newest local licensed pastors like me we processed up front, where we shook the hand of our beloved Bishop Mark Webb, and she shook all our hands, as well. There was discomfort in this for me, as I had little fragments of feelings that “I am unworthy.” Yesterday our Annual Conference ended, as they all do, with a service of commissioning, recognizing, and ordaining new clergy. It is the tradition of not only the United Methodist Church, but many churches to start theses services with a procession of the clergy into the sanctuary or worship area. At the front of the pack of course, was Bishop Webb, with his episcopal insignia and his shepherd’s staff. Next to him was a person carrying a cross on a stick, which where both then placed in holders on the stage. I for the first time ever, was part of that clergy processional.
          Generally in these processionals, all clergy get “robed up” as well call it. Yet I hadn’t brought the robe I am wearing right now. For I am only a new pastor, and while I have been a pastor for almost a year, surely I thought, “I am not worthy to process into the floor our Annual Conference with our ordained and seasoned clergy.” So the procession line had formed, and I was sitting in the laity section, not even in the clergy section. My friend Scott who is about to get licensed as a local licensed pastor, and is in his 50’s, said, “Paul why are you sitting in the laity section?” “Why aren’t you in the processional line that is about to come into this floor of this Annual Conference?” I said, “You know what Scott, I am a new pastor to the conference, and I didn’t even bring my robe, because I didn’t think that such a new pastor would be allowed to process into the ordination service.” I then said, “Here I am in my plaid button down shirt with no robe.” He then said as he pointed to the hallway where all the pastors were lined up, and said, “You see her? You see him? You see her?” I said, “Yes, I see them.” He then said, “But Paul, they don’t have on robes either, and they are processing.” Then I said, “I see that Scott, but I feel unworthy to process into the floor of our Annual Conference in being such a new pastor.”
          Then Scott said, “Paul you almost done with seminary, you have inspired countless people, you have been board approved, favored, loved, and licensed to preach the gospel and serve in God’s church. Don’t ever tell me that you are “unworthy.” Then he said, “Now go get in line with your brothers and sister, because I will be in line with you next year.” Then he said, “After all next year you are probably going to be getting commissioned as a provisional elder next year, and soon ordained into our church.” “Take you place,” he said, “Take your place Paul.”
          How humbled I was brothers and sisters, to process into the Annual Conference with my plaid shirt. Proudly standing the on the promises of Jesus Christ, and finally feeling worthy to be a pastor in his church.
          You see brothers and sisters, if the devil cannot destroy our faith, he will try to whisper mistruths in our ears. He will say, “you can’t,” “you won’t,” and he will say, “your unworthy.” Jesus says though, “I did this for the least of these.” Jesus says, “the least will be the greatest.” The reality is then there is nothing you can do to make Jesus love you more than he already loves you right now.
          So I pray in this time and in this place that our church may stand on the promises of almighty God, and reinvigorate our faith, our church, and our hearts in Jesus Christ. For as our founder John Wesley said about faith and the Holy Spirit, “Catch on fire with enthusiasm and people will come for miles to watch you burn.” When we feel unworthy though, our fire is vanquished and our passion is gone. Trust is Jesus, and put your faith in him.
I would like to close this morning with a funny story. I have to admit I stole this story from our bishop’s ordination sermon from yesterday. This is a story about “Chippie” the bird. Here is how it goes: “There’s the story of a woman who had a parakeet named Chippie. She loved Chippie because he was such a happy little song bird. Chippie’s constant chirping just seemed to brighten her day. One day though, the woman was cleaning the bottom of Chippie’s cage with a vacuum cleaner when the telephone rang. She reached for the telephone without removing the nozzle of the vacuum cleaner from the cage, which was a mistake. The vacuum cleaner nozzle got pointed in the direction of poor little Chippie, and he was suddenly sucked up into the machine.
When the woman looked back at the cage and realized what had happened, she was horrified. She dropped the telephone, turned off the vacuum cleaner and ripped open the dust bag to get to her little bird. Chippie was a real mess, but he was still alive. She raced to the kitchen sink and turned the water on full force on Chippie. The more she tried to wash him, the worse he looked, so she took him to the bathroom and started trying to dry Chippie with her hair dryer–full force and high heat. Finally she got the bird dry and put him back in his cage.
Several days later, a friend called and asked how Chippie was doing. “He’s alive,” he said, “but he just sits in his cage and stares into space. And,” she added thoughtfully, “Chippie doesn’t sing much anymore.”
We all know people who are a lot like Chippie. We know young people who once had a song in their hearts. But due to circumstances out of their control, they discovered that the life had been “sucked” out of them. As a result, they aren’t singing much anymore.

Brother and sisters let us this week, and forever more not be like “Chippie.” If the world tries to “suck” the life out of us, and tell us that were unworthy, let us remember, that Jesus says otherwise. Let us remember that were people of the resurrection. That we are children of the risen King, and that we stand to inherit the kingdom of God. So don’t ever think that you are “unworthy.” Praise God and Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment