Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Sidney UMC - Christmas Eve - 12/24/22 - Sermon - “What Will We Do With This Child?” (“The Reclaiming Hope” Series: Part 5 of 5)

                           Christmas Eve 12/24/22 - Sidney UMC

Sermon Title:       “What Will We Do With This Child?”                                       (“The Reclaiming Hope” Series: Part 5 of 5)                        

Old Testament Scripture: Isaiah 9:2-7                                      

New Testament Scripture: Titus 2:11-14

Gospel Lesson: Luke 2:1-20 

          Through the season of Advent and through tonight, Christmas Eve, I have been preaching a sermon series called “The Reclaiming Hope” series. Why have I been preaching this sermon series? I have been preaching this sermon series because this is the first Christmas in three-years that we can gather without all of the COVID-19 restrictions. It is true that many hospitals right now are overrun with the flu, RSV, and yes, some COVID, but we are back to somewhat of a normal level of functioning. Due to this, may we on this Christmas Eve and in general, “Reclaim Hope.”

          It is fair to say that many of us have lost and have suffered in many ways in the past three years. We have lost loved ones, some have lost jobs, relationships have ended, people have felt isolated, etc. “Reclaiming Hope” is something we have to do. With all the hurt, brokenness, and wars in the world, we need hope! We need hope in Jesus, and we need hope in each other. Sidney and the Tri-Town Area has been through a lot over the years. Floods, stores closing, downsizing of jobs, etc. It can be easy on this Christmas Eve 2022, to have only grief, despair, and negativity. Gas prices are way up, heating fuel is way up, inflation, the war in Ukraine, Tom Brady getting divorced, etc. There are a lot of problems.

          One could ask then, is it really practical for me as a pastor to encourage us all to “Reclaim Hope” on this Christmas Eve? Maybe we should all just give up and watch the world crumble. I don’t know about you, but because of the hope that I have in Christ and all of you, I don’t give up. I fight, I have hope, and I believe that the love of Jesus can make Sidney and this world so much better. We are stronger together, and great churches like this exist to be beacons of hope, light, life, and love. Churches like this make Sidney and the world better.

          Aside from all that churchy stuff though, Christmas Eve is often a night that churches have many visitors. Some of these visitors want to be here, but some have come with a little persuasion. I remember when I was a little kid, my mom told me that if we did not go to church on Christmas Eve that Santa would not come. So apparently my mother was claiming the Santa and Jesus Christ had some sort of Christmas Eve church service scam going on.

          Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t hate going to Christmas Eve church service. The church was beautiful, and I loved the hymns. Sometimes I even got a candy cane! So, we all are here tonight for different reasons. In fact, I have put together a list of the top ten reasons people go to a Christmas Eve church service that don’t really want to go.

1. Grandma or Mom told me I have to go, or else!

2. I don’t have to go to work tomorrow, and I don’t want to watch Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer for the 100th time.

3. My significant other has wanted a date night for a while, and since the church looks pretty, this is it.

4. My boss goes to this church, and I really want a raise.

5. I’m running from the law, and no one will think to look for me at a Christmas Eve church service.

6. I realized too late that I was not at the mall.

7. After everything that I have done wrong this year, it’s my last chance to repent and try to get gifts from Santa.

8. I can get out of wrapping gifts, cooking food, and dealing with guests at home that I don’t get along with.

9. Are you sure this isn’t the mall.

10. I am here because Jesus is born, and everyone loves a baby.

          With all of this said, why does this night matter? Why do make such a big deal every year about the birth of Jesus? Many of us know that Jesus was likely born in the spring, but for centuries the church has celebrated Jesus’ birth on December 25th. We also can’t change it now, we already have the tree up, and we have already sent out Christmas Cards. Whatever the actual day that Jesus was born, I want us to consider this question on Christmas Eve, 2022. This question is, “What Will We Do With This Child?”

          For those who have children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, nieces, nephews, etc., you might remember the joy that you felt when first held a newborn baby for the first time. Looking at the child with joy, wonder, and considering what that child will grow up to become. Jesus’s mother Mary of course new her son Jesus was different, special, God among us.

          What is amazing to me about Christmas is that the birth of one child can be so significant. So significant that two-thousand years later we still have Christmas Eve services, and Christmas Day service tomorrow, to commemorate the birth of this child. Many of us know that the Christian faith teaches that Jesus was born, grew up, loved, healed, forgave, transformed, died for us, rose again, ascended to heaven, and will one day will return in glory. All to often though we can view Jesus’ birth, live, death, and resurrection, as some sort of legal transaction. Jesus came to do X, Y, and Z, and as result we get X, Y, and Z in return. I would challenge us all tonight however, to consider the question of “What Will We Do With This Child?”

          I remember as a little boy going to Christmas Eve church services and sometimes being a little rambunctious. A little hard to handle. In fact, on Palm Sunday as a little boy, we were always given palms to wave around, to celebrate Jesus entering Jerusalem. One year, as a little boy, I thought that it would be fun to find a palm with a long stringy type of palm hair on the end of it. When my mom wasn’t looking, I tickled an older man’s ear in the pew in front of me. When he turned to look, I put the palm down, and sat up straight. I got away with this, until mom caught on the third tickle. As a result, I was not allowed to have a palm on Palm Sunday for a few years after this. Mom said, “Paulie, special kids get a palm after the church service”.

          Since I was sometimes rambunctious at Christmas Eve services, and in general in church, my mother would correct my behavior. One Christmas Eve my mom snapped at me and said, “Paulie behave and be nice, you are supposed to behave and be nice on Christmas!” Me being usually pretty quick witted responded and said, “So I can be rude and mean the day after Christmas?” Well my mom did not how to respond. Her face got red, and she finally just said, “No!”

          You know what is amazing to me though? The birth of Christ has become so baked into Western Culture, our culture, that people are nicer on Christmas Eve and on Christmas Day. Not everyone, but in general people are nicer on Christmas. Jesus Christ, our Lord, who is coming amongst us soon as a baby, is the very source of love itself. God in flesh, born outside, with barn animals, laid in straw in a sheep trough for a manger. God amongst us, Emmanuel, born to a young and powerless woman name Mary, a loving father named Joseph. The savior of the world born on that night, homeless.

          So insignificant, so uneventful, and yet we retell this story every year, and have done so for two-thousand years. We retell this story not just because Jesus will die for us, but because Jesus has changed the world. No one has changed more hearts, more people, or more cultures than Jesus. He taught us and still teaches us to love God and to love our neighbor as ourselves. Through all the struggles that we have been through and maybe are still our going through, “What Will We Do With This Child?” We will go forth from here loving more people like he did. Will we seek peace, hope, mercy, and a brighter future. Will we work together to make the world better. Friends, this is why he is coming amongst us, and why we need to “Reclaim Hope”.

          In our reading tonight, from the Prophet Isaiah, Isaiah wrote centuries before Jesus’ birth of what this child will grow up and become like. In Isaiah 9:6-9 it says, once again:

For a child has been born for us, a son given to us; authority rests upon his shoulders, and he is named Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Great will be his authority, and there shall be endless peace for the throne of David and his kingdom. He will establish and uphold it with justice and with righteousness from this time onward and forevermore. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will do this (Isa. 9:6-8, NRSV).

          Some might ask if this scripture is true, then why is there still so much wrong in the world” Part of the answer to this is us “Reclaiming Hope”. When we come together, when we love like Jesus, the world will be better. This is why this night matters, and why this child matters.

          In our gospel of Matthew lesson for tonight we hear one of the two narratives of the birth of Jesus. It is a narrative that includes all manner of people. God among us, born in the simplest of ways, so that we can see and live and love anew. So, “What Will We Do With This Child?”

Hopefully, prayerfully, we will go forth and live and love like him. For when we do, Sidney, the Tri-Town Area, and the world will be much better. For this is why he came and believe me, it is much more exciting than watching “Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer” for the 100th time. Merry Christmas and God bless to you all! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment