Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Sidney UMC - Thirteenth Sunday after Pentecost - 09/04/22 - Sermon - “The Potter's House”

Sunday 09/04/22 - Sidney UMC 

Sermon Title: “The Potter’s House”                                       

Old Testament Scripture: Jeremiah 18:1-11                                   

New Testament Scripture: Philemon 1-21

Gospel Lesson: Luke 14:25-33

          One of the trades that I have long been fascinated with and have long admired is that of being a potter. I mean think about it, you take clay, and from that clay you make amazing works of art. I have always love watching a potter’s wheel spin as they mold and shape whatever they are making. Their hands are always wet and clay covered. They then put their creation, usually in a kiln to cook/dry. You can make bowls, mugs, sculptures, etc. All this from a hunk a clay. Taking something very simple that is from the earth, and making things that are extraordinary. Or in the case of some us, not so extraordinary!

          A pastor that has a church in Dallas, Texas that I used to watch periodically is TD Jakes. He has, or had, a small weekly worship attendance of 17,000! Bishop Jakes, as he calls himself, heads a non-denominational church, and it is called “The Potter’s House”. Why would someone name a church “The Potter’s House” though? I mean I do not think that there are any pottery wheels in the church. The reason the church is called “The Potter’s House” though, is scriptures like the one we have this morning from Jeremiah 18:1-11. Like a potter who molds, shapes, and works with clay, our Book of Jeremiah reading for this morning, once again, tell us that ultimate potter is God.

          In fact, this is what our reading from Jeremiah 18:1-11 says once again, starting in 18:1:

18 The word that came to Jeremiah from the Lord“Come, go down to the potter’s house, and there I will let you hear my words.” So I went down to the potter’s house, and there he was working at his wheel. The vessel he was making of clay was spoiled in the potter’s hand, and he reworked it into another vessel, as seemed good to him (Jer. 18:1-4, NRSV).

 

          So, the word of God comes to Jeremiah, and tells him to go down to the potter’s house. Jeremiah sees this potter, who makes pots working at his wheel. Unfortunately, the pot that this potter was working on was not coming out too good. As a result, the potter squashed the bad pot back into a piece of clay. The potter then made a new, and a good pot. This is an analogy for God wanting to fix and reshape the people of Israel, but it has taken on an even broader meaning. This broader meaning, is that God is the potter. This is why Pastor, or Bishop TD Jakes’s church in Dallas, Texas is called “The Potter’s House”. In the way God was reshaping Israel, God is like a potter, reshaping us all.

          In fact, this scripture and other scriptures in the bible compare God to a potter, and us to the clay. This reality reminds me a song I used to sing in the Christian group I was in, in college. This song is called “Change My Heart O God,” by Eddie Espinosa, and this song also happens to be in our “The Faith We Sing” hymnal number, 2152. It is a very short song, but let me read the lyrics of this song to you:

Change my heart oh God, make it ever true Change my heart oh God, may I be like You - You are the potter, I am the clay Mold me and make me, this is what I pray (https://unlimitedworship.org/songs/detail/923/Change-My-Heart-Oh-God).

 

          So, while in some cases the analogy of the potter, is sometimes seen as God reshaping Israel, God is the potter of us all. Do we allow God to reshape and remold us though, that we might be more and more perfected into God’s image? Or do we resist God, and resist God’s will on our lives?

          In continuing on in our reading for this morning from the prophet Jeremiah, Jeremiah gets another word or message from God. Picking up in 18:5 it says:

Then the word of the Lord came to me: Can I not do with you, O house of Israel, just as this potter has done? says the Lord. Just like the clay in the potter’s hand, so are you in my hand, O house of Israel. At one moment I may declare concerning a nation or a kingdom, that I will pluck up and break down and destroy it, but if that nation, concerning which I have spoken, turns from its evil, I will change my mind about the disaster that I intended to bring on it. And at another moment I may declare concerning a nation or a kingdom that I will build and plant it, 10 but if it does evil in my sight, not listening to my voice, then I will change my mind about the good that I had intended to do to it. 11 Now, therefore, say to the people of Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem: Thus says the Lord: Look, I am a potter shaping evil against you and devising a plan against you. Turn now, all of you from your evil way, and amend your ways and your doings (Jer. 18:5-11, NRSV).


     God has the power to change evil to good, and to mold and fashion us, as a potter molds and fashions clay. God wants to mold us into vessels of love, compassion, faith, mercy, holiness, and righteousness. As the song says of God, “You are the potter, I am the clay”.

     To be molded by God, to be changed by Christ, and to be filled and led by the Holy Spirit, is to be gradually made and molded into a beautiful, holy, and righteous piece of pottery. The Apostle Paul tells his friend Philemon this morning once again in 1:4-7:

When I remember you in my prayers, I always thank my God because I hear of your love for all the saints and your faith toward the Lord Jesus. I pray that the sharing of your faith may become effective when you perceive all the good that we may do for Christ. I have indeed received much joy and encouragement from your love, because the hearts of the saints have been refreshed through you, my brother (Phil. 1:4-7, NRSV).

 

     God is the potter, we are the clay, and we are hopefully being made more and more into the image of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

          In looking at our gospel of Luke 14:25-33 reading for this morning Jesus tells us the cost of discipleship. If we are really going to be molded by God to be more in Jesus Christ, then have to daily seek after Christ. Our gospel lesson from Luke 14:25-33, picks up once again in Luke 14:25 saying of Jesus:

25 Now large crowds were traveling with him; and he turned and said to them, 26 “Whoever comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and even life itself, cannot be my disciple. 27 Whoever does not carry the cross and follow me cannot be my disciple (Lk. 14:25-27, NRSV).

          I don’t think that Jesus is literally telling us to hate our families or life itself per se, instead I think that Jesus is telling us how closely that we need to be focused on him. We need to surrender to God, and we need to allow God to mold and to shape our lives. If we will truly let the potter mold us and fashion us into the image of Christ, then we need to submit fully to God. If there are barriers between us and Christ, then those are barriers to God further molding us in his image. We need to realize that following Christ is great, but it takes our focus, our commitment, and it has a cost. Jesus compares this to building a tower and war. Jesus says picking up in Like 14:8:

28 For which of you, intending to build a tower, does not first sit down and estimate the cost, to see whether he has enough to complete it? 29 Otherwise, when he has laid a foundation and is not able to finish, all who see it will begin to ridicule him, 30 saying, ‘This fellow began to build and was not able to finish.’ 31 Or what king, going out to wage war against another king, will not sit down first and consider whether he is able with ten thousand to oppose the one who comes against him with twenty thousand? 32 If he cannot, then, while the other is still far away, he sends a delegation and asks for the terms of peace. 33 So therefore, none of you can become my disciple if you do not give up all your possessions.

          If we surrender our lives, our possessions, our wealth, and everything to God, God can then further mold us into the image of Christ. This does mean that we won’t have possessions or some wealth, it simply means that it is no longer ours. What do I mean by this? I mean that everything we have we do not own, but rather we are caretakers of what we have and own for God. Everything we have and possess is God’s, and when surrender our lives and all that we have to God, then we can further be molded and shaped into God’s image. Jesus is telling us in our gospel of Luke reading for this morning how important it is for us to be fully surrendered to God.

          Certain religious orders within the Christian faith, call people to literally give up all of there wealth and possessions as a measure of their specific calling. This would include monks, nuns, etc. Most of us therefore, are called to surrender everything have to God. This do not mean have nothing, but it does mean that whatever we have is God’s, and we are caretakers of what God has given us. The master potter of us all has given us what we have, so that we can live, serve, give, and bless others. It is not ours; we are but managers of what God has given us. As grow closer to Christ, as we molded and fashioned by the potter, God will lead us to do what he has called to do with all that he has given us.

          When we look at our faith this way, when we follow after God, seeking to be more like Christ, we more fully allow the potter to mold and shape us. It is hard for a potter to work, mold, and shape a piece of clay though, if pieces of the clay are missing. These missing places of clay symbolize in our lives areas that we have not fully surrendered to God. If there are parts of our lives that do not belong to the potter, then how will God shape those missing parts? God will do what God will do, but Christ wants all of us. God wants to shape us and mold us, to bless us, and to see us become made into the full image of his son. This my friends, is why God called Jeremiah to go to “The Potter’s House” this morning. God wanted to show Jeremiah what he could do with people that turn to him, that trust him, and that love him fully. This is also why God invites all of us to come him, the master potter, so that we might be molded and fashioned until the image of his son Jesus Christ. Today and always, may we go to “The Potter’s House”. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment