Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Sidney UMC - Sixteenth Sunday after Pentecost - 09/12/21 - Sermon - “Taming the Tongue!” (“The Book of James” - Series: Part 2 of 4)

Sunday 09/12/21 - Sidney UMC 

Sermon Title:                “Taming the Tongue!”

                    (“The Book of James” - Series: Part 2 of 4)

Old Testament Scripture: Proverbs 1:20-33                                  

New Testament Scripture: James 3:1-12

Gospel Lesson: Mark 8:27-38

          Last Sunday, as some of you may remember, I started a sermon series on the Book of James. As I said last Sunday, the Book of James is a challenging book of scripture. The Apostle James, the brother of the Apostle John pulls no punches, and tells us all very boldly and directly how Christians are supposed to live. The Book of James is book of scripture that should convict us to turn from our sin and to be better. To be more like Jesus.

In our reading for last Sunday, we were given James 2:1-17 once again. In this reading, James addressed the topic of “Faith and Works”. James told us that “faith without works is dead” (Jas. 2:17). Meaning, if we know Christ, if we have been transformed by Christ, is this reflected in our daily living? Are we doing good works because we want to, versus stacking them up like a bank account to get us into heaven? All we need is faith in Christ for salvation, eternity, heaven, but doing good works is a measure of our faith in Christ and our love of our neighbors.

Since I preached at Unadilla UMC last Sunday, Georgia Baker, who is on our Sauce and Cross praise team and a member of Unadilla UMC asked me if I was really preaching on the Book of James this whole month. Georgia asked me this because she is preaching this morning at the Unadilla UMC. I told her “Yes, I am preaching on the Book of James this whole month”. Then she said, “Not me that’s too hard!” She is not wrong!

This morning from our Book of James reading we hear once again about the dangers of our tongues. Not just that we have tongues, but what we can saw with our tongues. Our tongues can do a lot of good, and they can do a lot of bad.

In our Book of Proverbs reading for this morning once again, Proverbs 1:20 says:

20 Wisdom cries out in the street; in the squares she raises her voice           (Prov. 1:20, NRSV).

Do we share wisdom with our tongues, or do we do the opposite? I was not too excited about giving this sermon this morning in a way, because I don’t know if you know this about me or not, but I talk a lot. I will pause for a moment so you can all take that this shocking revelation in, as the idea that I talk a lot is probably a hard thing for you to hear about me! I know, I am sure that Melissa is surprised right now to!

You see, I am an extreme extrovert. If I am not careful, I will interrupt you when you’re talking, and I will likely say the first thing that come to my mind. I know I know, you are no doubt very shocked to hear this! In fact, in one of my seminary classes the teacher told me that I was only allowed to ask three questions per class. I am talker, and sometimes I talk before, I think. Sometimes this has even caused me to have the rare disorder called “Foot in Mouth Disorder”.

So let us hear the very stinging and convicting words from the Book of James for this morning once again starting in James 3:1, which says:

Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers and sisters, for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness. For all of us make many mistakes. Anyone who makes no mistakes in speaking is perfect, able to keep the whole body in check with a bridle. If we put bits into the mouths of horses to make them obey us, we guide their whole bodies. Or look at ships: though they are so large that it takes strong winds to drive them, yet they are guided by a very small rudder wherever the will of the pilot directs. So also the tongue is a small member, yet it boasts of great exploits (Jas. 3:1-5, NRSV).

Our tongues are small, but they can do a lot of good, and they can do a lot of damage. I am talker, a chatterer, and I need to control my tongue more. How about all of you? Do you need to “Tame your Tongue?” Many of us have heard statements like, “If you have nothing good to say, then don’t say anything at all”! Or “You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar”. My favorite of course is “Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will never hurt me”.

My mom was at a Christian women’s conference once, and the speaker challenged the idea that “words will never hurt me”. In fact, this speaker said, “words wound”. I have said things in my life that I regret, have you? I have been forgiven and I have forgiven myself, but the tongue is powerful little thing right inside of our mouths. Continuing on from James 3:5b it says:

How great a forest is set ablaze by a small fire! And the tongue is a fire. The tongue is placed among our members as a world of iniquity; it stains the whole body, sets on fire the cycle of nature, and is itself set on fire by hell    (Jas. 3:5b-6, NRSV).

Do you understand now why some pastors and priests don’t like to preach out of the Book of James? It is a tough book of scripture, and it calls us all out our sins, our flaws, and our brokenness. The Book of James calls us to repent of our sins and live and love more like Jesus. I am sure as we are all thinking right now that we can all remember things that we have said that maybe looking back we now regret. Maybe we were scared, exhausted, or stressed, and we said things that we should not have. We have all done it. The Apostle James tells us that we all on some level need “Taming of the Tongue!”

Let us finish reading through our Book of James reading for this morning from James 3:7-12 once again, which says:

For every species of beast and bird, of reptile and sea creature, can be tamed and has been tamed by the human species, but no one can tame the tongue—a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless the Lord and Father, and with it we curse those who are made in the likeness of God. 10 From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this ought not to be so. 11 Does a spring pour forth from the same opening both fresh and brackish water? 12 Can a fig tree, my brothers and sisters, yield olives, or a grapevine figs? No more can salt water yield fresh (Jas. 3:7-12, NRSV).

The Apostle James does not pull any punches, or as your mother and father used to say, “Watch your mouth young man!” or “Watch you mouth young lady!” Anyone ever heard that line before? How about, “As long you live under this roof you will follow our rules and show us some respect!” Or for me my mother said when I was kid, “So Paul you are saying that you didn’t eat the Doritos, but the empty Doritos bag is in your garbage can, and your fingertips are orange”? I said, “Yes mom that is correct!” I fessed up pretty quick after that!

You know the older I get, I want to show people the love, mercy, and compassion of Jesus. I want to tell them the truth, and sometime the truth can cut and sting. Yet the truth can still be told in love. I don’t know about you all, but I need “Taming” of “the Tongue” sometimes! Do you? Someone in the gospels who definitely needed “Taming” of “the Tongue” was the Apostle Peter. The Apostle Peter was always blurting out things and always trying to do what Jesus did, or sometimes even trying to tell Jesus what to do. It never ended well.

Of all of the Apostles that I think I am the most like, I am the most like the Apostle Peter. When focused though when we “Tame our Tongues” God can use us. Someone can be punched, slapped, kicked, but the tongue can also do a whole lot of damage, can it not? The tongue takes wedding vows, the tongue communicates our inmost thoughts.

In looking briefly at our gospel of Mark reading for this morning, Jesus inquires of his disciples who others saying he is. In fact, starting in Mark 7:27 it says:

27 Jesus went on with his disciples to the villages of Caesarea Philippi; and on the way he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that I am?” 28 And they answered him, “John the Baptist; and others, Elijah; and still others, one of the prophets.” 29 He asked them, “But who do you say that I am?” Peter answered him, “You are the Messiah.” 30 And he sternly ordered them not to tell anyone about him (Mk. 7:27-29, NRSV).

 

          The Apostle Peter, as usual had no problem blurting out his thoughts. After this in our gospel of Mark reading for this morning, Jesus, teaches us with his tongue, what he will do, why, and what we must do as Christians. The gospel continues on in Mark 7:31 saying of Jesus:

31 Then he began to teach them that the Son of Man must undergo great suffering, and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests, and the scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again. 32 He said all this quite openly. And Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. 33 But turning and looking at his disciples, he rebuked Peter and said, “Get behind me, Satan! For you are setting your mind not on divine things but on human things.”

 

          So again, the Apostle Peter just blurts things out to Jesus. I am personally glad that I never just blurt things out!

The gospel reading for this morning then concludes once again with Jesus teaching the crowd, with his tongue. Our gospel lesson for this morning ends start in Mark 8:34 with:

34 He called the crowd with his disciples, and said to them, “If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. 35 For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake, and for the sake of the gospel, will save it. 36 For what will it profit them to gain the whole world and forfeit their life? 37 Indeed, what can they give in return for their life? 38 Those who are ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of them the Son of Man will also be ashamed when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.” (Mk. 8:34-38, NRSV).

 

          Pretty powerful words from the tongue of the Son of God, God in the flesh, the savior of the world. How many of us have said powerful words that were both good and not good? I do not know about you friends, but sometimes I need “Taming” of “the tongue”. How about you? Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment