Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Sidney UMC - Tenth Sunday after Pentecost - 08/01/21 - Sermon - “Feed People and Feed People!” (“Feeding the Body and the Soul” - Series: Part 1 of 5)

                                 Sunday 08/01/21 - Sidney UMC

Sermon Title:          “Feed People and Feed People!”

             (“Feeding the Body and the Soul” - Series: Part 1 of 5)

Old Testament Scripture: Psalm 51:1-12                                     

New Testament Scripture: Ephesians 4:1-16

Gospel Lesson: John 6:24-35

          This morning in our gospel of John reading that I just read, it says once again in John 6:26-27:

26 Jesus answered them, “Very truly, I tell you, you are looking for me, not because you saw signs, but because you ate your fill of the loaves. 27 Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures for eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For it is on him that God the Father has set his seal.”                     (John 6:-26-27, NRSV)

          Jesus is saying in this scripture that people not only need physical food, but also spiritual food. For example, Jesus says in the gospel of Matthew 25:35-40:

35 for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something to drink? 38 And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you, or naked and gave you clothing? 39 And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you?’ 40 And the king will answer them, ‘Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family,  you did it to me.’              (Mt. 25:35-40, NRSV).

          So, what are we supposed to do then friends? Are we to be focused on feeding bodies or feeding souls? The biblical answer is both. For these reasons, and because of our Gospel of John readings for the next five weeks, I will be preaching a sermon series called “Feeding the Body and the Soul”. In this sermon series, I will talk about the Christian call to feed people physically, but also the call from Christ to be feed spiritually. I am proud to pastor a church that takes both physical and spiritual food seriously.

          This is why my first part of this sermon series is called “Feed People and Feed People”! You know, I have been to churches where it seemed clear from the pastor and the church that the only focus was spiritually feeding people. Don’t get me wrong, the primary mission of the Christian Church is to bring people into relationship with Jesus Christ. Yet, there is more in addition to bringing people to salvation in the Lord Jesus Christ. This is why our Sidney UMC mission statement is:

Is to bring people into relationship with Jesus Christ, and equip them to transform the world”.

          We want all people to repent of there sins, come to Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, be filled by the Holy Spirit, and be transformed. Beyond this primary and central mission of our church, the rest of our mission here at Sidney UMC is:

 “and equip them to transform the world”.

          This mission statement is the mission statement of the United Methodist Church, with some modifications. Some of this transformation as I just stated though, is Christ working in me and you so that we can serve and love others in new and amazing ways. This transformation has led to this church housing the largest foodbank in Delaware County, hosting Share the Bounty dinners for years, Sauce and Cross dinners, and etc. If someone comes to this church hungry, we will get them something to eat, something to drink, etc., but the church of Jesus Christ is called to “Feed People and Feed People!”. Well, what do I mean by this once again? We are called to help take care of people’s physical needs, while addressing their spiritual needs.

          Of all the Wesleyan of Methodist traditions of Christianity, I have to say that in my opinion the denomination that does this the best is the Salvation Army. They preach the full life saving gospel of Jesus Christ, and people’s physical needs are also met. The gospel, the bible calls us to do both. We are to “Feed People and Feed People”. Our hope should be that in the process of caring for people’s physical needs, that they see the great love and the hope that we have in Jesus Christ. Not only will their bodies be feed, but so will their souls. We are called to “Feed People and Feed People!”

While I have seen churches that only seemed focused on bringing people to Christ and not caring for their physical needs, I have also seen churches that seemed only concerned with people’s physical needs, and not bringing them to Christ. Yet we are called to do both. We are called to “Feed People and Feed People!”

          Some people might say though that what Jesus said this morning in John 6:26-27 was harsh. You see, Jesus had just performed the miracle of the feeding of the five thousand with five loaves of bread, and two fish. This miracle was about much more than just the physical food though. Jesus wanted these people to believe in him, and to live for him. Where the rub comes in is when some of the people that Jesus feed catch up with him on the other side of the sea. Once again, as I read, as it says in the top of the inside of our bulletin for this morning, Jesus says in 6:26-27:

26 Jesus answered them, “Very truly, I tell you, you are looking for me, not because you saw signs, but because you ate your fill of the loaves. 27 Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures for eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For it is on him that God the Father has set his seal.”            (John 6:-26-27, NRSV)

          Some might say, “Well jeez Pastor Paul, that is harsh. Doesn’t Jesus want to give them more physical food for their bodies?” Everything Jesus did on this earth, was so that people would have faith in God through him. It’s not that Jesus did not want to love, heal, feed, and forgive, for this was and is who Jesus is. Yet Jesus’ primary mission on earth was die for our sins on the cross and have us follow him as our savior and Lord. The problem in John 6:26-27 then isn’t that Jesus feed people physically. Instead, the problem was that the people didn’t seem to care about who Jesus was spiritually. Let me say this again, the problem in John 6:26-27 then isn’t that Jesus feed people physically. Instead, the problem was that the people didn’t seem to care about who Jesus was spiritually. So many churches are good at feeding people’s physical needs, yet are we allowing God to use us to lead people to Christ?

          Jesus is saying then that it is about more than just the food from the foodbank. It is about more than just a free community dinner or a dinner and worship. The physical food is important, but the real food, the spiritual food, is Jesus Christ.

          In fact, Jesus ends this gospel of John reading for this morning, once again, with one of his “I Am” statements, which we will hear again next Sunday, as well. Jesus says in John 6:35 once again:

35 Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty. (Jn. 6:35, NRSV).

          The primary mission of the church is to bring people into relationship with Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. Someone might say, “So you don’t care that there are hungry people Pastor Paul?”. No, I care a lot, but as much as I care about people’s physical bodies, I also care about people’s eternal bodies and their enteral life. We are called to “Feed People and Feed People!”

          In our reading this morning from Ephesians 4:1-16, hear about the various gifts and callings that people have. The Apostle Paul says in Ephesians 4:11-13:

11 The gifts he gave were that some would be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and teachers, 12 to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, 13 until all of us come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to maturity, to the measure of the full stature of Christ.            (Eph. 4:11-13, NRSV).

          God gives all of us different gifts and graces so that we might “Feed People and Feed People”! In doing this, God will use us to lead people to the head of the church, Jesus Christ. God will also use us in various ways to transform Sidney and world.

          Part of my role as a pastor is not only bringing people to faith in Christ through God, but also to help those people to discover or strengthen their gifts and graces. I don’t want everyone here to do what I think you should do. I want everyone hear to be unleashed in the ministries that God has called you to, so that we might fulfill the mission of this church, which is:

Is to bring people into relationship with Jesus Christ, and equip them to transform the world”.

          How do we do this as Sidney UMC? We do this by what our church vision is:

1. Love God

2. Serve Others

3. Transform the World

          Through doing this, God will bring people to Christ, we will find or further develop our gifts and graces, and we will serve others and pursue the ministries that God has called us to. We will do all this to transform Sidney and the world.

          Since I have the privilege of having my father Ken and my stepmother Jan from Illinois with us today, I want to tell a story about my father. As you might have heard me say, my late Grandpa Winkelman grew up during the Great Depression. As a result, my grandma and grandma, and my father and stepmother have pantries. Maybe it’s more of a mid-west thing, but you stock up on food and store it in a room. You can, you jar, etc., because if you grew up in the great depression like my Grandpa Winkelman did, you know what it is like to not have a lot of money.

          For a number of years, the Winkelman men and other family would take annual summer fishing trips. Sometimes Grandpa Winkelman would cook a meal. It was not uncommon for Grandma Winkelman to make a ten-pound bag of potatoes and expect that we eat it all in one meal. If we didn’t though, it would come back for lunch, for dinner, and so on and so forth. My grandpa and grandma never wasted food. To this day, I hate throwing out or wasting food. Anyone else feel the same way?

          I remember when I was a kid eating dinner at my dad and stepmother’s table. Here was the deal at that table, you could put as much food on your plate as you wanted. Yet, the deal was also that we must finish everything on our plates before we were excused from dinner. A couple of times when I was kid, I thought this clear your plate thing was a bluff. After a few minutes or several hours at the dinner table however, I learned that I was going to finish the food I put on my plate.

          In the process of learning the value and the blessing of physical food, I also received spiritual food. The lessons I learned and the things that I was taught were more than just the food I was physically eating. We all did and do need to eat physical food, but families, and church families can also share spiritual food. That spiritual food is Jesus Christ. I learned about physical food growing up, but I was also offered spiritual food.

          As a church, our faith teaches us to “Feed People and Feed People!” It is right and
 
proper to feed people’s bodies, but may we also feed people’s souls so that they may be

led to the Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment