Thursday, June 3, 2021

Sidney UMC - Second Sunday after Pentecost - 06/06/21 - Sermon - “Has Your Family Ever Thought You Were Crazy?"

Sunday 06/06/21 - Sidney UMC 

Sermon Title:   “Has Your Family Ever Thought You Were Crazy?”

Old Testament Scripture: Psalm 138                                        

New Testament Scripture: 2 Corinthians 4:13-5:1 

Gospel Lesson: Mark 3:20-35

          So, my sermon for this morning, which is based upon on our gospel of Mark 3:20-35 reading, is called “Has Your Family Ever Thought You Were Crazy?” This title for my sermon is somewhat tongue and cheek, as I am not shining light on actual mental health issues. Some people have real and hard mental health struggles, and my sermon title is more tongue and cheek around calling someone “crazy” in a humorous or a joking way.

          In our gospel of Mark reading for this morning once again, Jesus’ family, friends, and others are not claiming though that Jesus is “crazy” in a humorous or a joking way. In fact, these folks are literally claiming that Jesus is mentally ill and or insane. Once again in our gospel of Mark reading for this morning it says in 3:21-22:

20 and the crowd came together again, so that they could not even eat. 21 When his family heard it, they went out to restrain him, for people were saying, “He has gone out of his mind” (Mk. 3:21-22, NRSV).

          So, as I am about to get into this topic more, some of Jesus’ family, friends, and others are not joking or being funny, they are saying that he has literally lost his mind. In fact, according to one of my Bible Commentaries it says of Mark 3:20-35:

“This segment is put together to demonstrate the extent to which Jesus was rejected. The combination of being misunderstood by family members and subjected to malicious denunciation by his foes underlines his total rejection. His rejection by his family took place in an unidentified house in Galilee, where a crowd had gathered, so clamoring for his attention that he scarcely had a moment to eat (3:20). When news of this reached his family, they misconstrued what was going on. To them, he had gone insane”                (Africa Bible Commentary, pg. 1203).

          So, yes, Jesus Christ, the Lord of Life, this morning was thought to be insane by his family, friends, and others. Given this, I want to tell you a golfing story about Jesus and Moses. Here it is:

“So, Moses and Jesus are golfing at Shinnecock Hills before the US Open. They get to #6 and Jesus says to Moses, “I saw Tiger hit this with a 3 iron.”

“Yeah, well, you’re not him,” says Moses. Jesus, smirks, picks up his 3 iron and thwack, the ball plops in the water. “I’ll get it, I’ll get it,” says Moses. Who wades into the water looking for the ball. To no avail. “Just take another shot,” Moses says. “I can do it,” says Jesus. “Just hit the driver,” Moses urges. “Tiger did it,” says Jesus. “You’re going in after it this time then,” Moses says. “Sure, if it goes in,” Jesus answers. “But it won’t.” He takes his time. Lines up the shot. Reads the wind. Approaches the ball. Sets his sandals in the grass. Breathes in. Pulls his 2 iron back. THWACK. The ball sails then slices into the water. Jesus lets his shoulders sit momentarily and then is unbowed. “Tiger did it,” he says to Moses brightly, then he takes off his sandals and goes out after the ball. He wades into the water, looking down and around about where the ball plopped. Moses watches from the tee as Jesus rises up onto the surface of the water, walking along the surface, searching. Two men in the next party approach Moses and point out toward the water. “Who’s that guy think he is?” they ask, “Jesus Christ?” Moses answers, “No, he thinks he’s Tiger Woods” (https://whalebonemag.com/golf-joke-shinnecock-hills/).

          This morning in our gospel of Mark reading, family, friends, and others, think that Jesus has gone insane, just as the next golf party did in the golf joke that I just told.

          Some of us maybe have been called “crazy” or insane, as a joke, or maybe for real. Maybe there been times that some of us legitimately struggled with mental health, or that we were just being silly. In the gospel of Mark reading for this morning, once again, this is no joke. People literally think that Jesus has lost touch with reality.

          In my own life I have been called “crazy” or insane many times. I think, I hope, most of these were jokes, but I am sure that some were not. As I was writing this sermon I thought of story from when I was in elementary school, where I thought I had gone insane.

          So, from age 11-16 I had a paper route in Monroe, Ny, where I lived. It was not a massive paper route. It varied from 20-something to 30-something customers. The news papers were delivered from a truck every morning at the end of the driveway of my family’s house. I would take my two-paper carrier bags and get the newspapers to deliver them. I would then collect newspaper subscription fees and tips on the weekend. As long as I paid the cost of the newspapers, I could keep the rest. On Sundays, my mom used to help me stuff the comics and store ads part of the newspaper into the Sunday newspaper. I really enjoyed my paper route, I got know people in the neighborhood, and when I started my snow shoveling business, I had made plenty of contacts.

          At 12 years old, I could boast that I made a big $20-30 dollars week, which was a lot of money to me. I then began shoveling snow and then snow blowing snow, and I earned even more. Sometimes though, when I would get up really early to deliver the newspapers, I would be tired. Maybe I was up late doing homework and or playing Nintendo. Or potentially watching tv when I was not supposed to. It is amazing that if you turn the volume on your tv down, that mom does not even notice it.

          One day when I was 12-13, I remember getting up, and I had on two-piece pajamas. The top part of the pajamas was the type that buttoned up from the bottom to the top, and I had the pants to match. I threw my jacket on, and I delivered newspapers in my pajamas. After all who was up that early anyway?

          When I got back from delivering the newspapers that day, I then proceeded to put on my school clothes. I remembered being tired, but I soon found at school the mistake I had made. I learned this in the morning at school, as my stomach felt itchy. I reached down to my stomach to relieve that itch, and as I did, I felt a button. I then asked my teacher if I could go to the bathroom quick. Upon going to the bathroom, I discovered that my pajamas were on under my clothes. I had that freak out moment thinking, “Well maybe I can just take off my pajamas and put my clothes back on”. Except my book bag was left in the classroom, so I would look pretty foolish walking back into class with my pajamas in my hands.

          So, for the rest of the school day, I wore my pajamas under my clothes. My friends and the staff of school luckily never found out I had my pajamas on under my clothes, and luckily, I did not have Phys. Ed. That day. That would have been fun!

When I got home from school that day, I then immediately took off the pajamas and put my clothes back on. When my mom came home from work and I told her about this, she laughed hysterically and said that I was crazy. This was a joke of course, I think. We all have times though when we think or say such things of those we know and those we love.

          Once again, this morning Jesus’ family, friends, and others say that he is insane, and they do not mean this in a nice or a joking way. In our reading for this morning from Psalm 138 once again, it says in 138:7:

“Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve me against the wrath of my enemies; (Ps. 138:7, NRSV).

          Amazing though, that if even for a moment your own friends, you own family and even your own community is against you.

          In our reading from 2 Corinthians for this morning, the Apostle Paul says in 4:13-14:

13 But just as we have the same spirit of faith that is in accordance with scripture—“I believed, and so I spoke”—we also believe, and so we speak, 14 because we know that the one who raised the Lord Jesus will raise us also with Jesus, and will bring us with you into his presence”                              (2 Cor. 4:13-14, NRSV). 

          The Apostle Paul is saying that his faith is in accordance with the scripture. He is saying that he believed, and he spoke. The Apostle Paul says that God raised Jesus from the dead, and we will raise with Jesus. We ultimately will be in Jesus’ presence. Simple enough right?

          So, what is the problem that some have with Jesus this morning in our gospel of Mark 3:20-35 reading, once again? Let us look at the gospel reading again. It says of Jesus:

20 and the crowd came together again, so that they could not even eat. 21 When his family heard it, they went out to restrain him, for people were saying, “He has gone out of his mind.” 22 And the scribes who came down from Jerusalem said, “He has Beelzebul, and by the ruler of the demons he casts out demons.” 23 And he called them to him, and spoke to them in parables, “How can Satan cast out Satan? 24 If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. 25 And if a house is divided against itself, that house will not be able to stand. 26 And if Satan has risen up against himself and is divided, he cannot stand, but his end has come. 27 But no one can enter a strong man’s house and plunder his property without first tying up the strong man; then indeed the house can be plundered” (Mk. 3:20-27, NRSV).

 

          Friends, the community, and even Jesus’ family are perplexed, or so it would seem by what he is able to. He is performing miracles and casting demons out of people, but by using demons, so the scribes from Jerusalem claimed. Jesus then says, how can evil cast out evil? Only good can cast out evil, and only evil can try to cast out good. Jesus then says you must tie up and control a strong and a good man, before you will ever be able to destroy his property and his life.

          Jesus then continues on saying:

28 “Truly I tell you, people will be forgiven for their sins and whatever blasphemies they utter; 29 but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit can never have forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin”— 30 for they had said, “He has an unclean spirit” (Mk. 3:28-30, NRSV).

 

          Jesus says we can all be forgiven of our sins through him but blaspheming against the Holy Spirit, against God, is an unforgivable sin. To reject and to blaspheme the Spirit of God then is to harden your heart against God. This is something that we should never do.

          This gospel reading then ends saying:

31 Then his mother and his brothers came; and standing outside, they sent to him and called him. 32 A crowd was sitting around him; and they said to him, “Your mother and your brothers and sisters are outside, asking for you.” 33 And he replied, “Who are my mother and my brothers?” 34 And looking at those who sat around him, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers! 35 Whoever does the will of God is my brother and sister and mother” (Mk. 3:31-35, NRSV).

 

          Jesus is saying that whoever follows him, follows God, and that they are his brother, his sisters, and his mother. Friends, sometimes people get the wrong idea or the wrong opinion about us and others. Sometimes we do things that are a little “crazy,” like wear our pajamas under our clothes to school. Jesus is not “crazy” or insane though, as the only explanation for him to be able to do what he has done, is that he is God. God is perfect, not “crazy,” not insane, even though some of us feel like are call people that sometimes. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment