Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Sidney UMC - Mother's Day/Fifth Sunday of Easter - 05/10/20 - Sermon - “Moms: and the Way, the Truth, and the Life"


Sunday 05/10/20 - Sidney UMC

Sermon Title:          
               “Moms: and the Way, the Truth, and the Life”

Old Testament Scripture: Psalm 31:1-5, 15-16
                                           
New Testament Scripture: 1 Peter 2:2-10

Gospel Lesson: John 14:1-14

          My friends, brothers and sisters, greetings once again on this our Fifth Sunday of the Season of Easter. In the season of Easter, the common Easter greeting of the church is, He is Risen! He is Risen, Indeed. Alleluia!
          In my young 38-years of life, I have been to many church services on Mother’s Day, which is today, Sunday May 10th. I have worshiped in and have led many services that have honored mothers and all women, on this special day. This day is also not only special in the life of the church, but throughout our entire country. On this day, we honor mothers, grandmothers, and all the women in our lives that have loved us.
          For many of us, our mothers were or are great sources of strength and inspiration. For some though, this might not be the case, but I can imagine there were and are women in your lives that were like mothers. Some of these women were “adopted mothers.” No legal papers were signed, but you did or do see this person as a mother. Some mothers legally adopted children or fostered children. Not all mothers gave birth to their children, and all women have mothered someone or something. If you have cared for animal, a plant, or any living thing, then you have been a mother. As such, today and always, we honor all mothers.
          In our gospel of John lesson for this morning once again, it says in 14:6:
“Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (Jn. 14:6, NRSV).

          This famous verse of scripture, which is one of Jesus’ famous “I Am” statements on his Lordship, his authority, and on him being the savior of the world. This morning, Jesus is telling us that the way of hope, love, peace, mercy, salvation, and wholeness, is through him and him alone.
          For many of us, our mothers, or the mothering figures in our lives have or are still teaching us many things. For many of us, our mothers, or the mothering figures in our lives, showed us the ways to live, they taught us many truths, and they either birthed us into life or gave us life in many ways. My mother Susan taught me many ways to live, the ways of Christ, the truths of Christ, and not only birthed me into life, but told me about the new life that is in Jesus Christ.
          Some mothers and mothering figures, help us find our way in life, teach us many truths, and teach us about life, in general. Some mothers and mothering figures do all of this, and in addition to all of this, they also pass the Christian faith on to us. These mothers and mothering figures tell us about Jesus, who is the way, the truth, and the life.
          I also do not think that on this Mother’s Day that our reading from 1 Peter 2:2-10 for this morning, is a mistake. In this scripture we hear about infants and milk. Peter of course is discussing our Christian faith, as our reading from 1 Peter 2 once again says:
“Like newborn infants, long for the pure, spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow into salvation—if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is good”             (1 Pt. 2:2-3, NRSV).

          So, in this scripture, Peter is talking about faith in Christ, but I really find it interesting that on Mother’s Day that Peter compares faith to newborn infants longing for milk. Peter says new Christians long for pure, spiritual milk, and through this, salvation in Christ. Peter says of the spiritual milk that is growing our faith in Christ, like milk for babies, we can taste and see that the Lord is good.
          Some infants these days are fed baby formula, instead of the milk of there mothers, but many infants are still fed the milk of there mothers. Without this milk, the baby might not survive. Given this, on this Mother’s Day, it is so interesting that the Apostle Peter is talking about new Christians drinking milk for spiritual nourishment. Eventually as we grow in our faith, we move to the solid food of faith, as babies also go from milk to solid food.
          A new Christian grows in their faith on spiritual milk, and a new baby grows physically on their mother’s milk. Just as we are nourished by God, we are nourished by mothers and mothering figures. If we were not given milk as babies, we would have never made it to solid food.
          This why my sermon this morning is called, “Moms: and the way, the truth, and the life.” Many moms and mothering figures show us the ways to live, teach us the truths of life, give us life, and show us the value of life. In a similar way, new Christians are nurtured with the milk of faith.
          Some of us, as I said, have blessed with a mother or a mothering figure that showed us the way, the truth, and the live in Jesus Christ. There is earthly life, and life eternal in Jesus Christ. The Apostle Peter ends this reading for this morning, once again, reminding who we are in Jesus Christ. Peter says:
But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s own people, in order that you may proclaim the mighty acts of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. Once you were not a people, but now you are God’s people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy” (1 Pt. 2:9-10, NRSV).
          Mothers and mothering figures have shown us the way, the truth, and the life on Earth, and maybe even shown us the way, the truth, and the life in Jesus Christ.
          Now do not get wrong, fathers and father figures are also immensely important in our lives to, but today is Mother’s Day.
I lamented when preparing for this worship service. This is my eighth Mother’s Day as a pastor. Every Mother’s Day that I have been a pastor, Melissa has helped me to get carnations or flowers. We put them in baskets each year and ask the children to hand them out after the children’s message on the Sunday of Mother’s Day. I was sad that we did not get these flowers, and that we cannot give them out.
          We of course cannot be together in person this morning, and for those who’s mothers have passed on glory, you cannot be with your mother or mother figure in person this morning either. Missing your mom or mothering figure on this Mother’s Day is heightened therefore, because we cannot be together in church at all.
          Even though we cannot be in church in person this morning, I would challenge us all to remember our mothers and the mother figures in our lives. Look through those old photos, and if your mother is alive, give her a call. We can still show love and remembrance for mothers and mother figures, even during a quarantine.
          While many of our mothers and mother figures taught us the way, the truth, and the life, in this world, Jesus is the ultimate truth. Jesus was God in the flesh on this earth, and he came to set us free. Even in a Global Pandemic we can have peace and spiritual freedom through Jesus Christ.
          Let us look at our gospel of John reading from 14:1-4 again for this morning. Once again it says:
“Do not let your hearts be troubled. Believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, so that where I am, there you may be also. And you know the way to the place where I am going” (Jn. 14:1-4, NRSV).
          Jesus tells us that he will prepare a place for us in eternity with him. I read these words at many funerals that I officiate, as Jesus reminds us the future of the faithful in him. We are reminded that when someone we love dies in Christ, then they are with Christ for eternity. This is a comfort to us, as we will see Christ again in glory. We also be reunited with that person that we have lost in glory.
          For many of us to, around Jesus preparing a place for us in glory, we can also say that many of us could always go mom’s house, or grandma’s house, or that mothering figure’s house in our lives. We could go there no matter what, and we were loved as if we never left. So many mothers, grandmothers, and mothering figures prepare a place for us. It is so nice to go home, and Jesus is telling us that we have a home with him in eternity.
                The Apostle Thomas is confused by Jesus just said, and the gospel then says:
“Thomas said to him, “Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?” Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you know me, you will know my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him”             (Jn. 14:5-7, NRSV).

          The same way that our birth mothers gave us life through God’s power here on earth, and the way that many mothers and mothering figures cared or care for us, taught us, and nurtured us, Jesus is saying that he is the way to new life. This new life is here and now and continues for eternity with him.
          Jesus tells us to turn to him, to repent of our sins to him, and take all our burdens, cares, and worries, and place them in his shoulders. Jesus’ yoke is easy, and his burden is light. Come unto him, lay your burdens down, open your heart to him, and live a life of victory on this earth and eternally.
          Once we know Christ, we are drinking spiritual milk, and like a baby that grows, we then move onto spiritual food. The love of Christ in us that we share, that we live, that we study in scripture, continues through the power of the Holy Spirit, to transform us, and through us, transform the world.
          The Apostle Phillip then questions Jesus’ authority. Jesus respond saying:
“Have I been with you all this time, Philip, and you still do not know me? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own; but the Father who dwells in me does his works. Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; but if you do not, then believe me because of the works themselves. Very truly, I tell you, the one who believes in me will also do the works that I do and, in fact, will do greater works than these, because I am going to the Father. I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If in my name you ask me for anything, I will do it”                 (Jn. 14:9-14, NRSV).

          Our mothers birthed us into life on this earth, through the power of God. We were raised, taught, and nurtured, in part, by mothers and mothering figures. Yet our new spiritual life and eternity comes from Jesus Christ, who is the way, the truth, and the life, and no one fully comes to God the Father except through him.
          Friends, brothers, and sisters, I pray that on this day we might honor, remember, and uphold our mothers and mother figures, as we also draw closer to our Lord and savior Jesus Christ. On this day, lets remember moms and all those special women in our lives, and let us remember all that they have done for us. May we also seek Jesus Christ, who is the way, the truth, and the life. Happy Mother’s Day. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment