Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Sidney UMC - Fourth Sunday after the Epiphany - 02/03/19 - Sermon - “Without love we have nothing"


Sunday 02/03/19 - Sidney UMC

Sermon Title: “Without love we have nothing”

Old Testament Scripture: Psalm 71:1-6
                                            
New Testament Scripture: 1 Corinthians 13:1-13
                                                   
Gospel Lesson: Luke 4:21-30

          Welcome again my friends, my brothers and sisters, on this the Fourth Sunday after the Epiphany. Four Sundays after the three Wisemen or Magi came to see the savior of the world that was born in Bethlehem. They came with gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh, and they left different. They came searching and hoping, and they left changed and filled.
          With this said, today I want to speak to you about one of the core teachings of the Christian faith. This core teaching is love. At the end of our scripture reading from 1 Corinthians 13 from this morning, the Apostle Paul says in 13:13:
And now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; and the greatest of these is love” (1 Cor. 13:13, NRSV).

          So love is a core teaching of our historic two-thousand year Christian faith. It is interesting and sometimes even sad for me to meet people then, who tell me that they believe in God, but have no part in the Christian Church. They have said things to me like, “Well Pastor Paul, I believe in God, but I don’t need to go to church to believe in God”. Has anyone here ever heard anything like this before?
          It is indeed true that you can believe in God and not go to church, but the question I have is, what is so bad about the church? You see, I have found that people that have faith that don’t go to church, aren’t part of the church often for a common set of reasons. These reasons are that they are too busy, that they feel unworthy to be part of the church, or that the churches that they have visited or have been a part of, have been a complete let down. These people love Jesus, but they don’t seem to love the church as much. Part of the reason for this, is that the church in their minds has failed to love them as Jesus does.
          About ten years ago I was going through a challenging time in my life. I was working as a youth caseworker, and I had been avoiding my call to pastoral ministry for about 3-years. During this time, a former District Superintendent and a good friend of mine drove about 3-hours to sit with me for an hour. So six hours in his car, to sit with me for 1-hour. During this time he listened to me, loved me, and affirmed my calling.
          As I was about to complete my second year of Seminary in 2012, wouldn’t you know that I got a call from this person. After discussing the normal “catching up” sorts of things, this former District Superintendent then said he had an opportunity for me. I have found that when a District Superintendent calls you to offer you a pastoral appointment that they often call it an “opportunity”. I immediately said, “Yes!” Yet, this former District Superintendent said, “But Paul I haven’t told you where the appointment is, how big it is, or even how many churches it is”. I then told him, “but after the love, the caring, and what you have done for me, there is nothing that I wouldn’t do for you”. Melissa and I soon found ourselves serving two small church in the Adirondack District of this Upper New York United Methodist Church Conference. I drove about three and a half to four hours every Friday, and came back either on Sundays or Mondays, to be able to serve these churches. I was in school fulltime, serving two churches, and working fulltime. It was a big sacrifice for both Melissa and myself. Yet those church grew and flourished, until I was moved a little over a year later.
          Friends, people come to church, people join and get involved in the church, when it looks like Jesus Christ. Since Jesus is the very essence of love, light, and life, when the church looks like him it grows and it flourishes. Why is this? This is the case because people want to be in church that looks like Jesus Christ. People are excited about going to church and being part of a church, because they feel so loved, so cared for, and so valued. Many churches are shrinking not just because some people don’t have faith anymore, but because sometimes the church fails to be all that Jesus Christ has called it to be.
          I hope that you all know that you are loved, that you are valued, and that we are glad that you are here. I hope that you know we love everyone in Sidney and this world. I hope you all know that you are prayed for and that you are important to us all.
          This morning once again, the Apostle Paul gives us a discourse on the love of Jesus Christ. Let’s look once again at what the Apostle Paul tells us in 1 Corinthians 13:1-13. He says:
“If I speak in the tongues of mortals and of angels, but do not have love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.  And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give away all my possessions, and if I hand over my body so that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing” (1 Cor. 13:1-3, NRSV).

          At the end of this sermon, I am going to show a video that further conveys what I am trying to get across this morning about God’s love.
          In looking at what I just re-read from 1 Corinthians 13:1-3, the Apostle Paul is saying that if he does amazing things, but does not have love then he gains nothing. A few times since I have been serving here at Sidney UMC people have said, “Wow Pastor Paul the church is really growing because of you”. Yet the church is not growing because of me, it’s growing because the love, the power, and the joy of God is flowing powerfully through us and the church. Further, without God, with love, I have nothing. Anything that I do or say as your pastor means nothing if I don’t have love. If I were just showing up, if I were just going through the motions of being a pastor, but didn’t have love, sure I have done a job. Yet, the Apostle Paul says, I have gained nothing.
          Friends, brothers and sisters, love, hope, joy, and the Holy Spirit is and will continue to grow this church. It is growing, I believe because people are finding a church that is trying to look more and more like Jesus Christ. Instead of a church where people don’t go to church, “because you don’t have to go to church to believe in God,” I believe that people are coming to this church, because this church is looking more and more like God, like Jesus Christ.
          As the Apostle Paul moves on in the scripture for this morning, he begins to explain just what love looks like. He continues on saying:
Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things” (1 Cor. 13:4-7, NRSV).

These versus are often read at weddings, as an example of how to treat your wife or to treat your husband. I am sure that all of us husbands here can say that we have these verses on love mastered! I know that Melissa would tell you that I do! Or maybe not really!
The Apostle Paul ends this reading for this morning by telling us once again:
Love never ends. But as for prophecies, they will come to an end; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will come to an end. For we know only in part, and we prophesy only in part; but when the complete comes, the partial will come to an end. When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; when I became an adult, I put an end to childish ways. For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then we will see face to face. Now I know only in part; then I will know fully, even as I have been fully known. And now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; and the greatest of these is love” (1 Cor. 13:8-13, NRSV).

God’s love never ends. The love of Christ never ever ends, as we live on in eternity with Him forever. The Apostle Paul tells us that prophecies will come to an end, as many have already come true in Jesus Christ. Ultimately all the prophecies of old will come to be reality through Jesus Christ. The Apostle Paul tells us that he doesn’t have a childish understanding of this, but that he is seeing this as grown and a mature man. He then tell us that faith, hope, and love are important, but of them, love is the greatest of all.
Last week in our gospel of Luke reading, Jesus is worshipping in the Jewish Synagogue in Galilee (Lk. 4:14-21, NRSV). I saw the ruins of this Jewish Synagogue when I was in Israel 5-years ago. In this service of worship that Jesus is in, Jesus is given and reads from the Book of Isaiah, or the Isaiah scroll, as most Jews put their books of scriptures on scrolls. Jesus reads a prophecy from the great Old Testament prophet Isaiah about the coming of the Messiah, the savior. He then says that this prophecy has come true in him.
The gospel lesson last week once again ended like this, but today we hear what happened next. Jesus tells them that the prophecy or the scripture from Isaiah has come true, and many were amazed by this (Lk. 4:21-22, NRSV). The people though began to question Jesus, as he came from a lower class family, where his father Joseph was a carpenter (Lk. 4:22, NRSV). “How could this be the Messiah?” they might have asked.
Jesus then tells them that no prophet is welcomed in his home town, and provides some other biblical examples (Lk. 4:23-27, NRSV). In Jesus elaborating upon the fact that he was and is the Messiah, God in the flesh, the folks in the Synagogue grew angry with him (Lk. 4:28, NRSV). Not only this, they then tried to throw Jesus off a cliff, but Jesus was able to pass through them and escape (Lk. 4:29-30, NRSV).
Now as some of you are listening to how our gospel reading ends for this morning, you might be thinking, “Yeah I have been to a couple churches like that before!” You know at first that they love you, but then towards the end they try to throw you off a cliff!
Friends, one the reasons that many of our churches are shrinking is because some people believe that Jesus and the church should look similar. When the church fails to look like Jesus, this is when the church begins to decline and die.
I would like to close this message this morning with another story. When I was in college the first time at SUNY Potsdam, where Melissa and I met, I visited a church one weekend. I was visiting a friend, and I wanted to go to church. I can’t even remember if it was a Methodist Church or not though.
So this is what happened. I pulled into the church parking lot, and I parked, as it was the fall. I saw a few people on their way in, but no one said hello. I wandered into the church a little nervous, as I knew no one there. I certainly didn’t know where I was going, as there were no greeters. I didn’t know where to find a bulletin. So I just followed the few other people and I ended up in the church sanctuary. Luckily I saw a table with bulletins, so I grabbed one quickly and sat down. I sat in the back half of the church sanctuary, as I knew no one.
As I sat down, one woman turned half-way around in her pew and gave me a sort of scolding look. The pastor sat in the Celebrant’s Chair behind the pulpit, as it was about 15-minutes before the service. One person walked by and said, “hello” as they made their way to their seats.
The church service started, and I followed the order of service, as a good Methodist does. To be honest though, I just felt through the whole church service like I was intruding, and that I shouldn’t have been there at all. If I remember correctly, the sermon was ok, and at the end of the church service, the pastor invited everyone for coffee hour.
Well this was not a friendly church, but you know what, I’m getting my coffee! So I get a cup of coffee, and then I sit at a table all by myself. The pastor walked by at one point and just said “hello,” but that was it. After finishing my coffee, I then put my cup in the plastic bin that they had, and headed out. Now I waited until I rounded the corner in my Pontiac Sunbird, and then I shouted at my steering wheel, “I am never going to that church again!” Not to mention that the people in car next to me were looking at me strangely, as I was shouting into my Pontiac Sunbird steering wheel!
If I had not been a practicing Christian, and if that was my first time in a church, then I would have been devastated. If this was my first time being exposed to the Christian faith, well I would go home and not come back. If someone asked me why I didn’t go to church, I would likely say to them, “You don’t have to go to church to believe in God”.
For this and many other reasons brothers and sisters we must continue to strive to love, to show love, and to be love with each other. For if we do amazing things and we don’t have love, well then we have nothing. Amen.
         

No comments:

Post a Comment