Thursday, August 9, 2018

Sidney UMC - Twelfth Sunday after Pentecost - 08/12/18 - Sermon - “Broken for you" ("I am the bread of life" Series) - (Part 2 of 4)


Sunday 08/12/18 - Sidney UMC

Sermon Title:               “Broken for you”
                     (“I am the bread of life” Series – Part 2 of 4)

Old Testament Scripture: Psalm 130
                                            
New Testament Scripture: Ephesians 4:25-5:2
                                                   
Gospel Lesson: John 6:35, 41-51

          Welcome again my friends, my brothers and sisters in Christ, on this our Twelfth-Sunday after Pentecost. Twelve Sundays after the Holy Spirit moved on the day of Pentecost, and the Christian Church was born nearly two-thousand years ago.
          For those that were not here last Sunday, I began a sermon series last week called the “I am the bread of life” series. As I mentioned last Sunday, our gospel of John readings for the entire month of August are ones where Jesus talks about himself as “the bread of life,” or “the living bread that came down from heaven” (Jn. 6:35, 51, NRSV). Due to this, I decided to start sermon series last Sunday focusing on Jesus being “the bread of life”.
Specifically, what did Jesus mean when he said this, and how are we to understand this in the gospel of John? For example, do we believe that Jesus Christ even said this in the first place? Do we believe that the gospels are an accurate account of the life, teachings, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ? I do. So if Jesus did in fact say that he is “the bread of life,” which I think that he did, then what do we do with that (Jn. 6:35, NRSV).
          As I explained last Sunday, when God spoke to Moses through the burning bush in the Old Testament or Torah, in the Book of Exodus, and when Moses asked God his name in this narrative, God said to Moses in Exodus 3:14:
“I am who I am.” (Ex. 3:14, NRSV).

          Jesus then using the same words that God used to address Moses, says:
 “I am the bread of life” (Jn. 6:35, NRSV).

Along with the other “I Am” statements in the Gospel of John, Jesus is very clearly showing us that he was the fullness of God and man on earth. That Jesus was and is the living God who walked on the earth, who loved, healed, forgave, died an atoning death upon a Roman Cross for the sins of the world, and was then physically resurrected three days later. The same Jesus whom scripture says will return one day in glory to judge the living and the dead.
So if we attribute that sort of power and authority to Jesus Christ, which I do, then what is Jesus saying in the gospel of John when he says:
“I am the bread of life” (Jn. 6:35, NRSV).
To read it in a straight forward way, Jesus is saying that he is the pathway, the road, the narrow gate that leads to God, to forgiveness, and to eternal life. For Jesus said that he is the spiritual bread that will feed and nourish our very hearts and our souls. I don’t believe therefore, that a mere man, someone who was just a teacher or just a prophet would able to accomplish this, unless he was and is indeed the second person of the Holy Trinity, the living God in the flesh. I don’t believe that a mere man or a prophet could die for the sins of the world, as only one who was sinless could do this. The only one who is without sin, is God, and again Jesus said in the gospel of John 14:9:
“Whoever has seen me has seen the Father” (Jn. 14:9, NRSV).
          Last Sunday, I talked about how Jesus is “The Eternal Bread” that nourishes our hearts and souls. Jesus had just feed the five-thousand, but he also wanted to fill their hearts and souls with the spiritual bread that comes from him. Instead of just seeking the meal, Jesus said I am offering you more than just physical food.
          This morning then, my sermon is called “Broken for you”. In 1 Corinthians 11:23-26, the Apostle Paul writes:
For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took a loaf of bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, “This is my body that is for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” In the same way he took the cup also, after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.” For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes”
(1 Cor. 11:23-26).

          What’s always been interesting to me, is that Jesus compares himself in the gospel of John to being bread.
          One of the most basic foods in the culture that Jesus lived in was bread. Jesus was saying that he is like that basic food. He is saying that he is foundational nourishment that we need, but this nourishment is for the heart and the soul, not the body.
Why then, at that Last Supper, in the Upper Room in Jerusalem, would Jesus use bread and wine to symbolize himself? It is pretty obvious that the disciples didn’t even fully understand who Jesus was yet at this point. Yet Jesus, who proclaimed that we was “the bread of life, is now breaking bread to symbolize his body and his life (Jn. 6:35, NRSV).
I would think that the disciples would probably be confused by the Last Supper. You see Jesus proclaimed “I am the bread of life, yet at the Last Supper he says, that he “the bread of life” will be “broken for you” (Jn. 6:35, NRSV). Jesus is saying that wine, or grape juice will be his blood spilled for you. This is powerful imagery. I would guess, as I said that the disciples were confused when Jesus was basically saying I will be “broken for you”.
The interesting thing about eating most food is that the food must be torn apart or broken up in order to be best eat. I mean for example, imagine that you had friends over for dinner and that you served them bread with dinner. Many people do this. You might serve hot rolls, sliced bread, and etc. Imagine though that you had friends over for dinner, and that you had one loaf of bread on your table. One of your guests then asks you if they can have some bread. Instead of slicing the bread though, you pick up the entire loaf, look at your friend and say this “this is my body broken for you”. Then you tear the loaf of bread in half. Can you imagine outside of taking communion, how weird that would seem? You would basically be telling your guest that there dinner bread was your body being broken.
The point here is, is that Jesus not only proclaims that he is “the bread of life, that fills our hearts and souls, but he also shows how like eating bread he will be broken for us (Jn. 6:35, NRSV). So Jesus fills us spiritually, but like bread his body was torn apart for us. His blood, like cup or wine or juice, was shed for us.
In the gospel of Matthew 6:9-13, Jesus is teaching the disciples what we now know as the “Lord’s Prayer”. In Matthew 6:11 Jesus says:
“Give us this day our daily bread” (Mt. 6:11, NRSV).
Jesus is “the bread of life” (Jn. 6:35, NRSV). How many people here have ever for example invited someone to “break bread” with you? Essentially inviting them to eat with you. Jesus is “the bread of life” (Jn. 6:35, NRSV). When we receive communion or the Lord’s Supper then, we are physically nourished by the bread and the cup, but Christ also spiritually nourishes our hearts and our souls at the same time.
I also said last Sunday, some people go to bed at night with full bellies, full homes, full basements, full bank accounts, and yet some of these folks have empty hearts and souls. What happens if you have everything that you have wanted, yet you go to bed at night feeling spiritually empty? Inviting Jesus Christ into your heart and your life, will transform you. He can give you a new heart, fill your soul, and transform you from the inside out. For he is “the bread of life” (Jn. 6:35, NRSV).
In looking more closely at our gospel of John reading for this morning, let’s look again at what it says. This gospel reading begins with John 6:35, where it ended last week. Again it says:
“Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty”
(Jn. 6:35, NRSV).

          Do we believe that if we go to bed tonight with empty hearts and souls that Jesus Christ can fill then?
          The gospel again then says from this morning:
“Then the Jews began to complain about him because he said, “I am the bread that came down from heaven.” They were saying, “Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? How can he now say, ‘I have come down from heaven’?” Jesus answered them, “Do not complain among yourselves. No one can come to me unless drawn by the Father who sent me; and I will raise that person up on the last day. It is written in the prophets, ‘And they shall all be taught by God.’ Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to me. Not that anyone has seen the Father except the one who is from God; he has seen the Father. Very truly, I tell you, whoever believes has eternal life. I am the bread of life. Your ancestors ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died. This is the bread that comes down from heaven, so that one may eat of it and not die. I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats of this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh” (Jn. 6:41-51, NRSV).

          So what Jesus does so well in this scripture, is that connects the ideas that he is the bread of life for our hearts and our souls, and then in the last verse he says once again:
“Whoever eats of this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.” (Jn. 6:51b, NRSV).

          So my question my friends, my sisters and brothers in Christ is this, do you know personally, the “Eternal Bread,” the one who was “Broken for you,” the one named Jesus Christ? I do.        
          I want to share a story for you about knowing Jesus, knowing “The bread of life”. This story is called “An Empty Chair,” by author unknown. Here is how it goes:
“A man’s daughter had asked the local pastor to come and pray with her father. When the pastor arrived, he found the man lying in bed with his head propped up on two pillows and an empty chair beside his bed. The pastor assumed that the old fellow had been informed of his visit. “I guess you were expecting me,” he said. “No, who are you?” “I’m the new associate at your local church,” the pastor replied. “When I saw the empty chair, I figured you knew I was going to show up.” “Oh yeah, the chair,” said the bedridden man. “Would you mind closing the door?” Puzzled, the pastor shut the door.
“I’ve never told anyone this, not even my daughter,” said the man. “But all of my life I have never known how to pray. At church I used to hear the pastor talk about prayer, but it always went right over my head.”
“I abandoned any attempt at prayer,” the old man continued, “until one day about four years ago my best friend said to me, ‘Joe, prayer is just a simple matter of having a conversation with Jesus. Here’s what I suggest. Sit down on a chair, place an empty chair in front of you, and in faith see Jesus on the chair. It’s not spooky because he promised, ‘I’ll be with you always.’ Then just speak to him and listen in the same way you’re doing with me right now.”
“So, I tried it and I’ve liked it so much that I do it a couple of hours every day. I’m careful, though. If my daughter saw me talking to an empty chair, she’d either have a nervous breakdown or send me off to the funny farm.”
“The pastor was deeply moved by the story and encouraged the old guy to continue on the journey. Then he prayed with him, and returned to the church. Two nights later the daughter called to tell the pastor that her daddy had died that afternoon. “Did he seem to die in peace?” he asked”. “Yes, when I left the house around two o’clock, he called me over to his bedside, told me one of his corny jokes, and kissed me on the cheek. When I got back from the store an hour later, I found him dead. But there was something strange. In fact, beyond strange-kinda weird. Apparently, just before Daddy died, he leaned over and rested his head on a chair beside the bed” (http://storiesforpreaching.com/category/sermonillustrations/relationship-with-christ/).

          My friends, Jesus Christ is “the bread of life,” the “eternal bread,” that was “broken for you”. Continue to invite him into your hearts and share him with a world that needs it now more than ever. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment