Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Freeville/Homer Avenue UMC's - Fourth Sunday of Easter - 05/07/17 Sermon - “I Am the gate for the sheep"

Sunday 05/07/17 Freeville/Homer Avenue UMC’s

Sermon Title: “I Am the gate for the sheep”

Old Testament Scripture: Psalm 23
                                            
New Testament Scripture: 1 Peter 2:19-25

Gospel Lesson: John 10:1-10

Welcome again my friends, my sisters and brothers in Christ, on this our Fourth Sunday after Easter. This season of resurrection, of new life, and of hope. This season that reaffirms our faith and trust in the risen Christ. We will remain in this Season of Easter, until Pentecost Sunday, on Sunday June 4th.
On the past two Sundays, we have been given gospels readings that provide us with two examples of Jesus Christ’s “post-mortem,” or “post-resurrection appearances”. First, we had one of the “Doubting Thomas” narratives, where the risen Christ appeared to Thomas, and then assured him that we was indeed the risen Lord.
Last week, Jesus appeared to, walked with, and talked with Cleopas and another disciple on the road to Emmaus. In this narrative, Jesus walked and talked with Cleopas and other disciple, and then revealed himself to them at the end of the narrative.
While we have had two examples in the last two weeks of Jesus’ “post-mortem,” or “post-resurrection” appearances, this morning we have Jesus teaching us in the gospel of John. Specifically, this morning we get into the category of what are commonly called Jesus’ “I Am” statements. Jesus’ “I Am” statements are found in the gospel of John, and in these statements, Jesus Christ makes strong claims about who he is.
Since Jesus Christ was born, since he walked this earth, since he taught, since he loved, since he healed, and since he forgave, there have always been some who have continued to debate over who he was and is. Yet, the “I Am” statements that Jesus Christ made are quite compelling.
So what are the “I Am” statements anyway? Well first off, they are only found, as I said, in the gospel of John, and depending on your list, there are seven or more of these statements.
So what are Jesus’s “I Am” statements in the gospel of John? Here are a list of eight that I have:
1. John 6:35: “Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty” (Jn. 6:35, NRSV).
2. John 8:12: “Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but will have the light of life.” (Jn. 8:12, NRSV)
3. John 8:58: Jesus said to them, “Very truly, I tell you, before Abraham was, I am” (Jn. 8:58, NRSV).
4. John 10:9, from this morning: “I am the gate. Whoever enters by me will be saved, and will come in and go out and find pasture” (Jn. 10:9, NRSV).
5. John 10:11: “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep” (Jn. 10:11, NRSV).
6. John 11:25: Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Those who believe in me, even though they die, will live,” (Jn. 10:11, NRSV).
7. John 14:6, for next Sunday: Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (Jn. 14:6, NRSV).
8. John 15:1: “I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinegrower” (Jn. 15:1, NRSV).
          In hearing this list of “I Am” statements from Jesus Christ in the gospel John, it is very clear that Jesus is making strong claims about who he is. Jesus is saying that he is truly the Messiah, the chosen one, God in the flesh, the savior of the world, and our Lord and redeemer.
          It isn’t my intention this morning though to “unpack” all of these “I Am” statements from Jesus Christ.  From my list of eight statements this morning, I am going to touch on number four and five. Once again, four and five are:
4. John 10:9: “I am the gate. Whoever enters by me will be saved, and will come in and go out and find pasture” (Jn. 10:9, NRSV).
5. John 10:11: “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep” (Jn. 10:11, NRSV).
          Next week on Mother’s Day, the gospel of John reading will touch on the seventh “I Am” statement from this list, which is John 14:6. John 14:6 once again says:
7. John 14:6: Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (Jn. 14:6, NRSV).
          What we are given this Sunday is powerful imagery of God, of Jesus being a shepherd. In the time period in which Jesus lived in, and even in some places today, there are shepherds that raise and guide flocks of sheep. It is the job of a shepherd to guide, feed, protect, and love their sheep. The shepherd is usually with the sheep at all times, and it is their duty, their job to serve and love their sheep.
          As a pastor, I serve in “pastoral ministry,” and the word pastoral is generally connected to pasture land on a farm. A pasture is where animals graze, and it is protected today by the farmer. In Jesus’ day however, and sometimes even to this day, the shepherd, or the “pastor” shepherds the sheep on the pasture land.
          In being in “pastoral ministry” then, I am called to be a shepherd or a pastor for God’s people here and all over. Our pasture land then, is the whole word.
          This imagery is important, as this morning we heard one of, if not the most famous of all the Psalms. This Psalm, Psalm 23, is read as just about every funeral. Some of us can quote this Psalm with our eyes closed.
          In this Psalm we hear how God is our “shepherd,” and how makes us to “lie down in green pastures” (Ps. 23:1-2, NRSV). We hear how God “restores my soul,” and how “he leads me in right paths for his name’s sake” (Ps. 23:1-3, NRSV).
We then hear how God, our great shepherd, will be with us in the darkest valleys, and this shepherd God, has a rod and staff (Ps. 23:4, NRSV). Real shepherds used and use rods and staffs to corral and keep the sheep where they needed to be going.
          The rest of the Psalm then gets into the promises of God to be with us, and that we will be with him forever, if we believe (Ps. 23:5-6, NRSV).
          In the reading from 1 Peter for this morning, it discusses how Christ suffered for us, so if we suffer injustices for Christ, then God will honor and be with us in our sufferings (1 Pet. 2:19-21, NRSV). While Christ suffered and died for us, sometimes we are called to suffer for being follower of Christ, the great “I Am”.
          This reading from 1 Peter 2:19-25 ends with, “For you were going astray like sheep, but now you have returned to the shepherd and guardian of your souls” (1 Pet. 2:25, NRSV). So God is our Shepherd, Jesus the second person of God is our Shepherd, and the Holy Spirit, the third person of God, is also our Shepherd. God is our Shepherd.
          Since the historical Jewish and Christian view of humanity is that we are broken and sinful by nature, we must be reconciled to our brokenness. When God came to earth in the form of Jesus Christ, we were offered hope, reconciliation, and newness of life.
          Jesus even went as far in the gospel of John to specifically give us various “I Am” statements about who was and is, and why he came.
          In this morning’s gospel reading from John 10:10, we have the continued theme of God, of Jesus, being our shepherd, leader, savior, and guide.
          As Jesus was speaking with the Pharisees in the reading he said, “Very truly, I tell you, anyone who does enter the sheepfold by the gate climbs in by another way is a thief and a bandit” (Jn. 10:1, NRSV). What Jesus is doing here is not only bearing the title shepherd, like God did in Psalm 23, or as Peter referred to this morning, but Jesus is also saying that he is the way for us to follow. Since he is our shepherd, we must follow him to safely live and to live in eternity.
          Not only this, a good shepherd is willing to die to protect his sheep. The gospel lesson this morning gets cut off after John 10:10, as it says one of his “I Am” statements in John 10:11. This statement “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep” (Jn. 10:11, NRSV).
          This morning however, Jesus uses this analogy or this imagery of entering a “sheepfold,” with whom he is claiming himself to be (Jn. 10:1, NRSV). Jesus is saying that he is the gate, the entrance to the “sheepfold’ (Jn. 10:1, NRSV). Jesus then tells us that “The one who enters by the gate is the shepherd of the sheep. The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep hear his voice. He call his own sheep by name and leads them out” (Jn. 10:2-3, NRSV).
          Jesus then tells us that as the sheep, we should follow him and his voice, and not that of strangers (Jn. 10:4-6, NRSV). Next Jesus gives us another “I Am” statement that is connect with the “I Am” statement of Jesus telling us that he is the “good shepherd” (Jn. 10:11, NRSV). Jesus said, “Very truly, I tell you, I am the gate for the sheep. All who came before me are thieves and bandits; but the sheep did not listen to them. I am they gate” (Jn. 10:7-9a, NRSV).
          Jesus then says, “Whoever enters by me will be saved, and will come in and go out and find pasture” (Jn. 10:9b, NRSV). Jesus then ends this gospel reading with, “I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly” (Jn. 10:10, NRSV).
          Jesus then, in this and in all of his “I Am” statements is telling us about his authority, about his Lordship, and the salvation offered only through him. That being reconciled and forgiven occurs through Jesus, who this day said, “I am the gate for the sheep” (Jn. 10:7b, NRSV).
          Certainly Jesus Christ’s “I Am” statements are powerful and make high claims. Yet if Jesus Christ truly came to die for us, and to transform us, imagine what would happen if we truly did follow Jesus like follow a shepherd? Imagine if we had childlike faith that follow and sought after Christ, believing in his power and his love.
          As a person in pastoral ministry, I am far from Jesus, but I call upon him, so that I might be a shepherd in his name. That in and through him, I might lead people, so that those people might seek the “good shepherd” and live. In doing this, we are changed, the community is changed, and the world is changed. This is all done in name of the great “I Am,” Jesus Christ. Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment