Friday, September 11, 2015

Freeville/Homer Avenue UMC's - Sixteenth Sunday after Pentecost - 09/13/15 Sermon - “Wisdom shouts in the street" The "Wisdom" series, Part 2 of 2”

Sunday 09/13/15 Freeville/Homer Ave UMC’s

Sermon Title: “Wisdom shouts in the street”
(The “Wisdom” series: Part 2 of 2)                     
                                 
Old Testament Lesson: Proverbs 1:20-33
                                            
New Testament Scripture: James 3:1-12

Gospel Lesson: Mark 8:27-38

          My friends, my sisters and brothers, welcome once again on this the Sixteenth Sunday after Pentecost. On the day of Pentecost nearly two-thousand years ago, the disciples were sitting in that upper room, when suddenly, the Holy Spirit moved like a mighty wind, like a mighty fire. On this day, the disciples and the early Christians finally had the courage to go forth preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ, and transforming the world. On this day, the Christian Church was officially born.
          This morning however, I am doing the second part of my preaching series, called the “Wisdom” series. Specifically, last week I preached out of the Book of Proverbs, which I will also be preaching out of this morning. The Book of Proverbs has long been known as a book of “Wisdom.” The word “Proverb” itself, means “a short wise saying,” or a “comparison” (Africa Bible Commentary).
I would encourage us all to take a few moments today or this week, to open up the Book of Proverbs. So that we may read of the great human and Godly wisdom that it contains. Since the Book of Proverbs is a book of “Wisdom” then, I have called this preaching series the “Wisdom” series.
          In the first week of this two part preaching series, I last week, isolated a part of the verse from Proverbs 21:1, which says “A good reputation is better than much wealth” (Prov. 22:1a, CEB). The reality then, is that as a church, our welcoming nature, our love, and our reputation, are worth far more than the wealth that the church has. For I have seen in my short life, fully attended churches, that are doing great work in the community and the world, with very little money. I have also seen massive churches, with massive endowments, and massive assets, yet with congregations that are dwindling down to nothing.
          Now I personally am a fan of a full church that is doing great work in the community and the world, which also has a massive endowment and massive assets. The overarching point from last Sunday though, is that who we are, how we live, how treat each other, and how represent Jesus Christ, makes up a great part of what our reputations are as individuals, as a church, and in general. While we seem to have a world that is run in many places by greed and corruption, money cannot always buy a reputation. We must strive to live the reality that “A good reputation is better than much wealth” (Prov. 22:1a, CEB). 
          Well I don’t know about you, but when I read the Book of Proverbs, I certainly read a book of great “Wisdom,” but when I read it, I also read where I am lacking to. For to me, the Book of Proverbs is a book of great “Wisdom,” but it is also sometimes a book of great conviction for me. As sometimes I read the Book of Proverbs and say to myself, “Yep, I need to work on that one. Oh, there is another one! I need to work on that one to.”
          I think though, that we should try to read the Book or Proverbs with hope and encouragement, not shame and guilt. I don’t believe that we serve a God of shame and guilt, but rather that we serve a God of love and forgiveness. A God who desperately wants to know us. Who desperately wants to be in relationship with us. A God who pursues us, and a God who never lets us go. It would seem that sometimes in fact, that God’s truths are all around us. That even in the streets themselves, we can find where God is present.
          With this said, the second and last part of this two part preaching series on the Book of Proverbs, is called “Wisdom shouts in the street” (Prov. 1:20a, CEB). This scripture is taken from the first part of verse 1, from the reading from Proverbs 1, from this morning. Now as we are thinking about the title of this sermon, “Wisdom shouts in the street,” let’s first talk about what this scripture is not (Prov. 1:20a, CEB).
          For example, for those of you who work in Ithaca, and have been present for the glory and the wonder that is “Slope Day,” you might know what I mean here. “Slope Day” is a longtime college tradition, and during it, you might have very well heard some shouting in the street. I would argue though, that the shouting that you heard in the street, was likely not wisdom. In fact, based upon how much fermented hops was in the individual or individuals that were shouting in the street, you might have something that was quite contrary to wisdom.
          Now, for those who live in Cortland, and have experienced the glory and wonder of “Cortaca Jug,” you may have also heard shouting in the street. Was it “Wisdom” you heard though? Or were the mumbled words heard by you, representative of drinking too much Budweiser? Further, when SUNY Cortland wins a football game against Ithaca College, I could never figure out why the reaction of some, not all, is to trash the streets of Cortland? I mean, didn’t they win the game? “Wisdom shouts in the street” (Prov. 1:20a, CEB).
          I can also say that majority of NFL or sports tailgate parties that I have ever attended or have seen, have not fulfilled the meaning of the Book of Proverbs verse “Wisdom shouts in the street,” from this morning(Prov. 1:20a, CEB).
          The author of the Book of Proverbs itself, which could have been in part, King David’s son Solomon, is attempting to convey to us human and Godly “Wisdom.” The Book of Proverbs is sometimes also titled “The proverbs of Solomon son of David, king of Israel,” as the book is introduced as such (Africa Bible Commentary). Now King David’s son King Solomon, also rebuilt the great temple in Jerusalem, that we often call King Solomon’s Temple.
          So what does the author or authors mean then, when they wrote “Wisdom shouts in the street” (Prov. 1:20a, CEB)? Well first and foremost, this author is making a short wise statement, or a comparison. You see, historically speaking, people would preach or convey ideas of wisdom in the streets, or on street corners. Maybe this is where we get the phrase, “get off of your soap box,” as people would stand on such things to be better seen and heard when speaking.
          Well, the portion of the verse from Proverbs 1:20a that I chose as a sermon title for this morning, ends with these words, “in the public square she raises her voice” (Prov. 1:20b, CEB). It would seem then, that the author of at least this portion of the Book of Proverbs, identifies a wise person, as being a woman. I can’t say that I am shocked about this. Also, “public squares” have long been places of preaching, speaking, and sharing ideas and “Wisdom” (Prov. 1:20b, CEB).
          The Book of Proverbs continues to say, “Above the noisy crowd, she calls out. At the entrances of the city gates, she has her say: How long will you clueless people love your naiveté, mockers hold their mocking dear, and fools hate knowledge?” (Prov. 1:21-22, CEB). The author is saying, God has sent messengers, with “Wisdom,” and knowledge. Why do you ignore them, the author says? Why do you not listen, the author says?
          The scripture then continues on to say, “You should respond when I correct you. I’ll reveal my words to you. I invited you, but you rejected me; I stretched out my hand to you, but you paid no attention” (Prov. 1:23-24, CEB). God says, I am right here, calling to you. “I stretched out my hand to you” (Prov. 1:24b, CEB).
          The scripture then says, “You ignored all my advice, and you didn’t want me to correct you. So I’ll laugh at your disaster; I’ll make fun of you when dread comes over you, when terror hits you like a hurricane, and your disaster comes in like a tornado, when distress and oppression overcome you” (Prov. 1:25-27, CEB).  
          It would seem then, that “Wisdom” has a limit to her patience. Now this particular wisdom is often seen as the voice of wise people, in this case a woman. It is very probable that God is working through these particular wise persons. Yet as humans, we all have our limitations don’t we? We all have limits to how far we can be pushed. The woman here who represents “Wisdom” is no different.
          The scripture then says, “Then they will call me, but I won’t answer; they will seek me, but won’t find me because they hated knowledge and didn’t choose the fear of the LORD” (Prov. 1:28-29, CEB). In this way then, do we need to wake up to the “Wisdom” of God, and to the people that God has put in our path? If we die without knowing God, is it then too late for us? I personally would say yes it is.
          The scripture then says, “They didn’t want my advice; they rejected all my corrections. They will eat from the fruit of their way, and they’ll be full of their own schemes.” (Prov. 1:30-31, CEB). Do we continue to ignore and run from God?
          The scripture then ends by saying, “The immature will die because they turn away; smugness will destroy fools. Those who obey me will dwell securely, untroubled by the dread of harm” (Prov. 1:32-33, CEB).
          Now some of us might find the final verses of this reading from the Book of Proverbs from this morning, to be harsh, or very hard to comprehend. Yet haven’t we our whole lives been given advice and wisdom from our parents and others? How many of us when we were young didn’t take that advice, because we thought that we knew better? How many of us also paid a dear price for not heading the advice of the wise people in our lives? How many of us can honestly say that our lives have been much better after knowing God, and after having faith in Jesus Christ?
          So, how does all of this connect to Jesus Christ then? Well this morning in the Gospel of Mark reading, we have that famous scene where Jesus Christ is asking his disciples individually, “who do people say I am?” (Mark 8:27c, CEB). The responses are this, “They told him, “Some say John the Baptist, others Elijah, and still others one of the prophets” (Mark 8:28, CEB).
          The Jesus asked, “And what about you? Who do you say that I am? Peter answered, “You are the Christ” (Mark 8:29, CEB). Jesus then tells the disciples and the early followers, that he will soon be tortured and crucified (Mark 8:31, CEB). Jesus then said to all present, “All who want to come after me must say not to themselves, take up their cross, and follow me” (Mark 8:34b, CEB).
          Now these words aren’t recorded in any of the gospels, but when I was preparing this morning’s message from the Book of Proverbs reading, I liked to think that Jesus said, “I have spoken to you on the streets. I have spoken to you in the public squares, at the city gates, and in massive crowds. Did you hear me? Or do you ignore me and my message? Do you ignore the truth, the salvation, and the “Wisdom” that I am offering?”
          This morning friends, brothers and sisters, “Wisdom shouts in the street” (Prov. 1:20a, CEB). Do we hear the shouts, or do we just ignore them, and walk on by? Do hear Jesus, and do we trust him and follow him?
          Friends, brothers and sisters, I would like to share a story with you about having a relationship with Jesus Christ. The story is called “An Empty Chair,” and the source of this story is unknown. Here is how the story goes: “A man’s daughter had asked the local pastor to come and pray with her father. When the pastor arrived, he found the man lying in bed with his head propped up on two pillows and an empty chair beside his bed. The priest assumed that the old fellow had been informed of his visit. “I guess you were expecting me,” he said. “No, who are you?” “I’m the new associate at your local church,” the pastor replied. “When I saw the empty chair, I figured you knew I was going to show up.” “Oh yeah, the chair,” said the bedridden man. “Would you mind closing the door?” Puzzled, the pastor shut the door.”
“I’ve never told anyone this, not even my daughter,” said the man. “But all of my life I have never known how to pray. At church I used to hear the pastor talk about prayer, but it always went right over my head.” “I abandoned any attempt at prayer,” the old man continued, “until one day about four years ago my best friend said to me, ‘Joe, prayer is just a simple matter of having a conversation with Jesus. Here’s what I suggest. Sit down on a chair, place an empty chair in front of you, and in faith see Jesus on the chair. It’s not spooky because he promised, ‘I’ll be with you always.’ Then just speak to him and listen in the same way you’re doing with me right now.”
“So, I tried it and I’ve liked it so much that I do it a couple of hours every day. I’m careful, though. If my daughter saw me talking to an empty chair, she’d either have a nervous breakdown or send me off to the funny farm.”
“The pastor was deeply moved by the story and encouraged the old guy to continue on the journey. Then he prayed with him, and returned to the church. Two nights later the daughter called to tell the pastor that her daddy had died that afternoon. “Did he seem to die in peace?” he asked.”
“Yes, when I left the house around two o’clock, he called me over to his bedside, told me one of his corny jokes, and kissed me on the cheek. When I got back from the store an hour later, I found him dead. But there was something strange. In fact, beyond strange-kinda weird. Apparently, just before Daddy died, he leaned over and rested his head on a chair beside the bed.”
Friends, sisters and brothers, “Wisdom shouts in the street” (Prov. 1:20a, CEB). The power of God and his Son Jesus Christ, can transform us all, if we listen, and if we believe. Do we hear the “Wisdom”? Do we hear the call of Jesus Christ? May we all come to Jesus, and live. Amen.  

 

         


No comments:

Post a Comment