Friday, August 14, 2015

Freeville/Homer Avenue UMC's - Twelfth Sunday after Pentecost - 08/16/15 Sermon - “Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life” (“The Bread of the World” series: Part 2 of 3)

Sunday 08/16/15 Freeville/Homer Ave UMC’s

Sermon Title: “Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood
has eternal life”
(“The Bread of the World” series: Part 2 of 3)                      
                                 
Old Testament Lesson: Psalm 111
                                            
New Testament Scripture: Ephesians 5:15-20

Gospel Lesson: John 6:51-58

          Brothers and sisters, friends, welcome once again on this the Twelfth Sunday after Pentecost. Pentecost that day so long ago, when the disciples and the early Christians were moved by the Holy Spirit. In being moved by the Holy Spirit, the disciples and the early Christians went forth preaching the gospel, and changing the world, as we continue to do today. Pentecost then, was the day that the Christian Church was officially born, and this morning, we continue the mission of preaching and living the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
          For those of you that were with us last week, you might remember that we began a sermon series from our church lectionary readings from the Gospel of John. Last week’s lectionary reading from the Gospel of John, this week’s reading, and next week’s reading, all contain statements from Jesus Christ about him being “bread.” These statements are different and varied, although Jesus does repeat some of them.
          In having these three weeks of statements from Jesus Christ, on him being “bread,” I decided to do a three week preaching series entitled “The Bread of the World” series (John 6:51a, CEB).
          In doing this series, the hope is to specifically look at the statements made in the narrative, from the Gospel of John, to then better figure out what Jesus Christ meant with his “bread” statements (John 6:51a, CEB).
          Now in prefacing this series a little bit, I realize that some Christians read the gospels with different lenses. The lens that I am using, is one where I find authoritative truths in the statements of Jesus Christ. As to say, I am viewing the gospels as being written as truthful historical accounts or biographies of what Jesus Christ said and did.
          In viewing the Gospel of John in this case, with this sort of lens, the question then becomes for me, what did Jesus Christ mean with his “bread” statements (John 6:51a, CEB). I mean, was Jesus Christ speaking metaphorically with his claims? Or was Jesus Christ speaking with the fullness of truth, divinity, and humanity? Or was Jesus Christ saying something different still?
          Last week in the Gospel of John 6:35, Jesus Christ said the words, “I am the bread of life” (John 6:35a, CEB). Now in many cultures, one of the main staple foods is bread. Perhaps if we were in some Asian cultures though, we could say that instead of bread, that this staple food would be rice. Maybe a Chinese Christian for example, might think of this scripture as, “I am the rice of world.” Essentially then, Jesus Christ was comparing himself to the daily food that everyone in his culture consumed to have life. In doing this, he was making the statement that all people need him to live. Not to live physically, but to live spiritually. For Jesus Christ, the fullness of God and humanity was and is offering himself as the spiritual food to feed our very hearts and souls.
          Jesus Christ was making the claim therefore, that he was the bridge, and that he was the reconciliation that was needed to fully come to God. For Christ said in John 14:6, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6, NRSV).  
          Now what I am not advocating for though, is using the truths of Jesus Christ to oppress or to disenfranchise any group of people. Rather I am asking did Jesus speak authoritatively with these comments? Some folks in this Post-Modern Era that we live in, might question the validity of certain scriptures, yet the vast majority of early Christians saw Jesus as having the fullness of God’s grace and truth, as I do.
          Certainly then, in the Gospel of John, it can be argued that this reality is adequately conveyed, as it is very clear to me who this gospel writer thought that Jesus Christ was and is.
          As a spring board into the Gospel of John reading for this morning, we have in the reading from Psalm 111:2, this verse, “The works of the LORD are magnificent; they are treasured by all who desire them” (Psalm 111:2, CEB). Certainly, this morning in the Gospel of John then, and throughout all of the Gospels, Jesus says and does things that are nothing short of “magnificent” (Psalm 111:2a, CEB). Are they to be taken literally though, or metaphorically?
          In the Apostle Paul’s Epistle or letter to the Ephesians from this morning, the Apostle Paul says in Ephesians 5:20, “always give thanks to God the Father for everything in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ” (Eph. 5:20, CEB).
          Well who is this Jesus Christ? What do we mean by calling him Lord? This morning, Jesus Christ says in John 6:54, “Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life” (John 6:54, CEB). Brothers and sisters, friends, this is a powerful statement made by Jesus Christ. Let me say this statement again. Jesus Christ says, “Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life” (John 6:54, CEB).
          Now the Gospel of John reading for this morning begins with Jesus saying, “I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats this bread will live forever, and the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh” (John 6:51, CEB). To me, Jesus is saying here, that he came down from heaven, to die for our sins, and for our iniquities. That if we stay connected to him, and if have faith in him, then we “will live forever” (John 6:51b, CEB).  
          Certainly then, this is a pretty powerful statement, as Jesus says believe in me, believe in my Gospel, live it, share, change the world, and in doing so, you “will live forever” (John 6:51b, CEB). 
          As I also mentioned last week, that if the statements that Jesus Christ made were of no significance to the Jewish authorities, then they would not have responded to his statements with such hostility and anger. For as it says in John 6:52, “Then the Jews debated among themselves, asking, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?” (John 6:52, CEB).
          Jesus then said to them, “I assure you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you” (John 6:53, CEB). Jesus then says, which is partially the title of my sermon today, “Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day” (John 6:54, CEB).
          Jesus continues by saying, “My flesh is true food and my blood is true drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in them” (John 6:55-56, CEB).
          To drive his point home even more, Jesus then says, “As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever eats me lives because of me” (John 6:58, CEB).
          This gospel reading then concludes with Jesus Christ saying, “This is the bread that came down from heaven. It isn’t like the bread your ancestors ate, and they died. Whoever eats this bread will live forever” (John 6:58, CEB).
          So for me then, it is pretty clear who Jesus is claiming to be, and whom the Apostle John is claiming Jesus to be.
          In looking at this gospel reading more closely, we have statements from Jesus Christ about the need to eat his flesh and drink his blood, as he says in John 6:55, “My flesh is true food and my blood is true drink” (John 6:55, CEB).
          Well, the general way that we have historically responded to this request from Jesus Christ, has been through Holy Communion, or the Lord’s Supper, or the Eucharist. That the bread and cup that we share at Communion or the Lord’s Supper, is how we partake in the great mystery of drawing closer to Jesus Christ.
          Since Jesus Christ made these statements this morning though, are we to believe that when we partake in the bread and the cup at the church alter every month that we are literally and truly consuming the flesh and blood of Jesus Christ? By the way, the General Conference of the United Methodist Church, feeling that Holy Communion is so spiritually important, has advocated for churches to celebrate Holy Communion every Sunday since 2004. That is a discussion for another time though.
          So Jesus Christ does in fact say this morning in John 6:54, “Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life” (John 6:54, CEB). Now assuming that we believe that Jesus Christ is making the claims of being the savior, the Messiah, the living God, are we then to conclude that we have to eat the literal flesh and drink the literal blood of Jesus Christ?
          An argument against the belief that our bread and juice turn into the literal body and blood of Christ is this, it would mean that on thousands of church alters all over the world, every Sunday morning, that Christ’s body and blood literally show up. That is powerful statement, to say that the literal body and blood of Christ is all over, in various church, and in various places all at once.
          Further in the Book of Acts 1:9-11 we have the story of the Ascension of Jesus Christ into heaven. This what Acts 1:9-11 says, “When he had said this, as they were watching, he was lifted up, and a cloud took him out of their sight. While he was going and they were gazing up toward heaven, suddenly two men in white robes stood by them. They said, “Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking up toward heaven? This Jesus, who has been taken up from you into heaven, will come in the same way as you saw him go into heaven.” (Acts 1:9-11, NRSV).
          Many Christians have historically believed that Christ will return to earth one day, in his second coming, to usher in the fullness of the Kingdom of God. In fact, our Muslim brothers and sisters, who do not believe that Jesus was the Messiah, also believe that Jesus Christ will return one day to usher in the fullness of the Kingdom of God.
          So can Christ’s literal body and blood appear simultaneously, and all over the place? If Christ will not return in the flesh until his second coming, how then can his literal flesh and blood appear on thousands of church alters every Sunday morning? Further, if Holy Communion is really this significant then, should we have it every week, instead of every month?
          The United Methodist view of what Jesus is saying this morning when he says “Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life,” we would interpret symbolically (John 6:54, CEB). By this, many United Methodists believe that bread and the juice are just common elements, which God does something extraordinary with. That God turns mere bread and juice into a holy and spiritual meal at the consecration during Holy Communion or the Lord’s Supper. A meal where Jesus is truly spiritually present, just not physically present. So to many United Methodists, Holy Communion is the body and blood of Christ, but symbolically and spiritually only. That when we receive Holy Communion that God the creator, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit are present amongst us, and in the holy meal that we share together.
          Ultimately though, I consecrate the bread and the juice for Holy Communion every month, like any pastor or priest would. In doing so, I call upon the same God, the same Holy Spirit. In this way, God will do what God will do on this alter when we receive Holy Communion. Yet every Christian Church seems to have its own theological position on the statement that Jesus Christ makes in John 6:54, when he says, “Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life” (John 6:54, CEB). Further, as I said earlier there are different lens of view and understanding these scriptures.
I want to share a story with you about Holy Communion, simply called “A Communion Story,” by author unknown. Here is how it goes: “One of the things I get to do at church is prepare the communion for our Sunday morning services. This has never been a chore for me. It has always felt like a privilege. I have so many memories that surround communion. Usually the church is quiet while I get things ready and it becomes a time a peaceful meditation for me. The scriptures say that we are to remember Jesus as we gather around the communion table. I do think about Jesus, but I also feel surrounded by all the people who have shown me Jesus over the years.”
“In our tradition we pass trays filled with small cups of grape juice along the pews. Each person takes one of the small cups and drinks the juice as we reflect on its meaning.”
“I grew up in a family where church was very much part of our everyday life. One of my earliest memories is standing on a chair in the church kitchen helping my mom put the little glass cups into the trays. As I got a bit older I was allowed to fill a bulb syringe with juice and squirt it into the little cups. My mom made this chore seem like a great privilege that only big girls were allowed to do. I'm a big girl now, Mom. I am allowed to fill the little cups all by myself.”
“Just as funny things happen around the dinner table at home, lots of funny things have happened over the years around the communion table. I think God must have a wonderful sense of humor, and God must laugh with us at our funny mishaps.”
“One week we prepared the trays on Saturday afternoon and put them into the refrigerator until time for services the next morning. Somehow the refrigerator got set to very, very cold. The juice in the little cups froze solid. We did not notice this until the trays were being passed along the pews and people tried to drink. It was the funniest thing I’ve ever seen. It is impossible to drink an ice cube. People tried licking the frozen juice. People tried turning the cups in their hands to thaw them. Some people banged the little cups on the pews or their legs. Everyone got the giggles.”
“Scripture refers to the fruit of vine as part of the communion. This inspired one minister to substitute grapes for the juice. Instead of trays of juice, plates of grapes were passed along the pews. This felt a bit odd, but it became very funny when we realized that these were not seedless grapes. Just what is the polite thing to do with grape seeds in church?”
“One Sunday one of the teen-aged boys helping to serve communion was coming back down the steps from the pulpit area when he tripped. The tray flew out of his hands, spilling juice all over him, the floor and everyone sitting on the front row. There was a great deal of jumping up and scurrying around in an effort to clean up the mess. Poor Chris just sat there and said, “Uh-oh.” For years afterward the people getting ready to serve would pray not to pull a Chris.”
“One of my dear friends would frequently look at me with a sparkle in her eye as we took the cup. We would clink our little cups together and whisper,” Cheers.” For us it was a happy little celebration of being together in God's family. I miss you Julie.”
“Next time you gather around the communion table, remember that you are part of the family of God. Remember Jesus, and remember all the people who have helped you to celebrate the joy of being a Christian.”
          So sisters and brothers, friends, I would encourage us all then, the next time that we read today’s gospel reading in our own Bibles, and the next time that we partake in Holy Communion, to consider what these scriptures mean, and to consider what Jesus meant, when he said, “Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life” (John 6:54, CEB). Amen.



         

          

No comments:

Post a Comment