Saturday, February 7, 2015

Freeville/Homer Avenue UMC's - Fifth Sunday after the Epiphany of the Lord/Boy Scout Sunday - 02/08/15 Sermon - “Jesus the Healer” [The "Natures of Christ" series: Part 2 of 3]


Sunday 02/08/15 Freeville/Homer Ave UMC’s

Sermon Title: “Jesus the Healer”
                        [The “Natures of Christ” series: Part 2 of 3]           

Old Testament Lesson: Psalm 147:1-11, 20c
                                            
New Testament Scripture: 1 Corinthians 9:16-23

Gospel Lesson: Mark 1:29-39                   

          Welcome again my friends, my brothers and sisters, on this the Fifth Sunday after the Epiphany, of when the Wise Men followed that Bethlehem Star in the sky, to the Christ Child. This Sunday is also Boy Scout Sunday in the United Methodist Church, and on this Sunday, the church honors and upholds the work done by our Cub Scouts, and by our Boy Scouts, both past and present.
          Next Sunday we will have Transfiguration Sunday, which is the Sunday that Christ went up a very high mountain and was changed, or transfigured in front of three of his disciples.
          Three days after next Sunday, we will begin the season of Lent on Wednesday February 18th. On this Wednesday, which is Ash Wednesday, we will have a dish to pass dinner at 6:00 pm that night, followed by an Ash Wednesday worship serving at 7:00 pm.
          This morning though, I am continuing my sermon series on the natures, or the characteristics, or the qualities of Jesus Christ. When looking at Jesus Christ, we could find countless natures, or characteristics, or qualities. These could include things such as Jesus as a leader, Jesus as the Messiah, Jesus as an agent of justice, Jesus as a prophet, Jesus as a revolutionary, Jesus as a teacher, Jesus as a healer, and etc., and etc.
          Last week, I talked about Jesus as a teacher, as a “Rabbi.” For while Christ came to earth to be wiped, and to be nailed to a cross, so that we would know what true love is, so that we may be forgiven, the same Jesus, also laid out a road map or a blue print in the gospels about how we are supposed to live and treat one another. Jesus taught us to love God, and to love our neighbor, regardless of who or what our neighbor is. Jesus taught us to feed the poor, to clothe the naked, to regard the aged, to visit those who are imprisoned, and etc., and etc. The gospel of the Risen Christ then at its core, is his death and resurrection of for the redemption of humanity, but our day to day lives here on earth, should resemble what Jesus taught and said in the gospels. For if we truly do our best to live the gospel of Jesus Christ every day, our communities, and the world will be better.
          This morning however, in the second part of this three part series, I want to talk about “Jesus the healer.” You see, while Jesus came to earth to die for us all, while he came to teach us a new way of living and being, he was also, among so many other things, a great healer. You see there are countless stories in the gospels, of Jesus’ miraculous healings.
          To begin this idea of “Jesus the healer,” let me give you just a couple examples of the miraculous healings that I am talking about. In Luke 5:12-13 it says:
Once, when he was in one of the cities, there was a man covered with leprosy. When he saw Jesus, he bowed with his face to the ground and begged him, “Lord, if you choose, you can make me clean.” Then Jesus stretched out his hand, touched him, and said, “I do choose. Be made clean.” Immediately the leprosy left him.”

          A second example of Jesus performing a miraculous healing is found in Mark 10:46-52, which says:
They came to Jericho. As he and his disciples and a large crowd were leaving Jericho, Bartimaeus son of Timaeus, a blind beggar, was sitting by the roadside. When he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to shout out and say, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!” Many sternly ordered him to be quiet, but he cried out even more loudly, “Son of David, have mercy on me!” Jesus stood still and said, “Call him here.” And they called the blind man, saying to him, “Take heart; get up, he is calling you.” So throwing off his cloak, he sprang up and came to Jesus.  Then Jesus said to him, “What do you want me to do for you?” The blind man said to him, “My teacher, let me see again.” Jesus said to him, “Go; your faith has made you well.” Immediately he regained his sight and followed him on the way.”


So, once again, these are just two examples out of many, of Jesus’s miraculous healings. I am sure that we can all think of many more examples in our heads, such as when Jesus healed the 10-lepers, or when Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead, or when Jesus healed the man with the withered hand, or when Jesus drove demons out of people, and etc., and etc.
Clearly then, in the gospels, among many other things, Jesus was a great healer. For he healed many, with all sorts of afflictions, illnesses, and diseases. For some there healing was physical, for some is was emotional, and for some it was spiritual. Yet through Jesus, many were and are still healed.
This morning in our gospel of Mark reading, Jesus heals Simon Peter’s mother-in-law, who is in bed sick, and then after this he heals many others. So, yes Peter was married as the gospel says, and Jesus saves his mother-in-law, who is in bed sick with what seemed to be a terrible flu, fever, or illness.
While I don’t normally plan such things, I want to show a video clip as part of this message. This movie clip is from the movie “The Apostle Peter and the Last Supper.” Here it is:
In our reading from Psalm 147 from this morning, it tells us to “Praise the Lord! Because it is good to sing praise to our God!”
In the reading from this morning, from the Apostle Paul’s first epistle or letter to the Corinthians, Paul tells us to preach the gospel, and to preach the “Good News” of Jesus Christ abundantly.
In our gospel reading from this morning, Jesus and his disciples have just left the Synagogue in Capernaum, and upon doing so, “Jesus, James, and John went home with Simon and Andrew.” The gospel then says, “Simon’s mother-in-law was in bed, sick with a fever, and they told Jesus about her at once.”
At this point, “Jesus the healer,” “went to her, took her by the hand, and raised her up. The fever left her, and she served them.” After this, when the evening came that night, “people brought to Jesus those who were sick or demon-possessed. The whole town gathered near the door. He healed many who were sick with all kinds of diseases, and he threw out many demons.”
The next morning, before the Sun even rose, the gospel says, “Jesus rose and went to a deserted place where he could be alone in prayer.” Then Simon Peter and the rest of disciples “tracked” Jesus down. “When they found him, they told him, “Everyone’s looking for you!”
Jesus replied to Simon Peter and his other followers, “Let’s head in the other direction, to the nearby villages, so that I can preach there too. That’s why I’ve come.”
The gospel reading for this morning then ends speaking of Jesus, and says, “He traveled throughout Galilee, preaching in their synagogues and throwing out demons.” “Jesus the healer,” the one who makes all things new.
Instead of bringing this message to a close this morning with a story that I gleaned from some other source, I want to share part of my own personal story, about my some of my own healing. I don’t know if any of you have ever heard this story or not, but here is part of my story of healing:
I have had nine surgeries in my life. In fact, I was born with something called “Nail–patella syndrome.” According to one source I found, it defines “Nail-patella syndrome” as “a genetic disorder that results in small, poorly developed nails and kneecaps, but can also affect many other areas of the body, such as the elbows, chest, and hips. The name "nail–patella" can be very misleading because the syndrome often affects many other areas of the body, including even the production of certain proteins.”
This syndrome I was told, comes from a specific part of what is today Germany, as part of my ethnic heritage is German. This syndrome as I just stated, can also manifest differently in each person.
For me, I had to get three surgeries as a little baby, on both of my largest toes, in an effort to save my biggest toe nails. You see I had pieces of toe nails growing under my toe nails on my big toes, causing my biggest toes on each foot to start to lose their toe nails. After three surgeries, the toe nails on my biggest toes were just removed by the surgeon. They in effect, killed the root of the toe nail. While that might sound gross, to me, my big toes look fairly normal, but I still do have pieces of toe nail that grow up where the big toe nails should be.
I was also born with what was called an inverted or a concave chest. As such, I will always walk with a little bit of a hunch, unless I try really hard to stand up straight. Since my chest was inverted or concave when I was born, my doctors determined when I was a little boy at the age of 5-years old that if I didn’t get surgery, that one day one of ribs would likely puncture my heart and kill me.
So at 5-years old, my surgeon took one of my spare ribs from rib cage, and made that rib into a new sternum in my chest. For one year, I then had a metal bar in my chest, holding my newly reconstructed rib cage together.
A year later, I got surgery again, to remove this metal bar from my reconstructed rib-cage.
My other surgeries were getting my tonsils and adenoids out, and three oral surgeries, as my “Nail–patella syndrome” caused teeth to grow under the teeth in my mouth, where there were not supposed to grow. Oh, and like many of you, I got my wisdom teeth out to. Which was awful, but I got to eat a lot of ice cream, so that was good. Other than this, I haven’t had and other issues with the “Nail–patella syndrome,” but it is possible that our future children could have it.
My mother Susan always told me that ever since I was little boy, that I wanted to help and serve others. That my surgeon who was worried about the potential fatal risks of my chest surgery, told my mom after the surgery was over, “Susan, your boy is a fighter.” My mom also remembered being in tears as the nurses present when I got my chest surgeries, said, “It is so nice to have a healthy child on this floor,” as the floor had many terminal children.
I was also told that 100-years ago, or even 50-60 years ago, I might have died one day, as this procedure couldn’t have been done yet. So, I speak of healing this morning. So, I speak of the power of the power of the living God this morning. So, I speak of the power of Jesus Christ this morning. Brothers and sisters, my doctors told me I was a walking miracle. So I have decided to live for Christ, so he may use me to change hearts and minds, and through him maybe even perform some miracles in others. Since I have life, and since I have been forgiven by the lord of life, I now serve him, I now serve others, for I have been healed.
I am now in my third year of pastoral ministry, and I know this where God has called me, and I know the healing power of the Risen Christ. For I have been healed, as I likely wouldn’t be here years ago. I am alive, I have breath, God loves me, and God loves you. Jesus came to teach, to heal, and to save us all. Brothers and sisters let the Risen Christ come into your heart today.
Oh and by the way, other than church, a place that I learned great values, discipline, and focus, was in the Boy Scouts of America. Whose Scout Law is written as” “A Scout is ... trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.” So for those scouts, both past and present, hold your heads high, as you are the future of this nation and of this world. God has called you all greatness, and who knows, perhaps the living God has called some of you to be great like healers, following after the Risen One, “Jesus the healer.” Praise be to God, and Amen.





No comments:

Post a Comment