Saturday, January 25, 2014

Freeville/Homer Ave. UMC's - Third Sunday After the Epiphany - 01/26/14 Sermon - “Follow me, and I will make you fish for people”

Sunday 01/26/14 Freeville/Homer Ave UMC’s

Sermon Title:Follow me, and I will make you fish for people

Old Testament Scripture Lesson: Isaiah 9:1-4             
                                            
New Testament Scripture Lesson: 1 Corinthians 1:10-18

Gospel Lesson: Mathew 4:12-23
                            

          Welcome and good morning once again! Welcome on this the Third Sunday after the Epiphany. The Epiphany, this holiday that we celebrate the three-wise men or magi seeing that bright star in the sky. That “Bethlehem Star,” that led them to the manger of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ on that first Christmas so long ago. That place where they gave the Lord of life, Gold, Frankincense, and Myrrh. That place, were all people said, “Come let us adore Him.”
          This Sunday however, we remain in this season of “post-Epiphany,” until we reach Transfiguration Sunday, on Sunday March 2nd. Transfiguration Sunday, celebrate that day that Jesus went up on the mountain and was changed and transfigured before some of his disciples, in what was a living miracle. Then only three days after this Transfiguration Sunday, we will begin the Lenten Season on Ash Wednesday. The season where we prepare our hearts, our minds, and our souls for the death, the burial, and the resurrection of Jesus Christ our Lord.
          Between this Sunday and the Transfiguration Sunday on Sunday March 2nd, we will go through many of the gospel readings of Jesus’ ministry here on earth. We will hear of healings, miracles, and some of the many things that Jesus taught us and continues to teach us all each and every day.
On this Sunday specifically, I want to speak about the calling that Jesus Christ has placed on all of our lives. That all of us who believe in Him, can likely say that we have experienced God, that we have experienced Him. Many of us that believe in Him, can say that we don’t just believe in the God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, but we can say that we have experienced our faith. That we have felt the presence of God move in us. Much like a tingling sensation, a warm sensation, or even a loving hug, we have felt the living God from within.
          Yes then, for many of us, we know the living God. For many of us, we don’t just believe this because it is the nice or a good thing to believe, we believe instead because He has shown himself to us. We have seen, we have heard, and we have felt the living God within us.
          For some of us, we can recall praying as a child, and feeling God’s overwhelming grace fill us and blanket us. For some of us, we were in church on a given Sunday, and as we were singing or praying, we felt the Holy Spirit move through us. Perhaps it moved us to tears, as we knew the truth and power of God’s presence in us, and in the whole universe. Maybe we had an experience in our life of great grief and mourning that brought us to throne of grace, where we found Jesus our Lord.
          You see my brothers and sisters, when God call us, when we are called to be followers of Jesus Christ, it isn’t like filling out a form at the DMV to register that car you just brought. Real conversion, is conversion of the heart, the mind, and the soul. It is something that we don’t just believe in, it is something that we know. When people say to me, “Paul, do you believe that there is God,” I say, “No, I know there is a God.”
          Real conversion then is so powerful, that you will do things like I did. You’re willing to shift the entire direction of your life, enter school for 4-years, and even drive about 180-miles each weekend, to serve God’s people. You see for me, as I did all of these things, not to obtain a “good job,” but rather because Jesus said to me, “Paul will you come and fish for people in my name.” I felt the presence of the Holy Spirit move in me so many times in my twenties, yet I fearfully denied my call, and fearfully found reasons to not fully follow Him. About three and half years ago though, I decided to fully and faithfully follow Jesus, and answer his call on my life. As part of this, my wife Melissa and I will soon be putting our house on the market in Moravia, as we are selling all, and following Him.
          So my brothers and sisters, if you have not already done so, Jesus calls to you right here and now and says, “Follow me, and I will make you fish for people.” He says, “Follow me to holiness, follow me to truth, follow me to the great beyond, and follow me to eternal life.” Jesus says, “Will you serve me, will you rebuild this world in my image, and will you build my kingdom in the here and the now?” You see the blessings, the joy, and the grace that Jesus Christ offers us is so much more fulfilling than anything that this world can offer.
          When looking at the scripture reading from the Old Testament prophet Isaiah from this morning, the prophet Isaiah tells us that. “The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; those who lived in a land of deep darkness—on them light has shined.” This light, this calling, is that of our Lord Jesus Christ, who says, “Follow me, and I will teach you to fish for people.”
          The prophet Isaiah goes on to say, “You have multiplied the nation, you have increased its joy; they rejoice before you as with joy at the harvest.” Our joy is found in Jesus Christ, the one who said, “Follow me, and I will make you fish for people.”
          In the Apostle Paul’s first Epistle or Letter to the Church in Corinth or the Corinthians, the Apostle Paul tells the church, “Now I appeal to you, brothers and sisters, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you be in agreement and that there be no divisions among you, but be united in the same mind and the same purpose.”
          The Apostle Paul then says, “it has been reported to me by Chloe’s people that there are quarrels among you my brothers and sisters.” Well luckily, church conflicts and quarrels only occurred 2,000 years ago, and luckily we never have those problems today. The Apostle is worried that the church in Corinth is following him, or Apollos, or Cephas, when it was Jesus Christ only that they should be following. The Apostle Paul then finished this first letter to the Corinthians by saying, “For the message about the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.” “Follow me and I will teach to you to fish for people.”
          So like the Apostle Paul told the church in the Corinth almost 2,000 years ago, “who do we serve, and who called us to follow?”
          In the gospel according Mathew reading from this morning, Jesus had just heard that John the Baptist had been arrested by King Herod, as Herod feared John the Baptist’s power. John the Baptist also did not always speak so highly of King Herod, and Herod would ultimately have John the Baptist beheaded.
          Mathew tells us in his gospel account, that when John was arrested, that Jesus “withdrew to Galilee,” and then made his new “home in Capernaum by the sea.” This move that was prophesized by the prophet Isaiah, many years before this. When Jesus was in the town of Capernaum, Mathew then tells us in the gospel narrative about Jesus that, “As he walked by the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon, who is called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the see—for they were fishermen.”
          Then Jesus looked at them and said, “Follow me, and I will make you fish for people.” You see Jesus called them by name, and the gospel says that, “Immediately they left their nets and followed him.” Then after this, “As he went from there, he saw two other brothers, James son of Zebedee and his brother John, in the boat with their father Zebedee, mending their nets, and he called them.” These two the gospel reading then said, “Immediately they left the boat and their father, and followed him.”
          So we have four men, Simon-Peter, Andrew, James, and John, who have all immediately left everything and followed Jesus. The gospel of Mathew reading from this morning then concluded with, “Jesus went throughout Galilee, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming the good news of the kingdom and curing every disease and every sickness among the people.”
          Four fishermen, people like us, whom were called to follow Him. Interestingly enough I met four such men in Israel on the Sea of Galilee. The story of meeting these men, is the story I am going close this sermon with this morning. Here is how it goes:
          On one of the days on our pilgrimage trip to the Holy Land, we went to see the now city of Capernaum, which is located on the Sea of Galilee. We saw different holy site and other places their first in the morning. This day then included a mid-day boat ride. After leaving a MacDonald’s with a fellow pilgrim John, at the shores of the Sea of Galilee, we got aboard a boat that was crewed by four men. All four of these men were from Israel and were all raised Jewish. Before the boat left the shore, our dean from the United Theological Seminary read the gospel scripture that I just read about Jesus telling these four different men, “Follow me and I will make you fish for people.”
          Suddenly we then began heading out into the Sea of Galilee, as we did so many people, such as myself were overcome with emotion. Many of us had tears flow down our cheeks as the gospel reading from this morning had come to life for us.
          After cruising on the boat for a little while, the boat stopped, and then the captain of this boat presented our group with a large fishing net, that he said would have likely almost looked identical to one used by Jesus’ disciples that were fishermen. Before casting this net into the water, the dean of our seminary once again read a gospel reading, but this time it was the reading about Jesus telling the disciples to cast their nets over the right side of the boat, and the catch ended up being so massive that they couldn’t hall all the fish in.
          The captain of the boat then cast the net to the left side of the boat, and then the right side of the boat. Sadly, he brought up no fish when casted the net, but Jesus hadn’t commanded to do so either.
          After doing this, the captain then began to speak to us all. He told us how he and his three shipmates met “Yashua” on the Sea of Galilee about 4-5 years ago. In Hebrew “Yashua” means Jesus. You see these men are still very Jewish in many of their beliefs, but like Simon-Peter, Andrew, James, and John, they are now followers of Jesus.
          The captain of this boat then proceeded to sing great Christian praise songs that where all partially in English and in Hebrew. Before doing this, the captain said that his boat, was the only Christian boat tour company on the entire Sea of Galilee. As the captain sang beautiful Christian praise songs that were half in English and half in Hebrew, we all had an emotional response to hearing this music on the Sea of Galilee.
          During this emotional response that I and everyone else was having, I came to the realization that 4-men, 4 fishermen and tour boat men, who were all born Jewish, were called to follow Jesus or “Yashua” and become “fishers of people.” As I looked at this large calloused handed ship captain that was signing beautifully, I thought, “This could have been Simon-Peter, Andrew, James, or John. For on the whole of the Sea of Galilee there were only 4-men, 4-fishermen that Jesus had called and said, “Follow me, and I will make you fish for people.” Today, it is interesting that there are still four Christian men, followers of “Yashua” who are on the Sea of Galilee called by Jesus to “fish for people.”
          As the magnitude of this hit me, and moved me to tears, as I realized that no matter how many years away from Jesus actually walking along the Sea of Galilee, that Jesus will always call forth new disciples. That Jesus will always say, “Follow me and I will make you fish for people.”
          Towards the end of this boat ride, the 4-men said that one of the things that they do to raise money to pay their bills, was to sell CD’s of their music, and necklaces made out of smooth stones taken from the Sea of Galilee. I then turned to my friend and fellow pilgrimage Steven, and said, “Stephen are you going to buy anything.” He then said, “I don’t think so Paul, I think I am going to save my money to buy others things.” Then he said, “Are you going to buy anything Paul.” I said, “Of course I am.” Steven then said, “Why is that.” I said to brother Steven, “Jesus has called just 4-fishersmen to fish for people on this entire Sea of Galilee. In addition, they are signing about Jesus loudly, so that people can here it far it away. So don’t you think we should support the 4-fisherman whom the Lord has called.”
          As I bought a necklace from the four fisherman, I looked back as Steven, and saw tears were in his eyes. I then bought the necklace, and as I looked over again, he gave me a look and nod, and then a few second later, he got up and bought something to.

          So my brothers and sisters, if Jesus Christ the living Lord says to you, “Follow me and I make you fish for people,” I urge you take that call very seriously. I bring this message in the name of the one who still calls fishermen on the Sea to Galilee to come and follow and to fish for people, Jesus the living Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment