Saturday, May 11, 2013

RWJ/Pottersville UMC - 05/12/13 Sermon - “The Founding Mothers" The Early Church Series, Part 6 of 6


Sunday - 05/12/13 RWJ/Pottersville UMC

Sermon: “The Founding Mothers” The Early Church Series, Part 6 of 6                                                                                      

Scripture Lesson: Revelation 22:12-14, 16-17, 20-21
                                             
Gospel Lesson: John 17:20-26

          Good morning brothers and sisters! What a joy it is to be with you on this the Seventh Sunday in this Easter Season. This is also a special Sunday in that it is also Mother’s Day! Mother’s Day is a special day in that we celebrate motherhood, our mothers, and all mothers. We know how much women and mothers do every day, and we know how much that our own mothers have and maybe even continue to do for us. Given this, while we should strive to love and appreciate our mothers every day, today is that special day of the year, where we specifically honor the mothers. So today, moms, grandmas, great grandmas, and all women, we honor you. Today, you are the focus of our love, our attention, and our appreciation.  
          In continuing through the early Christian Church series that I have been preaching on the past 5-weeks, I have talked about how the early Christian Church was persecuted for preaching and believing in Jesus Christ. I have talked about how the church back then and even now is resilient. How we are tough and committed to our faith even when it is not easy. I talked about how the early Christian Church was a church of “Signs, Wonders, and Miracles,” and how this is and still can the reality of our church today. I then talked about how the early church were Kingdom Builders, building the Kingdom of God wherever they went. We today, are still called to be Kingdom builders. Last week, I talked about how we must be “Sacrificers” like the early Christian Church was. The Apostles and early Christians went far and wide preaching, enduring hardship, and doing what it took to spread the gospel. Amidst all of this however, we must remember that our primary ministry must always be to our own families, as that is our own personal “Jerusalem,” given to us by almighty God.
          While I could easily preach about the early Christian Church for weeks and weeks, and talk about how they met in secret, how they worship sometimes in catacombs or cemeteries, how they were martyred, or how they struggled, today I want to conclude this series on this Mother’s Day, by talking about the women of God. In the context of the early Christian Church, I call these women, “The Founding Mothers.” “The Founding Mothers” are those women of the Bible and the early Christian Church that were vital and significant in building the Christian Church. Much like we have Founding Fathers, we also have “The Founding Mothers.” In like fashion, the women of the present day Christian Church, like you women sitting here this morning are likewise vital and significant to the building and growth of this church, and the kingdom of God. Given this, I want to be clear women of God, God needs you, the church needs you, we need you, and we thank you on this day for all that you do.
          For example consider these questions: when you were young, if you were raised in the church, who most often took you to church? Who most likely taught you the Bible? Who most likely taught you to pray? Now don’t get me wrong, for some of us the answer to all of these questions will be “My father” or “My Grandfather,” but for most of us, we would say it was “my mother” and “my grandmother.” Maybe it was an aunt, maybe some other women in your family, but for many of us, our faith was and still is transmitted largely through the women, the mothers. It was my mom who showed me the Bible and explained to me the significance of the Church. My step-father also aided with this, but in us being guys, he was often more subtle with his ministering. Perhaps he would say something like, “You know Paul, Jesus is sort of like this table saw.” Or he might say, “God is sort of like this 12-gauge Remington Paul. He is powerful, and can make peace really quick if he needs to.”
          For good measure on this mother day, I am going to briefly talk about just some of the women of the Bible. I will start with the obvious of Jesus Christ’s mother Mary. Who was Mary you might ask? Mary was a Jewish peasant girl who became the mother of Jesus of Nazareth. She watched as her son taught and preached in the Galilean countryside, and then anguished as he took a path into danger. Her emotions as she stood at the foot of the cross are unimaginable. She nurtured him, fed him, and she taught him. The Lord of life was raised by Joseph to, but also largely by Mary.
          When looking at the bible Characters of Mary of Bethany and Martha, we can learn that Martha and Mary of Bethany were leading members of a family who sponsored the travelling preacher and healer, Jesus of Nazareth. They seem to have been close friends with Jesus. Their house was near Jerusalem, and Jesus often stayed there. So Martha and Mary of Bethany supported Christ in his ministry.
          Next let us next consider Dorcas or Tabitha. When the power of Jesus of Nazareth passed into his disciples, to restore people to life as Jesus did in the Book of Acts, Tabitha was raised from the dead by the Apostle Peter. Women in the Christian community, like Dorcas or Tabitha, were models of the virtues advocated by Roman leaders: traditional family values like good sense, courage, contentment, and fortitude. 
Lastly, let us consider Mary Magdalene. Mary Magdalene led a group of women who were prominent followers of Jesus of Nazareth. They were present at all the key events in Jesus' life. For example, Mary Magdalene was there during his ministry in Galilee and Judea, she heard him teach, and may have been his financial backer, dealing with the practical details of sustaining a group of men and women for several years. This sort of reminds of my mother in her being a financial person. Mary Magdalene was there during the crucifixion and death of Jesus - all four gospels mention her presence, and she was faithful to the end. Most importantly, she was there at the resurrection, was the first witness of this world-changing event, and was then even commissioned by the angel to 'go and tell', as an apostle to the apostles.
It is interesting to know that only Jesus’ “Beloved Apostle,” who we think was John was at the foot of the cross. None of the other Apostles were there, as they were in hiding out of fear. So who then told them about the crucifixion? I could have very likely been the women? Who discovered the empty tomb? The women did. How did the Apostles hear of the empty tomb then? Well from the women of course. The Apostles were still hiding out of fear.
When viewing the scripture lesson from the Book of Revelation from the morning, it spoke of Jesus’s triumphant second return. That he is coming soon, that he is “the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.” The scripture then went on to say, “Come.” “And let everyone who hears say, “Come.” This anyone of course, includes the women. When we consider the great saints of the Church, will we not see Mary Magadalene, Martha, Ruth, and Tabitha in that great could of witnesses in glory? Will they not be amongst the throngs of saints in heaven?
The scripture from the Book of Revelation concluded with Jesus the Christ saying, “Surely I am coming soon,” and believe me brothers and sisters he is coming for us all! I believe that when we see the Lord, that we will see that great cloud of witnesses, many of them will be the women. Our grandmothers and other women in our family will be there to greet us.
In the gospel of John reading from this morning, Jesus said, “I ask not only on behalf of these, but also on behalf of those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one.” Jesus the Christ said one brothers and sisters, and in being one that includes not just all of the men of God, but the women of God to. Jesus concluded the gospel reading by speaking of the Father, and he said, “I made your name known to them, and I will make it known, so that the love with which you have loved me may be in then, and I in them.”
So given all of this brothers and sisters, where would be without the “Founding Mothers?” Where would we be without our own mothers? Where would be without the Mother Theresa’s and all of the Christian women who have and continue to make our faith what it is today? I know for me that I would not be here today, if were not for my mother, my wife, and all of the other women in my life. If wife weren’t here, my clothes would also likely not match. I have a bad streak of matching shirts with ties!
You know about 4-years ago I went through a tough few months in my life. It was time or transition for me, a time that I struggled to figure out who I was, and what God wanted me to do. This period included for me some depression, some anxiety, and the exposure of my soul to almighty God. Within a year of this trying time, I was in seminary, and now stand before you all hear today. During that trying time my mom was there for me, as was my wife. When I really had a hard day during these few months, my mom would say to me, “Paul, you’re a son of the king, and ever since you were a little boy I have prayed for almighty God to use you in a mighty way.”
So I stand before you on this morning, anything but being “pulled up from my own bootstraps,” but as man who was formed and nurtured by many loving women, and many solid men. In growing up for much of my childhood with a single mother, and having my biological father living out in Northern Illinois, the church became my family. The men and women of churches like this, formed me, loved, made what I am today, and made me into your pastor. In fact, a woman in the last church that my wife and I used to attend said in one of meetings I was at shortly before I started my appointment up here that, “One day were going to take credit for you Paul. We’re going to able to say that we produced from our little church, Paul Winkelman.”  
So I stand before on this morning grateful and thankful for our “Founding Mothers” and for the women of the church, both past a present. For the Betty Griffins, for the Jean Reeds, and for the Mildred Proutys. So on this day, let us take time to honor and love our mothers and all of the women of God.
I would like to close this morning with a story. This story is called “A Mother’s Occupation.” Here is how it goes: A woman named Emily renewing her driver's license at the Transport office was asked by the clerk to state her occupation. She hesitated, uncertain how to classify herself. "What I mean is," explained the clerk, "do you have a job, or are you just a ......? "Of course I have a job," snapped Emily. "I'm a Mum." "We don't list 'Mum' as an occupation...... 'housewife' covers it," said the clerk emphatically.
I forgot all about Emily’s story until one day I found myself in the same situation, this time at our local police station. The Clerk was obviously a career woman, poised, efficient, and possessed of a high sounding title like, "Official Interrogator" or "Town Registrar." "What is your occupation?" she probed. What made me say it, I do not know...
The words simply popped out. "I'm a Research Associate in the field of Child Development and Human Relations." The clerk paused, pen frozen in midair, and looked up as though she had not heard right. I repeated the title slowly, emphasizing the most significant words. Then I stared with wonder as my pronouncement was written in bold, black ink on the official questionnaire!
"Might I ask," said the clerk with new interest, "just what you do in your field?" Coolly, without any trace of fluster in my voice, I heard myself reply, "I have a continuing program of research, (what mother doesn't), in the laboratory and in the field, (normally I would have said indoors and out). I'm working for my Masters, (the whole family), and already have four credits, (all daughters). Of course, the job is one of the most demanding in the humanities, (any mother care to disagree.?) and I often work 14 hours a day, (24 is more like it). But the job is more challenging than most run-of-the-mill careers and the rewards are more of a satisfaction rather than just money." There was an increasing note of respect in the girl's voice as she completed the form, stood up, and personally ushered me to the door.
When I got home, buoyed up by my glamorous new career, I was greeted by my lab assistants -ages 10, 7, and 3. Upstairs, I could hear our new experimental model, (a 6 month old baby), in the child-development program, testing out a new vocal pattern. I felt I had triumphed over bureaucracy! And I had gone on the official records as someone more distinguished and indispensable to mankind than "just another Mum." Motherhood.....What a glorious career! Especially when there's a title on the door!
For those mothers who have a career and still do all of that, today we honor you. Brothers and sisters as we are all, as John Wesley said, “Moving on towards perfection” let us honor and remember our “Founding Mothers.” Let us also on this day cherish, love, and honor our current mothers, the matriarchs of our church who build the kingdom of God here on earth. In the name of the father, the son, and the Holy Spirit I bring this message to you here this morning. Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment