Saturday, February 23, 2013

RWJ/Pottersville UMC 02/24/13 Sermon - “It has begun”


Sunday 02/24/13 RWJ/Pottersville UMC

Sermon: “It has begun”                                                                                      

Scripture Lesson: Psalm 27
                                             
Gospel Lesson: Luke 13:31-35

          Good morning brothers and sisters! It is a great joy, as always to be worshipping with you here this morning. On this morning, we continue to move forward in this Lenten Season.
          Last week, as we had just begun the Lenten Season, I challenged us to consider what we could give up for Lent, or more appropriately what we could give away for Lent. For in this time of the Christian Calendar, Jesus moves closer and closer to dying for us all on the cross. He moves closer to fulfilling all of the prophecies of old, so that we may have eternal life.
          Yesterday, I watched an excellent film called “The Gospel of John”. In this movie, the entire Gospel according to John was made into an almost 3-hour feature length film. In the film, it is amazing to see how so many people judged Jesus, and how so many didn’t believe that he was who he said he was. It was amazing that Jesus healed, that he performed many other miracles, and raised the dead, and yet many still doubted him. He commanded Lazarus back to life, and yet some still doubted him.
          You see, while many flocked to this Jesus of Nazareth, especially the poor, the sick, and the down trodden, the religious leaders were very Leary of him. After all, weren’t they the ones who knew God the best? Weren’t they the ones who had the answers regarding God, the afterlife, and etc.? Further, the religious leaders of Jesus’ time lived good lives, to say the least.
          You see during this time, the average person in Jerusalem didn’t eat meat everyday, like many of us having the luxury of doing today. Most folks only ate meat during special feasts, weddings, or other special festivals. The Pharisees, the high priests, and the other religious leaders though, got to eat meat each and every day. This is because, according to the “Old Law” or the “Law of Moses” in the Old Testament, people had to offer animal sacrifices to God in the Jewish Temple in Jerusalem. The Old Testament or Jewish Torah book of Leviticus, among other things, talked about how to butcher an animal. We often know this today, as something being “Kosher”. Many of us know that Jews cannot eat pork, and that “Kosher” meat products must be butchered and prepared according to this “Old Law,” or the “Law of Moses”. We can still see many products in the grocery store today in fact, that are “Kosher” products.
            So every day, the wealthy religious leaders would sacrifice these animals according the “Old Law,” and the folks who came to pay tribute to God, would also sometimes bring money to give, bring food to give, and etc. The Pharisees, the high priests, and the other religious leaders, would then often keep the rest of these sacrificed and butchered animals. You see the religious leaders, lived good. Jesus of Nazareth then enters the picture, comes to the temple and flips the tables of the money changers selling animals at premium price, to be used as sacrifices from the common folks of Jerusalem. Jesus said, "Get these out of here! How dare you turn my Father's house into a market!"
          Well I might be young, and I might still be naïve to many of the things of this world, but this I have learned, leaders and people in power don’t like people who “upset the apple cart”. Leaders and people in power generally want to maintain the status quo, and definitely don’t want some young Nazarene named Jesus coming in and challenging there authority. While miracles were performed, while Jesus proved he was who he said he was, this meant that the “good life” could be over for the Pharisees. In fact, the Pharisees giving 30-pieces of silver to Judas Iscariot to sell out Jesus, was chump change to these guys. They would do anything to maintain their power, anything. In fact, quickly “It had begun,” the planning and the scheming, to kill Jesus.
          In the scripture reading from this morning, Psalm 27 said that “The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid”. I can imagine Jesus saying to the Pharisees and the people at the temple the day he turned over the tables, “Do you really think that these expensive animal sacrifices will save you?” “Do you really think that just following the Law to the “T” will be enough for almighty God?” I would imagine that Jesus would say, “What about the internal change for God?” “You must follow me,” he said.
          You see, Jesus came to change the social order, and everything in it. Jesus said, have faith in him, not in animal sacrifices. Only faith in him will get you to life eternal.
I can imagine then, that the Pharisees thought, “Jesus was bad for business”. We all know what often happens to things that are bad for business, don’t we. The scripture from this morning ended by saying, “Wait for the LORD; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the LORD!” trust in Jesus. “It has begun”. They are planning to kill Jesus of Nazareth.
In the reading from the Gospel of Luke from this morning, it read, “At that very hour some Pharisees came and said to him, “Get away from here, for Herod wants to kill you”. Jesus then said to those Pharisees, “Go and tell that fox for me, ‘Listen, I am casting our demons and performing cures today and tomorrow, and on the third day I will finish my work”. Jesus then left Jerusalem as he said that it is impossible for a prophet to be killed outside of Jerusalem”. He will return on a donkey though, to the shouts of Hosanna soon, a day very close to his death.
While Jesus knew long before the crucifixion that he was coming to earth to die for the sins of the world, I wonder that when Jesus heard that Herod wanted to kill him, if he said, “it has begun”. The road to his death and burial has begun. I mean after all, he came to heal, love, and forgive, and he was always right when the Pharisees debated him. So he was amazing and was always right, and they want to kill him for this? His crime, his only real crime I think, was that he was perfect.
Sometimes in my short life, I have seen what companies and other employers have done to young, talented, and ambitious people. Sometimes such people are seen as a threat, and sometimes they are marginalized and ultimately fired, because they “caused waves”. Jesus caused waves. Jesus challenged us to put our faith in him, and not just laws and rules alone.
For after all, as the song “You are I am” by the Christian band “Mercy Me” says in reference to Jesus, “You're the one who conquers giants, You're the one who calls out kings, You shut the mouths of lions, You tell the dead to breathe, You're the one who walks through fire, You take the orphan's hand, You are the one Messiah. You are I am. You are I am.”
I would like to close this morning with a story. This story is called “Come as you are, no jacket required”. Here is how it goes: I shook my head in disbelief, the man said. This couldn’t be the right place. After all, I couldn’t possibly be welcome here. I had been given an invitation several times, by several different people, and had finally decided to see what this place was all about. But, this just couldn’t be the right place. Quickly, I glanced down at the invitation that clutched in my hand. I scanned past the words, “Come as you are. No jacket required,” and found the location. Yes, I was at the right place. I peered through the window again and saw a room of people whose faces seemed to glow with joy. All were neatly dressed, adorned in fine garments and appeared strangely clean as they dined at this exquisite restaurant. Ashamed, I looked down at my own tattered and torn clothing, covered in stains. I was dirty, in fact, filthy. A foul smell seemed to consume me and I couldn’t shake the grime that clung to my body. As I turned around to leave, the words from the invitation seemed to leap out at me, “Come as you are. No jacket required.”
I decided to give it a shot. Mustering up every bit of courage I could find, I opened the door to this restaurant and walked up to a man standing behind a podium. Your name, sir?” he asked me with a smile. “Daniel F. Renken,” I mumbled without looking up. I thrust my hands deep into my pockets, hoping to conceal their stains. He didn’t seem to notice the filth that I was covered in and he continued, “Very good, sir. A table is reserved in your name. Would you like to be seated?” I couldn’t believe what I heard! A grin broke out on my face and I said, “Yes, of course! “He led me to a table and, sure enough, there was a placard with my name written on it in a deep, dark red. As I browsed over a menu, I saw many delightful items listed. There were things like, “peace,” “joy,” “blessings,” “confidence,” “assurance,” “hope,” “love,” “faith,” and “mercy.” I realized that this was no ordinary restaurant! I flipped the menu back to the front in order to see where I was. “God’s Grace,” was the name of this place!
The man returned and said, “I recommend the ‘Special of the Day’.” With it, you are entitled to heaping portions of everything on this menu.” You’ve got to be kidding! I thought to myself. You mean, I can have ALL of this! “What is the ‘Special of the Day,” I asked with excitement ringing in my voice. “Salvation,” was his reply. “I’ll take it,” I practically cried out. Then, as quickly as I made that statement, the joy left my body. A sick, painful ache jerked through my stomach and tears filled my eyes. Between my sobs I said, “Mister, look at me. I’m dirty and nasty. I’m unclean and unworthy of such things. I’d love to have all of this, but, I Just can’t afford it.” Undaunted, the man smiled again. “Sir, your check has already been taken care of by that Gentleman over there,” he said pointing to the front of the room. “His Name is Jesus.”
Turning, I saw a man whose very presence seemed to light the room. He was almost too much to look at. I found myself walking towards Him and in a shaking voice I whispered, “Sir, I’ll wash the dishes or sweep the floors or take out the trash. I’ll do anything I can do to repay you for all of this.” He opened His arms and said with a smile, “Son, all of this is yours if you just come unto Me. Ask Me to clean you up and I will. Ask Me to take away the stains and it is done. Ask Me to allow you to feast at My table and you will eat. Remember, the table is reserved in your name. All you must do is accept this gift that I offer you.”
Astonished, I fell at His feet and said, “Please, Jesus. Please clean up my life. Please change me and seat me at Your table and give me this new life.” Immediately, I heard the words, “It is finished.” I looked down and white robes adorned my squeaky clean body. Something strange and wonderful had happened. I felt new, like a weight had been lifted, and I found myself seated at His table.
“The ‘Special of the Day’ has been served,” the Lord said to me. “Salvation is yours.” We sat and talked for a great while and I so enjoyed the time that I spent with Him. He told me, me of all people, that He would like me to come back as often as I liked for another helping from God’s Grace. He made it clear that He wanted me to spend as much time with Him as possible.
As it drew near time for me to go back outside into the “real world,” He whispered to me softly, “And Daniel, I am with you always.” And then, He said something to me that I will never forget. He said, “My child, Do you see these empty tables throughout this room?” “Yes, Lord. I see them. What do they mean?” I replied. “These are reserved tables, but the individuals whose names are on each placards have not accepted their invitations to dine. Would you be so kind as to hand out these invitations to those who have not joined us yet?” Jesus asked. “Of course,” I said with excitement as I picked up the invitations. “Go ye therefore into all nations,” He said as I turned to leave. I walked into God’s Grace dirty and hungry. Stained in sin. My righteousness as filthy rags. And Jesus cleaned me up. I walked out a brand new man . . . robed in white, His righteousness. And so, I’ll keep my promise to my Lord. I’ll go. I’ll spread the Word. I’ll share the Gospel . . . I’ll hand out the invitations.
And I’ll start with you. Have you been to God’s Grace? There’s a table reserved in your name, and here’s your invitation . . . “Come as you are. No jacket required.”
You see Jesus came to earth to love, heal, and forgive. He upset the social order so much that religious leaders were determined to kill him. “It has begun” Jesus might have though, as they planned and schemed to kill the savior of the world. This week let us spread the message of the salvation of Jesus Christ, who came to die for us all. Amen.

         


No comments:

Post a Comment