Saturday, November 3, 2012

RWJ/Pottersville UMC 11/04/12 Sermon - “They love their country” (Qualities of a Good Leaders Series, Part 4 of 5)


Sunday 11/04/12 RWJ/Pottersville UMC

Sermon: They love their country”                                                                                                (Qualities of a Good Leader Series: Part 4 of 5)

Scripture Lesson: Hebrews 9:11-14

Gospel Lesson: Mark 12:28-34

          Good morning brothers and sisters! I greet you in the name our risen Lord and savior Jesus Christ! I hope and pray that you have all had a blessed week and I am happy to be worshipping with you here this morning!
          This morning I am continuing on with my series on the qualities of good leadership. In the midst of a presidential election season, thinking about qualities of good leadership is something that many of us naturally do. Good leadership is something very much needed right now in this country, not only in our government, in our businesses, but in all places, including our churches. While the qualities of good biblical leadership are many, I have chosen to preach on just five of these qualities.
In my first week of this series I talked about leaders who are “humble before there people.” The bible calls for the followers of God to be humble and loving to all people. In the second week of this series, I highlighted the leadership quality of “being amongst the people.” This quality of leadership shows people that a leader cares about the people that they serve. That by being amongst them, they show that they really love them and that they do what they say they will do. Last week, I talked about how we need to live sacrificially for others. That good leaders “sacrifice for the greater good.” In this way, Jesus said in Mathew 16:24-26: If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it. What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?”
Today, I want to talk about good leaders “Who love their country.” How can one be a good leader of their people without loving there country? I mean how can you represent your town, your county, your state, or your country, if you do not love them? How can you lead a church or serve a church effectively if you do not love Jesus?
I recently watched a man speaking about the United States, and what he said was very interesting to me. What he said was that, “America is not a country, but rather it is an idea.” In fact, the famous quote written on the Statue of Liberty says, “Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.” To me this country of ours, while not perfect, and while having the stains of slavery and oppression in our history, is an idea. This idea is that this country will be under God, that it will be a land of freedom, and that it will be one where all people are created equal. While our country still has many struggles and problems, the very biblical idea of being free, of pursuing happiness, and of being under God, is very much in line with scripture. In the bible we are called to transform the world into the coming kingdom of Jesus Christ. Everything our country was founded upon then has undeniable threads and correlations to the bible. In the scripture reading this morning from the book of Hebrews, it talked about how Jesus did away with the Old Law of Moses, and the old ways of doing things. In fact, this scripture from Hebrews said, “how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without blemish to God, purify our consciences from dead works to worship the living God.” You see these “dead works of worship,” such as having to sacrifice animals to God, or any such things like this, are not needed anymore Jesus said. Jesus said, “I make all things new.” In many ways then, I compare this scripture to this idea that America was and is a new experiment in living and in government, abandoning of the old ways of life, for a new way life.
2 Timothy 3:16-17 says, All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.” You see our faith then, to me, is directly correlated with the idea of what the very fabric of what the idea our country represents. Further, I think that the desire for freedom, happiness, and faith in God, should be a reality for all countries. If a country is truly a nation that espouses faith in God, I think that such a country often is different than other more secular or un-Godly countries. In fact, I don’t think that it is a mistake that many nations still look to the United States as a model of freedom, democracy, and faith. Philippians 3:20 says, “But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ.” When we envision a world of good Godly leaders, it is important for these leaders to love there people and their countries. I wonder sometimes what our world would look if we had good Godly leaders in leadership roles in at least many of our countries. How much better would this world be? Because when seeking good leaders, a leader must love there people and love their country.
In looking at the Gospel of Mark reading this morning, Jesus discussed the greatest commandment of “loving the Lord your God with all your mind, and with all your strength,” and the second greatest commandment of “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” To me, Jesus is not just calling us to love each other in this country, but he is calling us to love people in all countries. All people are creations of almighty God, and when we fully love God and his people then we as Jesus said to the scribe in this scripture, “are not far from the kingdom of God.”  I think that we need to seek leaders that love their countries and love there people. Imagine a world where countries all worked together, and all loved there people. I think that is the world that Jesus envisions for us.
 In his speech to the American University in Washington, D.C. on June 10, 1963, President John F. Kennedy said, “So, let us not be blind to our differences. But let us also direct attention to our common interests and to the means by which those differences can be resolved. And if we cannot end now our differences, at least we can help make the world safe for diversity. For, in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children’s future. And we are all mortal.”
Jesus wants good leaders who love there people and their country. Of all the scriptures that I viewed this week on Godly leadership and loving one’s country, a scripture from 1 Timothy really spoke to me. This scripture 1 Timothy 2:1-6 says, “First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.  For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all, which is the testimony given at the proper time.” Abraham Lincoln said, “I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives. I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him.” President Kennedy also said, “My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.”
You know in seeing the awful realities of Hurricane Sandy this week, many of us heard stories of people who sacrificed. They sacrificed because they loved there people, and they loved this country. I remember seeing Governor Christ Christi of New Jersey on television this week. As he was literally toiling to help the people he loves so much in the great state of New Jersey, a reporter asked him, “Governor, do you think this hurricane will affect the election? Also are you going to not help with presidential campaigning because of this?” The Governor quickly replied to my shock and amazement, “I don’t give a damn about the election right now, my people are suffering, and I have a job to do.” I’m convinced that Governor Chris Christi loves his people, and loves his country.
I heard the head of the Roman Catholic Arch-Diocese in New York City, Cardinal Archbishop Timothy Dolan on the radio visiting various homeless shelters and talking to people. The Cardinal Archbishop really lifted the spirits of not only Roman Catholics, but all people who needed faith and encouragement. When asked why he was so adamant about visiting these people, he just said “scripture says when one part of the body suffers, the whole body suffers.”
I would normally end with a story, but I am not doing that this morning, in light of the hurricane. Instead, I will say this, now is a time for us to love our country. Our relief workers in UMCOR are on the ground as we speak giving and helping those people who are struggling, as a result of the hurricane. Now as a pastor, I rarely preach about giving money, as I feel it is between us and God. I will say this though brothers and sisters, part of our body is suffering. We have brothers and sisters without power, fuel, heat, and adequate food. I love my state, and I love my country. I am giving to this cause, and I ask that you do the same.
I ask this because biblically, good leaders love their country. I love this country, despite all of our flaws, and my heart breaks to see our people suffering as a result of this hurricane. So this week let’s prove to this country and this world, that we in the Christian Church are who we say we are. Let’s help out those struggling, because good leaders love their country. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment