Saturday, October 6, 2012

RWJ/Pottersville UMC 10/07/12 Sermon - “Do you serve Him when all is lost?” (Growing in faith series, Part 6 of 6)


Sunday 10/07/12 RWJ/Pottersville UMC

 

Sermon: “Do you serve Him when all is lost?”                       

(Growing in faith series, Part 6 of 6)

Scripture Lesson: Job 1:1; 2:1-10


Gospel Lesson: Mark 10:2-16                         

 

          Good morning brothers and sisters! I greet you in the name our risen Lord and savior Jesus Christ! I hope and pray that you have all had a blessed week and I am happy to be worshipping with you here this morning!

          This morning I am concluding my six part “Growing in faith series.” In concluding this series, I am going to quickly touch upon what I have talked about thus far. In my first week of this series, I talked about “Walking our Faith vs. Talking our Faith,” and how if we had big and strong Christian Churches, that we could do incredible things for this community and the world with all our pooled gifts, time, and resources. The second week of this series, I gave a message called “Faith without works is dead,” and in this message I talked about the need to live our faith through doing kind and generous things for others. After all, what good is our faith if we don’t share it? In the third week of this series, I gave a message called “Would you deny Him?” In this message I talked about how we need to treat all people as if there were Jesus Himself. We need to try to love and care for all people, and when we fail to do so, we deny Him. In week four of this series, I preached a message called “Who is the greatest amongst us?” While we all are at different points on our faith walks, God equally loves us all, and we all need His saving grace. In this way we are all the greatest before God. Last week I gave a message called “What are our stumbling blocks.” In this message, I talked about how we are all struggling with different sins and different struggles. I then talked about how we must identify our struggles and our stumbling blocks, and help one another to not stumble.

          This week, I am going to be concluding this series of growing in faith, by asking you, “Do you serve Him when all is lost?” By this, I mean to you trust God and serve the Lord when it seems you have hit rock bottom? For many of us, we arrived at this point in our lives at different time for many different reasons. Maybe we lost a good job for no reason. Maybe we experienced the death of loved one. Maybe we went through a painful divorce. Maybe our plan for our lives has not turned out to be our reality. It is easy for us to get bitter, to blame God, and to turn from God. We also can turn from God when we have unrealistic temptations. I would argue here this morning that the devil is always tempting us. Maybe he is tempting us with money, relationships, power, houses, cars, and etc. I want you to listen to this thing I am about to say very closely though. This thing is the devil cannot tempt with you with something that you do not want. Did you here that? The devil cannot tempt you with something that you do not want. Sometimes, in my flesh I get stressed over money, I get stressed over material things. In reality though I don’t want the money or the material things really, I just want to know that God will take care of me. You see God will provide for us, but the devil whispers to us, “Do you have enough money?” The devil then says, “Do you own a big enough house?” The devil then says, “You have not amounted to much in life?” Or maybe the devil says, “Since you are divorced, can anyone really ever love you again?”

          I think that these deceptions and temptations from the devil are the cause of much of our sorrow. I mean if the devil tells me that I need to buy a big house and I do not want a big house, then how can the devil tempt me with a big house. This is because the devil cannot tempt with something you do not want. In my Christian walk, I am learning to want nothing but the Lord. This as we all know is very hard. If we truly wanted nothing but the Lord though, this really narrows the margin on what Satan can tempt us with doesn’t it?

          When we experience extreme loss, we sometimes ask God, why did this happen? It is so easy to start to blame God, to blame others, and to feel empty angry inside. Sometimes we go through spiritual droughts; sometimes we are on the mountain top. The question I try to ask myself in everything that I do though is “where is Jesus Christ in all of this?” “Do we serve Him when all is lost?” Do we realize how much God loves us when we feel empty? Do we realize how much the family of God loves us when we feel empty? Would we serve God with nothing but ourselves?

You see when we are empty this is the best time for the devil to tear us down. This is when the devil will tell us that we are worthless. The devil wants us think that we are unlovable, that we are rotten to the core, but Jesus Christ always love us. In fact, God loves you so much, and there isn’t a thing that you can do about it. Even when we feel like He isn’t there, He loves us. When we feel empty and broken, we don’t need to stop at just prayer to be healed, but we also have each other. Believe me when I say that the devil doesn’t like the fact that we are in worship right now. God loves us, and the devil cannot tempt us with something we do want.

 In the scripture reading from Job today, Job lost everything and at time was angry at God. In this scripture Job did not sin with his lips, but he at times in the book of Job had anger, frustration, and doubt. In this way God was testing him. In our lives we will have times that we feel empty, broken, and weak, and God is there. We have each other to lift us up, as we are broken. God’s love then shines not only from Him to us directly, but He shines that loves to us through others.

In the Gospel of Mark reading this morning, Jesus talked about the way we should aspire to live, and talked about having hardness of the heart. You see, when are broken, we need to believe that Jesus is there for us, but He won’t necessarily fix us immediately or make everything better right away. Sometimes in the great mystery that is our faith Jesus wants us to struggle and to tarry so that we may know Him better. Sometimes bad things happen and the mysteries of God are beyond us, but He still loves us and has a plan for us.

I think of the story I heard on the news a few years ago of when a person went into an Amish school house and shot and killed several Amish children. I remember that the families of these murdered children forgave the killer and I think ever might have went to visit and love the man in prison who did that. To me I wondered how could people trust God this much in the face of such calamity and loss? I mean he murdered their children? There served Him when all was lost? How can you and I serve Him when all is lost? If everything is lost and we trust God, I mean truly trust Him, will he be faithful? I think He will, because God is always faithful. He might not be faithful in the way we think he will be, but he is always faithful.

About a two years ago, a family that my wife works with where a couple of hours away for Thanksgiving dinner, and enjoyed Thanksgiving with their extended family. After a great and blessed Thanksgiving dinner, the family drove home, and when they approach there house, they realized that while they were at Thanksgiving dinner, that there house had burnt to the ground. This occurred, due to some old wiring. Luckily, the fire department was able to get all of animals out alive, but the family lost virtually everything. They had no insurance to cover a fire. They lost everything. Quickly clothing drives and fundraisers got together a great deal of things for the family. Interestingly enough, when this mother came into my wife’s office a couple of weeks later, she seemed calm and pleasant. You see this woman is a devout Christian, and even through this she trusted God. The family now has another house they live in and God has provided everything that they need to be successful. Do we trust Him like this?

Do we really trust and serve God when all is lost? Do we really trust that God will carry us through? Can stop losing sleep over stress and worry at night? Maybe we should just give God our problems and go to bed. After all, God is going to be up all night anyway.

I would like to close today’s message with a story. This story is about a terrible storm. Here is the story: A terrible storm came into a town and local officials sent out an emergency warning that the riverbanks would soon overflow and flood the nearby homes. They ordered everyone in the town to evacuate immediately. A faithful Christian man heard the warning and decided to stay, saying to himself, “I will trust God and if I am in danger, then God will send a divine miracle to save me.” The neighbors came by his house and said to him, “We’re leaving and there is room for you in our car, please come with us!” But the man declined. “I have faith that God will save me.” As the man stood on his porch watching the water rise up the steps, a man in a canoe paddled by and called to him, “Hurry and come into my canoe, the waters are rising quickly!” But the man again said, “No thanks, God will save me.” The floodwaters rose higher pouring water into his living room and the man had to retreat to the second floor. A police motorboat came by and saw him at the window. “We will come up and rescue you!” they shouted. But the man refused, waving them off saying, “Use your time to save someone else! I have faith that God will save me!” The flood waters rose higher and higher and the man had to climb up to his rooftop. A helicopter spotted him and dropped a rope ladder. A rescue officer came down the ladder and pleaded with the man, "Grab my hand and I will pull you up!" But the man STILL refused, folding his arms tightly to his body. “No thank you! God will save me!” Shortly after, the house broke up and the floodwaters swept the man away and he drowned. When in Heaven, the man stood before God and asked, “I put all of my faith in You. Why didn’t you come and save me? And God said, “Son, I sent you a warning. I sent you a car. I sent you a canoe. I sent you a motorboat. I sent you a helicopter. What more were you looking for?”

You see when we serve and trust God when all is lost, we not only can trust in God, but we need to realize that sometimes our hope is found in each other. I saw a shirt a couple of years ago that said, “Sometimes God performs miracles, but the rest of the time He sends me.” When all is lost God has promised that He will be faithful either directly or through His people. Let us this week look to God and each other when we feel lost. Amen.

 

   

 

           

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment