Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Freeville/Homer Avenue UMC's - Second Sunday after the Epiphany/Human Relations Day - 01/15/17 Sermon - “What would you say if you saw Jesus?" "The power of Jesus' presence" Series [Part 1 of 3]

Sunday 01/15/17 Freeville/Homer Avenue UMC’s

Sermon Title: “What would you say if you saw Jesus?”
            (“The power of Jesus’ presence” Series – Part 1 of 3)

Old Testament Scripture: Isaiah 49:1-7
                                            
New Testament Scripture: 1 Corinthians 1:1-9

Gospel Lesson: John 1:29-42

          My friends, my sisters and brothers, welcome again on this the Second Sunday after the Epiphany, and this our Human Relations Day Sunday. On this Sunday we are in the season after the Epiphany of the Lord, after the Wise Men or Magi came to Jesus with gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh. We will remain in this season after the Epiphany, through Transfiguration Sunday, which is Sunday February 26th. Then on Wednesday March 1st, the season of Holy Lent will begin on Ash Wednesday.
          While we are in this season after the Epiphany, we also have a special giving Sunday in the life of church today, called Human Relations Day. Once again this a special church offering that will be taken in addition to the normal offering today. According to www.umcgiving.org, the Human Relations Day offering, “benefits neighborhood ministries through Community Developers, community advocacy through United Methodist Voluntary Services and work with at-risk teen through the Youth Offender Rehabilitation program” (http://www.umcgiving.org/question-articles/human-relations-day-faq). If you are interested in donating to this special giving Sunday, please make your checks out to the UNYUMC and put Human Relations Day on the memo line. If you are giving cash, feel free to just mark the funds on an envelope for Human Relations Day, and we will get those fund to the conference office in Syracuse.
          With this said, in this New Year, I am starting a three week preaching series called “The power of Jesus’ presence”.
          As I preparing for this sermon, I thought of patient that I offered spiritual care to when I was a chaplain intern up at SUNY Upstate University Hospital. This patient was from the Southeastern European country of Macedonia. At SUNY Upstate University Hospital, chaplains, and all staff, wear these little walkie-talkie like devices around there necks. These devices can communicate with anyone in the hospital, and can do a variety of other things, as well. One of the features of these devices, is that you can call a language translator to help you to speak to folks who can’t speak English. In this case, a Macedonian to English translator.
          Now I can’t remember why this women from Macedonia was in Syracuse, or in the hospital for that matter, but I do remember that she was scared to be in the hospital. You see, she didn’t really speak good English.
In visiting with her, I asked her where she was from. She told me that she was from Macedonia, as the translator and I spoke back and forth through my little neck walkie-talkie. As the conversation continued, this woman began to discuss, among other things, her faith, as she was a Roman Catholic Christian.
          She then asked me if I admired any Roman Catholic leaders both past and or present. Among the names that I gave her, was the former Arch-Bishop of El Salvador Oscar Romero, and Mother Teresa. When I said the name Mother Teresa, who is now Saint Mother Teresa in the Roman Catholic Church, this woman lit right up.
It was almost as if this woman forgot that she was scared. Almost at once, she looked calm, pleased, and relaxed. She then began weeping, as she told me through the translator, the story of how Saint Mother Teresa came to her village in Macedonia one day. On this day, this woman met Saint Mother Theresa. This woman then said that she was able to shake Mother Theresa’s hand, and that she was blessed by her. This woman wept incredibly as she told me this story. She told me that she was in the presence of a holy woman, and that it changed her and her faith forever. Before I left this visit, I then prayed with this women. When I left, the fear that I had seen on this woman’s face when I entered that hospital room, turned into calm, joy, peace, and love.
          As I said, as I was preparing this sermon, I thought about this woman was changed by an encounter with the now Saint Mother Theresa. In pondering this, I then wondered what it would be like to physically stand in the presence of Jesus Christ himself. By this I mean, what was it like to see, talk to, touch, and listen to Jesus? Some people in Hollywood might say that Jesus had “stage presence,” but I think that Jesus Christ, God in the flesh, had a presence to him like no other. I believe that he could enter a room or an area, and that the people around him would notice him immediately. I don’t mean that Jesus was the life of the party, but I believe he must have possessed some amazing and holy qualities, that drew people to himself. The full of embodiment of God’s love and truth standing right in front of you. What would that be like I wonder?
          Well friends, brothers and sisters, let us imagine this for ourselves, for a few moments. In a moment I am going to ask you to shut your eyes, as I discuss some of the gospel of John reading for this morning.
So if you could shut your eyes, and then just listen to what I am saying. Imagine that on this day that you are near the Jordan River in Israel/Palestine, likely sitting on the banks of the river. Imagine that it is a hot and sunny day today. Imagine that John the Baptist is in the Jordan River, or near the Jordan River at this point. With John are his disciples, which includes you, and the Apostle Peter’s brother Andrew. Imagine you are sitting on or near there bank of the Jordan River, and perhaps John the Baptist is talking, or like I said, perhaps he baptizing someone at this point. Imagine that this is a beautiful and peaceful day.
          Just then, Jesus begins to walk down the path towards the river. Jesus Christ, the bread of life, the prince of peace, the light of the world, walking towards the Jordan River. As Jesus walks towards the river, his cousin John the Baptist yells out, “Here is the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world! This is he of whom I said, ‘After me comes a man who ranks ahead of me because he was before me’ (Jn. 1:29-30, NRSV).
          John the Baptist then says, “I myself did not know him; but I came baptizing with water for this reason, that he might be revealed to Israel (Jn. 1:31, NRSV). John the Baptist then speaks of the baptism of Jesus, and the Holy Spirit descending like a dove on him, and how Jesus will baptize us with the Holy Spirit (Jn. 1:32-34, NRSV).
          As you are keeping your eyes closed, hear the gentle flow of the Jordan River, enjoy the warm sunny day, as you are sitting on the banks of the river. As you listen to John speak of this Jesus, Jesus continues walking towards you.
As your eyes are closed, what is this like for you? What does Jesus look like as he approaches? What emotions inside of you are evoked as he gets closer, and closer, and closer? Does he have a nice smile? Does he seems to have holy light and love all around him? What does he look like?
          As Jesus still approaches you, and then finally gets to where you are, what is like to be in the presence of the living God? How do you feel? Do you cry? Do you laugh?
          Please open your eyes. Does anyone here feel calmer, more joyous, or more at peace right now? Being in the presence of Jesus, following him, living like him, this is our lifelong goal as Christians.
          As I was imagining this scene in John’s gospel for myself, I thought of the song by the Christian band MercyMe called, “I can only imagine”. In this song the lyrics say, “I can only imagine what it will be like when I walk by your side. I can only imagine what my eyes will see when your face is before me. I can only imagine, surrounded by your glory, what will my heart feel, will I dance for you Jesus or in awe of you be still, will I stand in your presence or to my knees will I fall, will I sing hallelujah, will I be able to speak at all I can only imagine” (https://www.google.com/#q=mercyme+i+can+only+imagine+lyrics&safe=active).
          My friends, my sisters and brothers on this day, Jesus Christ, the savior of the world comes to John the Baptist and his disciples, and as the song says, “I can only imagine” what it must have been like to stand in Jesus’ presence.
          When John the Baptist announces that Jesus is coming, he calls him “the Lamb of God” (Jn. 1:29b, NRSV). In the ancient Jewish faith, on that first Passover in Egypt, and in other instances, God called the Israelites to sacrifice a pure, white, and spotless lamb, for the atonement of their sins. During that first Passover in Egypt when the Jews were preparing to exit slavery under the Pharaoh, God told the people to sacrifice a pure, white, and spotless lamb. They were to then take some of the blood of this lamb, and put it on their door posts and lintels, so that the angel of death would Passover their homes. This is why the Jewish holiday is called Passover.
          This morning, John the Baptist, Jesus’ cousin, is claiming that Jesus is the new Passover lamb. In this case though, when Jesus dies on a cross, his blood will not cover the doors ways and lintels of our front doors, but will cover the door ways and lintels of our hearts and our souls. Jesus is the pure, white, and spotless Lamb of God who comes to love, heal, and forgive, and to die for all of us. Jesus is the “Lamb of God who takes the sin of the world!” (Jn. 1:29, NRSV).
          Given all of this, what must it have been like to stand in the presence of Jesus Christ? How do we become more like this Jesus whom we follow? I don’t know exactly what I would say or do if Jesus were to come in here in right now. I might just fall to me knees right here. “I can only imagine”.
          The story of the gospel for this morning ends with Jesus the day after this encounter, being called again by John the Baptist, “the Lamb of God!” (Jn. 1:36b, NRSV).
          As soon as John says this, two of John’s disciples immediately go and follow Jesus (Jn. 1:37, NRSV). Then these two disciples asked Jesus where he was staying, and Jesus said, “Come and see” (Jn. 1:38-39, NRSV).
          These two disciples then stayed with Jesus that day, and at about 4:00 pm, one of these men, Andrew, went and told his brother Peter, “We have found the Messiah” (which is translated Anointed)” (Jn. 1:39b-41, NRSV).
          Jesus then meets Simon Peter and says, “You are Simon son of John. You are to be called Cephas” (Jn. 1:42, NRSV). “Cephas” is an Aramaic name, as Jesus spoke Aramaic, which means “a rock,” or “Peter” in Greek.
          I wonder what this day was like for those first disciples of Jesus? I wonder what it was like when Peter first saw Jesus? What would it be like if we were to look at Jesus face to face?
          My friends, my sisters and brothers, in having now served as the pastor of four United Methodist Churches, I have the pleasure of meeting and ministering to many people. Some of the people that I have encountered have unfortunately told me though, that they have been hurt in the past by the church. Some of these people, as a result, no longer even go to church. Yet in the many ministry settings that I have had the pleasure to serve in, I have never, and I mean never, talked with someone who has found fault with Jesus.
          As Christians, it is our job then, to make the church look like Jesus, the one who came to love, heal, and forgive. May we seek his face today, and may we both individually and as the church seek to be more like him. In doing so people won’t talk about how the church hurt them, but rather they will talk about how this church, and us, are like Jesus. As a result, the will come to Jesus, and the church will grow in number, love, and strength. May we seek his presence today and always! Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment